AV Receiver or Speaker Upgrade

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony isn't very honest in their ratings, but the key number I found was it's "Power Consumption". They don't inflate that! The specs say 240w total. So even at a physics-defying perfect efficiency, 240 divided by 7 is 34w for each channel.
That is not the right way to do it because we don't know the basis of Sony's specified power consumption, nor the avr's overall efficiencies.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
That is not the right way to do it because we don't know the basis of Sony's specified power consumption, nor the avr's overall efficiencies.
I guess they don't say what volume it was at when they rated it. But they don't have any standardized measure of speaker power either. What's that "ratings based only on playing a single 1khz tone on some 6ohm speakers that you can't buy anywhere".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've read it's the power consumption at the 2ch rating but not sure. I know my avr can bench above it's power consumption rating, and a/b amps aren't all that efficient, plus running the rest of the rig....but without a real spec for the power supply or the stated rating....who knows.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess they don't say what volume it was at when they rated it. But they don't have any standardized measure of speaker power either. What's that "ratings based only on playing a single 1khz tone on some 6ohm speakers that you can't buy anywhere".
Right on, it's a real mess.., in recent years Yamaha sometimes would provide two numbers, one is just power consumption that is typically much lower than those specified by comparable D&M models, and the other they called "maximum" power consumption that seems to be based on 10 % THD without mentioning the duration.

D&M's, Onkyo, and Sony just say power consumption, without adjectives/conditions. @hd, I don't believe there is any applicable standard that they all follow.

In the end, we can only rely on reviews that include measurements, currently only found on the S&V and Audioholics.com websites. The British AVtech and HCC used to do it, but stopped about 5-6 years ago.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the great info! It definitely looks like the front stage needs to be upgraded first. I’d like to compare SVS Ultras and Klipsch RP speakers for sound and $. I’m not sure if Best Buy’s Magnolia room will have them here in town...

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I’d like to compare SVS Ultras and Klipsch RP speakers for sound and $. I’m not sure if Best Buy’s Magnolia room will have them here in town...
Not to worry! SVS allows for a 45 day in-home trial and their customer support is top notch. They make for hassle-free returns if you decide you don't like them. There's good reason they are so confident though. I sold SVS myself and honored the same SVS "Bill of Rights." ...never had a single return.

Even if your local BB/Magnolia has them available for demo, nothing beats in an in-home audition since there are too many variables at the store compared to your own space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis