Automatic RCA audio switch?

• Thread starter Graeme Williamson
  • Start date
G

Graeme Williamson

Enthusiast
Hi folks. I'm a relative beginner so bear with me. I have a situation where I want to switch automatically between two analog RCA audio inputs depending on what signal is available. If both signals are available, it should prioritise one over the other. I bought a cheap product that I thought would do the job, the trouble is the auto-switching is triggered by the video signal (and I only have audio) - this wasn't clear in the description. I'm happy to pay a little bit more for a product that works but this is a non-essential item so I'm not really wanting to spend lots of money on it. It's all linked to an amp in my loft and a waterproof speaker in my bathroom so the sound quality doesn't really need to be amazing. Help appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might help to be more specific about all your gear and why this solution was needed....can't say I'd even seen something like your switching box before tho I've always had many inputs to use...

G

Graeme Williamson

Enthusiast
Ok, here goes - I know, it’s pretty nuts ;-)

I have a Yamaha MusicCast multiroom system and it was critical for me that the bathroom integrated into this as well as being able to be used as a stand alone system. Regrettably, Yamaha don’t do a water resistant speaker (unlike Sonos), so I needed to opt for a separate waterproof speaker connected to an amp, connected to the MusicCast enabled WX AD-10 wireless streaming adapter https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/890865/web_WXAD-10_om_ABG_En.pdf

This works well, but I wanted to take it a step further and get voice control so that I can have hands free operation in the bathroom for obvious reasons. So I got an ‘Amazon Echo Input’ https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQFQVWJNM65N7FM8 - this is the only bit of kit (apart from the speaker) that is in the bathroom itself, the rest is in the attic above the bathroom. Now, Alexa can control the WXAD-10 via the MusicCast skills but the options are limited. The WXAD-10 also supports Bluetooth so I can connect the Echo to it that way. But if I’m playing music through the WXAD-10, this disconnects the Bluetooth link between the Echo and the WXAD-10 and so when I talk to Alexa, I can’t hear what she’s saying and it takes a while to reestablish the Bluetooth link which is a pain (the Echo Input doesn’t have a speaker itself - it relies on an external speaker connected by aux or Bluetooth). So I was trying to find a system that allows me to run the Echo and the WXAD-10 back to the amp individually and use the AUX out on the Echo to connect it to the amp. The problem is that the amp is in the attic, so I can’t switch between inputs on the amp itself, so I wanted something that would switch automatically between the inputs so that I can connect it to a single input on the amp. The Echo would be priority so that if Alexa was talking/playing something, then you’d here it, and if not, it would default to the WXAD-10.
I realise that this system is pretty convoluted but I am eager to try and make it work if possible without breaking the bank. I’ve found several products that would do exactly the job I need if I also had a video feed, but regrettable I only have analog audio outs from the Echo and WXAD-10.

Maybe you wish you hadn’t asked!

G

Graeme Williamson

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I don’t see anything about it being able to detect which input is live though (and switch between them), do you know if this would do that or if it would simply mix the sound from both inputs together?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It seems that would do it but wonder how well it works for your purposes with the way it reacts to signal sensing when the B signal comes thru (in the product description). It also doesn't specify what the signal strength needs to be but if it works with typical audio line levels then it should be okay. I'd also run across what looked to be a discontinued product called the Speakercraft LL-1 that might do it but the descriptions I found weren't very detailed. All this fuss just to talk to a box? :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What you want would be a ducker. Something that ducks one audio signal when another is present, then returns to the other signal after the second one goes away. This is often used in paging systems with background music. Someone speaks into a mic, the music cuts out. They stop talking and the music cuts back in.

It is not typical for home audio systems, but the Sonance ASAP1 is an example of an amplifier with two inputs on it where it auto-switches between two inputs. Designed for 'local' and 'remote' sources.

I found this as it looks like a current product without amplification built in...
https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8396/automatic-two-way-source-selector/dp/29X0259

Key features are that it can be set to wait to switch back to the 'first' source with a range between .5 and 120 seconds. So, quiet passages won't trigger it to return to the first audio source in error.

Last edited:
G

Graeme Williamson

Enthusiast
It seems that would do it but wonder how well it works for your purposes with the way it reacts to signal sensing when the B signal comes thru (in the product description). It also doesn't specify what the signal strength needs to be but if it works with typical audio line levels then it should be okay. I'd also run across what looked to be a discontinued product called the Speakercraft LL-1 that might do it but the descriptions I found weren't very detailed. All this fuss just to talk to a box? :)
Thanks for all your help!

G

Graeme Williamson

Enthusiast
What you want would be a ducker. Something that ducks one audio signal when another is present, then returns to the other signal after the second one goes away. This is often used in paging systems with background music. Someone speaks into a mic, the music cuts out. They stop talking and the music cuts back in.

It is not typical for home audio systems, but the Sonance ASAP1 is an example of an amplifier with two inputs on it where it auto-switches between two inputs. Designed for 'local' and 'remote' sources.

I found this as it looks like a current product without amplification built in...
https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8396/automatic-two-way-source-selector/dp/29X0259

Key features are that it can be set to wait to switch back to the 'first' source with a range between .5 and 120 seconds. So, quiet passages won't trigger it to return to the first audio source in error.
Thanks so much - this is really useful information. I'm in the UK and it's looking more difficult to source this product here but it looks like it might be what I need. Much appreciated!

L

latteDev

Audiophyte
A simple solution is to use noise gates. You can get these as multiple input or just buy guitar noise gates.At around £23 each they should do the job. A noise gate is simply a variable level input device that is triggered at a threshold Voltage. Sound engineers use these combined with a compressor to give soft gating, but given you only want a given audio signal selected when there is a signal present these are ideal.

S

scottc

Audiophyte
I found a very nice solution to the OP's question. There's a company named Rolls based in Lake City, Utah that makes a device called the "DU30B Audio Ducker" (available from many places, including Amazon). I'm using it to dual-source my TV audio and an Echo Dot into one input of my (admittedly legacy, but nice) stereo.

The TV goes into the LINE input, it's the "ducked" device. The (output from the) Echo goes into the AUX input, it's the "ducking" device. So normally, the TV just plays its audio as usual. But if I want to use the Echo, I just speak the wakeword, and it silences the TV and takes over the audio. This has a couple of nice side benefits. One is that silencing the TV makes it easier for Alexa to understand my speech. Another is that I can play audio from the Echo (e.g., streaming music) without having to turn on the TV. The Rolls DU30B switches seamlessly and silently between the inputs, with adjustable sensitivity and delays.

I use a Fire TV cube to control the TV itself, and the Echo Dot interacts with and controls it - again, seamlessly. I set the wakeword on the Fire TV cube to something different so I'm always speaking just to the Echo.

I read up on the MCM Custom Audio device referenced above, and apparently it uses a loud-ish mechanical switch that is annoying. I also tried the Echo Link and found that it didn't have the adjustments or functionality to work (officially, a TV input is not supported). The Rolls device plus an Echo Dot gives me everything I need, and is less expensive than the Echo Link.

jeffspace2002

jeffspace2002

Audiophyte
I know this topic started well over nine months ago, hopefully I am not too late with my answer. I saw this post back in march and I have found a solution I would like to share. I have a similar problem as OP. I own a jukebox and my goal is to have music come from the speakers whether or not someone selected a song. The way I want to go about that is to automatically switch to the primary (Jukebox) if a song is playing, otherwise play from another audio source (mp3 or cd).
One of these devices should be what you are looking for:

Switch, Automatic, Speaker/Line Level, Two Way, 12 VDC, 100 mA, 3.5mm Connector

Russound AB32 Ab Selector (This one has sensitivity settings)

Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction. I will post once I have bought, installed and tested this device for all those interested. Do post back, as I am also interested in your solution.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks. I'm a relative beginner so bear with me. I have a situation where I want to switch automatically between two analog RCA audio inputs depending on what signal is available. If both signals are available, it should prioritise one over the other. I bought a cheap product that I thought would do the job, the trouble is the auto-switching is triggered by the video signal (and I only have audio) - this wasn't clear in the description. I'm happy to pay a little bit more for a product that works but this is a non-essential item so I'm not really wanting to spend lots of money on it. It's all linked to an amp in my loft and a waterproof speaker in my bathroom so the sound quality doesn't really need to be amazing. Help appreciated.
If you have a fan that sends humid air out of the bathroom, a MusicCast speaker should be fine. You're not dousing it with water, are you? As long as the air isn't extremely humid all day/every day, it shouldn't have a problem. If you can install a dual voice coil in-wall or in-ceiling speaker, you can use a small amplifier and connect that to the Yamaha's preamp output, if it's like the AVRs, or WXC/WXA-50 units.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I know this topic started well over nine months ago, hopefully I am not too late with my answer. I saw this post back in march and I have found a solution I would like to share. I have a similar problem as OP. I own a jukebox and my goal is to have music come from the speakers whether or not someone selected a song. The way I want to go about that is to automatically switch to the primary (Jukebox) if a song is playing, otherwise play from another audio source (mp3 or cd).
While those devices are similar to what is listed in prior posts, these are for speaker level sources (already amplified) vs. line level sources (pre-amplification). So, they aren't good for the original poster, but they are in line with the discussion and may be good for someone who is looking for a solution that involves two amplifiers.

Similarly, Sonance made the ASAP-1 which was an amplifier which had two integrated audio connections on it to allow for both a local source (like TV audio) and a remote source (like whole house audio) to be fed into it and would automatically switch between the two.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis