Auto Tires Replacement

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
The tires on my truck are 21 years old. There is good tread left, but there are small cracks on the side and in the tread area. I don't drive the truck much. I had a low tire this morning and the tire shop I went to refused to repair the tire. He gave me a huge price quote for new tires and a front end alignment.

Any recommendations for good tire shops?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Thanks. I'll check them out.

The '67', as in a Corvette?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The tires on my truck are 21 years old. There is good tread left, but there are small cracks on the side and in the tread area. I don't drive the truck much. I had a low tire this morning and the tire shop I went to refused to repair the tire. He gave me a huge price quote for new tires and a front end alignment.

They gave you the correct advice. Those tires are far too old and very dangerous. There is no point in putting on new tires without checking wheel alignment. That will cause your expensive tires to wear out prematurely.

Good quality tires with installation and alignment are expensive. Cheap tires are also the most expensive. So check prices of comparable tires from different dealers.

The only outfit, I would avoid for sure is Discount Tire. They run up bills repeatedly and get into unnecessary work. They also do flat plug tire repairs free, to make people think they are good guys and return. Those repairs should not be allowed and are very dangerous.

In general I find the independent dealers tend to be the most honest and reliable. Even if it is a Goodyear dealer for instance, it still may be locally owned and run as a franchise.

I use a locally owned Goodyear dealer, and they are honest and fair, but not cheap. Tires are a very important part of the vehicle. The last thing you need are poor quality tires sloppily installed.

What tire is best for you very much depends on where you live and the climatic conditions. For instance in climates not prone to snow and ice, you can install harder longer life tires. If you are in the frozen North that is not such a good idea and a good all weather radial a safer option.

Depending on the vehicle a new set of quality tires with alignment and adjustment as required, is going to run you $600.00 to $800.00 for high quality tires.

Lastly if you are going to part with that vehicle soon, then cheaper tires are a reasonable option. For a vehicle in regular use, cheap tires are the expensive option.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
while we are on the subject and being nitty gritty with details be sure to check the date code of manufacture on the sidewall of the tires. IMO they should be within 6 months or newer.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
while we are on the subject and being nitty gritty with details be sure to check the date code of manufacture on the sidewall of the tires. IMO they should be within 6 months or newer.
Great advice! I had a spare tire that had good tire thread, it was old plus the sidewall had little cracks. Well tire blew out. Was riding around town in the city park, my speed was 15 when it blew out. Hate to think if I was on the HWY. But yeah, even if tire looks like it has good thread but has sidewall cracks or it's old don't chance it. Tire rubber gets hard as the tire gets old. Plus they won't hold air as good.

TLS Guy, is Absolutely correct, never let any shop use those tire plugs. Sure if your In a bind? use a tire plug but replace that tire as soon as possible. Had two flat tires at once, put spare on and plugged the other. I keep a 12 Volt, DC air pump and a tire plug kit in my truck for emergencies. Plus two gallons of water, two rolls of TT paper, one of those medical pee bottles, two frame jack stands small ones, a 1/2 drive electrical impact with the DC plug to recharge or plug into a DC input for 12 volt, plus a deep well socket lug sized, battery powered of course. Road side reflectors that blank and two flares.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Those tires are most likely 15 or 16 years past the end of their service life. The rubber tends to start cracking on the sidewalls and tread after around 5 or 6 years depending on the conditions the tires have seen. At this point they need to be replaced even if they only have 200 miles on them.

I don't know what constitutes a "huge price quote" to you, but on our Civic I expect to spend about $1k for tires and alignment later this year as the tires are 6 years old at this point and will need to be replaced. For my Supra I'll be looking closer to $1600 for tires and alignment. Tires are the only thing connecting you to the road and have an impact on almost every aspect of your car's performance and safety from how well your car brakes, to fuel economy and just about everything in between.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I've always found the local tire shops by me have been willing to price match to tirerack or discount tire.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We only have one in town and they're good people to deal with. It used to be a Les Schwab Tire until Schwab decided wasn't enough money in it for them, but have used Schwab many times and found them good to deal with, too. I'm sure the prices will have gone up since my last set, but planning on late summer to replace on my truck before winter arrives. I could order from Tire Rack and have them install, too, but rather just throw the whole thing to a local.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, cracks on the sidewalls mean that the tires are no longer safe. Checking the date code on new tires is good advice. Some shops try and sell 5 or 10 year old stock and the rubber does in fact have a limited life span My local mechanic runs under the Firestone banner and has always had the best price on Bridgestone, my preferred brand. Even cheaper than Costco, so I like to give the business to my local shop.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Take my advice with a grain of salt, I was only in the auto business for 20 years. Tires have very little profit margin and most shops pricing doesn’t very too much and generally everyone price matches. Find a local mechanic that you like and take it there. Don’t cheap out on tires, the fact you got 20 years out of a set makes me think your next set of tires is going to last the rest of your lifetime.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just get used tires and have them get me the date code on the tires. Get ~80% of the tread for 40% of the cost. Been doing this for the better part of 30 years and so far no problems.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Best advice yet on here. Even buying tires at a dealer, before they put them on, check the date code. Some tire peddlers will try to slip in a old dated "new looking " tire still with stickers. The date code appears in the DOT (Department Of Transportation) field, where other tire markings are present. The first codes are for the US market requirements. The date code appears at the end, with four numbers. The first two numbers designate the week and the last two numbers, the year of production.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just get used tires and have them get me the date code on the tires. Get ~80% of the tread for 40% of the cost. Been doing this for the better part of 30 years and so far no problems.
Is it hard to find used tires and four of them?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Not for me. I just call ahead find out what they have, the date code and approximate tread left. My only thing is to get the same for the fronts or the rears. I don't have have all four the same.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
By the way, if you buy your tires from Costco, in addition to 2% or 4% off (executive membership + Costco Visa), they will install them and do wheel alignment for you, which is included in the price of the tires.
They also have absolutely free for everyone Nitrogen fill on their parking lot. Never pay extra for that stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis