Augmenting Magneplanar 3.7i

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
A pair of DWMs? These can go to 40 hz.
A pair of rel s5?
or a pair of JL audio fathom v2?

The room is 40 feet x 14 feet with a sloping ceiling (7 feet to 15 feet). The maggies are 5 feet away from a short wall. Listening area is 10 feet away from the speakers.

My concern is timing. I don't have a processor or eq in the chain. Just digital file->dac (gustard x20)-> magtech amp. Maybe I need to add a miniDSP but I really want to keep the electronics simple.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like the Gustard has two sets of line-outs. If you want to keep it simple, just connect the subs directly to the extra line-outs. If I were you, I would be looking at a couple SVS SB16-Ultras or Rythmik F25s. If you can hike the budget a bit more, maybe a couple of Funk Audio 18.0s.

As for timing, you will need something to measure the response, so you can set the phase to get the subs time-aligned with the speakers. But if I were you, I would set aside preconceived notions of a simple electrical signal path and arrange a way involving bass management. The problem is, your maggies do strain at bass frequencies when high dynamics are needed, so they generate distortion, and this distortion creeps into frequencies well above that bass range. By using bass management, you alleviate the Maggies of having to deal with the high excursions of bass frequencies, and it does everything else cleaner.

If you want something simple, get one of these or one of these. The miniDSP would be great s well, especially when used with a UMIK mic to gauge the response.

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
Thank you. I was tempted to get the nano DSP which works in the digital realm but they only specify up to 192 kbps. That would exclude any DSD files. And I'd rather not process in the anolg domain because then you have an A/D conversion, followed by the processing, followed by D/A conversion.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Files with such high sampling rate actually end up having a worse fidelity than files with sensible sampling rates. I am not sure about amplifiers, but in speakers, all it will do is cause needless intermodulation distortion that dips into audible frequencies. There is zero advantage in such high sampling rates.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis