Auralex SubDude HD Video Review

S

Shiitaki

Enthusiast
Rather Ironic really

In the audio world there are so many extremes, and different opinions about which is best. In so many reviews one of the steps used to critically listen is to install spikes that are designed specifically couple a speaker to the floor so the cabinet doesn't move around. This product specifically allows the sub to move around without coupling it to the floor. Exact opposites. The real question is does the sub dude come with spikes?

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
In the audio world there are so many extremes, and different opinions about which is best. In so many reviews one of the steps used to critically listen is to install spikes that are designed specifically couple a speaker to the floor so the cabinet doesn't move around. This product specifically allows the sub to move around without coupling it to the floor. Exact opposites. The real question is does the sub dude come with spikes?
Since the foam in the Sub-Dude's function is to sonically isolate the subwoofer from the floor, my guess is that the foam does not transmit the vibrations that typically cause speakers to move. If the vibrations aren't finding their way through the foam, then the bottom of the Sub-Dude isn't gonna be subjected to any forces that would cause it to move.

Now, when it comes to the subwoofer moving around on top of the Sub-Dude, I don't know, but my subwoofer, which tips the scales at 90 pounds, doesn't seem to exhibit any problems with wandering around my listening area (or, if it does, the distances moved are microscopic).

I defer to someone else's more expert opinion on this latter case, but I'll stick by my guns when talking about the Sub-Dude platform not moving.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
Anyone know if something similar can be accomplished with Auralex Uboats? I have about 6 of them left over from making my seating platform.

split0101

split0101

Junior Audioholic
Works Great

I just picked up a Gramma for my EP500 (SubDude was to small) and it works great. I feel that it has helped with the floor vibrating every time the sub fired which was pretty annoying. I ended up hearing more of the rattles then the actual sub.

I read on some forums guys building their own isolation pads from old mouse pads but I seriously doubt that would work as that foam would compress defeating the purpose.

I would recommend this product. I think you could probably build one for less but for the $50 I spent it was not outrageous.

T

Tim DH

Audiophyte
Auralex effectiveness

I was always told and believe that a speaker enclosure needs to be rigid so the box isn't getting pushed around by the cone movements and actually dissipating the cones output energy. In effect you would get a little less output from the speaker and the sound it's generating would be a little blurred, the cone is not moving in a perfect pistonic motion.

I would think the Auralex would decrease the output level of the driver and make imaging a little less precise??!! If things are vibrating in the room then fix or eliminate the rattle.! Did you guys measure an output level of the sub with and without the stand to see if output is reduced or affected.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis