Audyssey XT settings+app

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Hello. I purchased the app a week ago and i am trying to fine tune my 3.1 system. My amp is marantz5013

İ see that in the CURVE EDITOR we can edit and “fix” the curves, in each set of speakers, and the subwoofer even. How we do fix the curves, what i have to do excactly? I can upload all my speakers results.
MultEQ fiter frequency range, what we can do there?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello. I purchased the app and i am trying to fine tune my 3.1 system. My amp is marantz5013

İ see that in the CURVE EDITOR we can edit and “fix” the curves, in each set of speakers, and the subwoofer even. How we do fix the curves, what i have to do excactly? I can upload all my speakers results.
MultEQ fiter frequemcy range, what we can do there too?
I think you need accurate measurements to be able to fine tune with the app. Unless you know how your speakers and sub are behaving you're pretty much just guessing.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I think you need accurate measurements to be able to fine tune with the app. Unless you know how your speakers and sub are behaving you're pretty much just guessing.
There is a mic like a pyramid that is was inside marantz. They put a bad mic inside?
I cant use the audyssey mic to fine tune audyssey?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is a mic like a pyramid that is was inside marantz. They put a bad mic inside?
I cant use the audyssey mic to fine tune audyssey?
Based on my experience and measurements the "after" charts that Audyssey shows you are not accurate measurements. They're a target. If you want to know exactly what's going on in your room you need a program like REW and a good measurement mic. Any adjusting you do using the app without proper measurements you're going to have to do by ear.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
İ can give it a shot with this curves maybe and this equipment...nothing is gonna break or burn right?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Using the audyssey app, they show you a poor resolution image of the measured response, then their perhaps overly optimistic “After.” I think the “Before” is likely a tru-ish representation. But playing with the target curve is a little like a crap shoot as you can’t, at that point, know how your room is actually responding to the changes you introduce.
Which is where the freeware, REW, comes in handy. With the Umik1 from miniDSP, they become your measurement device for tweaking and fine tuning.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
İ can give it a shot with this curves maybe and this equipment...nothing is gonna break or burn right?
Sure, but you'll have no idea what the changes are going to do without a way to check with accurate measurements. You may be able to get things to sound better to your ears, but how you get there is complete guesswork,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's the mic I use with REW. Unfortunately this hobby rarely goes hand in hand with "inexpensive". I can tell you that mic and REW have helped me make some big improvements in the way my system sounds. It just boils down to how much you're willing to spend for those improvements. To me it was worth it, but some might argue (my wife, for one) that I have "issues"... lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really think the bulk of your dissatisfaction has more to do with your subwoofer than anything, but optimizing what you have can help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oof.
First rule of subwoofer shopping: don’t buy from a company that doesn’t give you performance specs on the website (including mobile, which is where I looked.) ;)

I’ll go back through that thread for some more context later...
All things being equal, if OP is using the editor app, then he should be able to see what type of corrections Audyssey is attempting to add to the measured, or “Before,” response. This is where our ears and a little acoustics 101 need to merge.
If there are not any significant issues above the Schroeder Frequency, use the App to limit the corrections to below that point, where your room stops acting like a resonant chamber. Save that as a separate file from the non-limited file. Maybe do a set with and without MRC... Then: Listen. Take a couple days with each file and listen to one or two songs to hear how they sound. Keep some notes on the differences... is the bass clean or muddy? Are the mids clear or strident?
Other things you can dive into is really looking at placement of your speakers and sub. Make certain you are finding the best position with consideration to distance from front wall, side walls, toe in angle vs. perpendicular, and you LP in relation to those. For your sub, do the crawl and make certain it is in its best possible home.
Nice thing is: that’s all free. If you get your ears trained a bit, you can hear some of the differences, then measure again with aud and compare the results. :)

Forgive the pedantry here, but there is a lot you can do with just Aud and a little patience and perseverance. If you are really keen to go deeper, then Room EQ Wizard and the umik is the next path.

Cheers!

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Sure, but you'll have no idea what the changes are going to do without a way to check with accurate measurements. You may be able to get things to sound better to your ears, but how you get there is complete guesswork,
While I agree that taking measurements with REW or Omnimic is always the way it should be done, and the only way you'll be able to verify 100% what the final results are, I don't really agree it's complete guesswork to the extent people shouldn't adjust the curves--especially in the bass region.

It's no more guesswork than sticking with the standard Reverence curve. How well Audyssey corrects to that is unknown, so you aren't introducing any more unkowns into the equation. What you do know is Audyssey will try it's best to correct to the new curve exactly the same way it tries its best to correct to the Reference curve.

In my experience, the Audyssey mic is also much better than people give it credit for and can be used as a usefull "before" measuring tool. If you download Ratbuddy you can look at each individual measurement from each speaker in high resolution. I can see a slight drop in resolution below 50 hz or so and it seems to roll of just a bit more than my Omnimic under 20 hz, but it still can provide a plethera of useful information for somebody who doesn't have anything else for trouble shooting, speaker/sub placement, and generally getting a feel for exactly what the native response of each speaker is so they can make more informed decisions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis