Auralex To The Rescue

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Well I finally broke down and bought a room kit from Auralex. All I can say is WOW what a difference this has made. :D

Dialogue is much more focused and centered between the speakers. The midrange and high frequencies are less irritating and smoother. Im hearing more of the recordings ambiance instead of the room.

I used some of the info from the site to find my first reflection point. The mirror trick worked really well. I took care of all the ceiling corners where I had bad echo. I then put 2' x 2' sections around the perimeter starting at the first reflection points. I also nailed the back wall. I still need to nail the ceiling and maybe the hallway off the main room. The hallway still has some echo. Anyone have thoughts on that ?

All in all I must say this is the best 100 bucks I have ever spent on audio gear. :)

Cheers,
Glenn

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Yet another testimonial to the truth that room acoustics rule!

Last edited:
M

mirage1

Enthusiast
Just wondering do you have any pictures of your setup & the placement of the treatments?

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Glad to see someone seeing(hearing) how much room treatments help. Yes, the sound improvement per dollar is excellent. I don't know what you got but bass traps, either diy or pre made, help much more than most people realize. This will actually help the midrange sound "cleaner" besides letting the bass sound more pronounced rather than the bass cancelling itself out. Bass traps will also smooth the frequency response in the lows. For a cheap diy trap all you need is a roll of R19 fiberglass or two. Cover it to make it look better and you have an effective bass trap for under twenty bucks. Just be sure to leave it in the bag.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Unfortunately I do not own a digital camera or I would send some pics. Hopefully in the future. My room is 12 x 13' room with efficiency kitchen attached.

I ended up going with DST D36 Roominators System. It contained 36 1'x1' pieces. I got the burgundy and grey colors. I did not get any bass traps yet. That is still going to happen along with taking care of my ceiling. Im on a tight budget living in San Francisco and paying ridiculous rent. The total amount of money spent was 120.00 with velcro. I decided against the glue substance they include with the kit because I was afraid of what it would do to the walls.

Im still in awe of how good things sound now. I now officially consider the room and how its treated as the most important aspect of a good sounding system.

Cheers,
Glenn

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
"Im still in awe of how good things sound now. I now officially consider the room and how its treated as the most important aspect of a good sounding system."

You are so right. It's amazing. Some people spend many thousands on their systems and then try different wire and have to convince themselves they hear a difference. Room treatment is no less than wonderful and certainly has an audible effect. Equalization of some sort is also a good thing to try. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Tact DSP preamp that will do, in short, amazing things. You can get a radio shack spl meter and a Rives audio cd that is corrected for the RS meter and get an idea what happens in your room. The people who do it, myself included, are usually shocked to see the frequency response that a room creates. It's pretty ugly. Happy to hear you are enjoying your system more and discovered what some room treatment can do.

E

EricH

Audiophyte
I’m starting to be convinced of the need for room treatment as well. I have a bass boom problem and checked the room’s corners with a SPL meter. Sure enough it pegged (my subwoofer was disconnected for this test).

I live in an apartment and can’t affix permanent treatments. I saw a set of Auralex bass traps on stands at sweetwater.com. These traps look like I could cover them with acoustic fabric to make them presentable.

Can putting these traps in the corners of the room help smooth out the boom?

Thanks,
Eric

plhart

Audioholic
"Well I finally broke down and bought a room kit from Auralex. All I can say is WOW what a difference this has made. Dialogue is much more focused and centered between the speakers. The midrange and high frequencies are less irritating and smoother. Im hearing more of the recordings ambiance instead of the room."

Congratulations! The absorptive room treatment you've added has apparently worked for you. Those are the most important results. It's why we keep writing and reporting on room treatment.

"I used some of the info from the site to find my first reflection point. The mirror trick worked really well. I took care of all the ceiling corners where I had bad echo."

A suggestion for possible replacement of your panels? The first reflection points on the sidewalls ceiling and floor are more important to take care of first than any other area. See articles 2 and 3 of the CEDIA seminars:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/Acoustics101THX.php

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/roomacoustictreatments.php

Treating first reflection points is a correct first and most important step. First reflections cannot be treated electronically. See my article with Tom Holman to hear it from the man himself.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/AudysseyMultEQ.php

Note that the important distinction here is that you are treating first reflections to attenuate reflected sound waves at the listening position. Nowhere in the two articles above will you read from either John Dahl of THX or Tony Grimani that the corners of a ceiling need to be treated. Again the operative phrase to keep in mind in room tuning is what do the reflected waves do at the listening position. I'm not saying you don't hear a difference with your absorptive panels in a reflective corner, I'm just saying there are much better places to use the material more effectively, like for the ceiling's first reflections.

"I still need to nail the ceiling and maybe the hallway off the main room. The hallway still has some echo. Anyone have thoughts on that ?"

Answered above. Ceiling yes, hallway, no. Unless that is you want to hear clearly from the hallway.

"I then put 2' x 2' sections around the perimeter starting at the first reflection points. I also nailed the back wall."

Back wall, YES! Around perimeter, much better than nothing, although maybe some of the panels will work better according to the lay-out shown from CEDIA Seminar 3.

"All in all I must say this is the best 100 bucks I have ever spent on audio."

You got that right. Terrific! You do not mention the thickness of the panels which is the most important spec but it sounds like you've achieved the equivalent of the THX X-curve response at your listening position with the addition of attenuating the nastiest first reflections at the same time. Bet it is sounds great! (The X-curve is flat response to 2KHz followed by a 1.5dB roll-off per octave thereafter. Most Home THX receivers have this capability which is meant to counteract the THX theater response curve left on many DVDs during transfer to the DVD medium.)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thanks for the input. The foam is 2 innch studio foam wedges. I picked it up on a fluke at a Guitar Center Grand Opening down the street from where I live.

Being my studio is 12' x 12' with an efficiency kitchen attached and a hallway leading off. Being my ceiling is stucco and im not sure about going there yet. What would you recommend as an alternative? I can free up roughly 8 to panels and reconfigurre them some place else. Possibly more on the back and side wall. :confused:

I guess the best way to visualize the setup is by lookig at your screen and imagining a small kitchen in the wall to the upper right and hallway entry on the lower right. System is off to the left at top of screen facing back wall. There are two windows behind the system to the right.There is a bed on right side of the back wall and a desk on the left.

Hope this helps. I attached a pic of the kit I purchased.

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

plhart

Audioholic
The ceiling IS the next best place. About 3" down from the ceiling try putting 1 each eyebolt into three consecutive wall studs from left-to-right across your listening area for 48" total. Now tightly string monofilament fishing line across from left-to-right so you can put the foam wedges on top of the monofilament and move the wedges around. Best areas for the foam will correspond to the exact locations you'd see in a mirror, just like you did with your walls. Eyebolt holes should be an easy patch later on if necessary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis