speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, when running Audyssey the first (6) measurements are very easy to get/read. However, the last (2) are NOT because my seating position is against the wall as seen in the attached photos. The first (6) measurements are very easy to take at ear height, but the last (2) are not. Even with my tri-pod at its lowest level it is still above ear height. Any advice on how to deal with that problem? Want to take measurements that are as accurate as I can get. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Folks, when running Audyssey the first (6) measurements are very easy to get/read. However, the last (2) are NOT because my seating position is against the wall as seen in the attached photos. The first (6) measurements are very easy to take at ear height, but the last (2) are not. Even with my tri-pod at its lowest level it is still above ear height. Any advice on how to deal with that problem? Want to take measurements that are as accurate as I can get. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil
That is a lousy position. I would exclude that position and not attempt measurements there.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is a lousy position. I would exclude that position and not attempt measurements there.
I agree it is a bad place for measurement purposes. But, will that skew the results? There is bound to be a way to get a decent measurement in such a lousy area. Have any ideas? Thought about finding a tiny sized tri-pod, no? But, that would take a few minutes to switch the mic from my regular sized tri-pod to the much smaller. Not sure if I would have enough time before the Denon times out?

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Given that setup, I'd probably do it in the spots labeled below. All measurements need to be ear height.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Given that setup, I'd probably do it in the spots labeled below. All measurements need to be ear height.

It is best not to measure at a bad position, as it will make the good positions worse.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It is best not to measure at a bad position, as it will make the good positions worse.
Last I knew, Audyssey weighed each measurement against the other and discarded any outliers. So if you cluster 5 measurements and they're all similar or at least within the Audyssey tolerances they are accepted. If you then have 1-2 measurements that are very different, Audyssey discards them.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Alex, I see that YOU spared the candy.....LOL!!!! looks like my UK blankey has been spared too.....LOL!!!! Too bad I am out of Snickers! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That does make sense. There is really no way to get a measurement at ear level in that position. Either way, it is bound to skew the results somewhat. Even using a very small mini tri-pod would still be above ear level.

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That does make sense. There is really no way to get a measurement at ear level in that position. Either way, it is bound to skew the results somewhat. Even using a very small mini tri-pod would still be above ear level.

Cheers,

Phil
Just for reference, when you take measurements on the couch. It is recommended that the mic be above the back of the couch, even if it is above ear level. Although that may or may not work out for you since your couch is against a wall.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Last I knew, Audyssey weighed each measurement against the other and discarded any outliers. So if you cluster 5 measurements and they're all similar or at least within the Audyssey tolerances they are accepted. If you then have 1-2 measurements that are very different, Audyssey discards them.
That also makes perfect sense. Part of the algorithm perhaps? Guess little things can make a BIG difference. I can easily get (6) good measurements. Chances are that is good enough. Nothing in life is perfect. Unless, you are Kate Beckinsale.......LOL!!!!! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just for reference, when you take measurements on the couch. It is recommended that the mic be above the back of the couch, even if it is above ear level. Although that may or may not work out for you since your couch is against a wall.
That can be done pretty easily. Plan to re-run Audyssey on Tuesday and try to get things dialed in more. Level matching the subs helps a lot. At ~75 db, the gain knob is barely past the 9:00 position. Audyssey set one sub at -10 db and the other at -10.5. So, I turned the levels up a bit on both. Have both set to small room. Giving up some extension in favor of tighter bass. May even look to adjust the Q some. Find the right balance between tightness and/or extension. Got to get a CSL UMik 1 ordered too.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My best Audyssey runs have been a cluster right around the primary listening position, not actual seats nearby. I do use a boom mic to make it a bit easier. Having it set your subs at -10 or -10.5 is actually quite good, gives you more headroom for any boosting later.

ps meant to say boom mic stand....

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The first (6) measurements are very easy to take at ear height, but the last (2) are not.
In my experience, it's not that critical. Remember what you're using Audyssey for. You want to assure phase alignment and volume are the same at your seat. For the last 2 positions, I would simply repeat the first 2 positions.

After Audyssey, you're gonna play with your settings anyway. One surround may be too loud. One may not be loud enough. Voices may be easier to understand with a higher center speaker level. Bass levels may change between music and movies. In other words, you'll customize to your preferences.

So don't worry about it. Use Audyssey as a starting point, not an end point.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My best Audyssey runs have been a cluster right around the primary listening position, not actual seats nearby. I do use a boom mic to make it a bit easier. Having it set your subs at -10 or -10.5 is actually quite good, gives you more headroom for any boosting later.
Right, I have plenty of headroom no doubt. When level matching to 75 db, the gain knob is barely at the 9:00 position. Just increased the levels via my Denon AVR and NOT on the sub's gain. BTW, what is a BOOM mic? I am all about making things easier....LOL!!!!! :p:p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In my experience, it's not that critical. Remember what you're using Audyssey for. You want to assure phase alignment and volume are the same at your seat. For the last 2 positions, I would simply repeat the first 2 positions.

After Audyssey, you're gonna play with your settings anyway. One surround may be too loud. One may not be loud enough. Voices may be easier to understand with a higher center speaker level. Bass levels may change between music and movies. In other words, you'll customize to your preferences.

So don't worry about it. Use Audyssey as a starting point, not an end point.
All valid points. But, I just have my (2) fronts, no center, and no surrounds of any kind. Not really into HT much anymore. I am much more of a music guy. Might get a center later down the road, but I am certainly in no BIG hurry. Going with the Ultra Bookshelfs up front with (2) PSA S1500's is going to work well for me. That us, until I add a (3rd) PSA S1500! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You want to assure phase alignment and volume are the same at your seat. For the last 2 positions, I would simply repeat the first 2 positions.
One more thing. You only have 2 seats to balance. It makes your mic positions even less critical. If you had more seats, especially more seats farther apart, it would become more important.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One more thing. You only have 2 seats to balance. It makes your mic positions even less critical. If you had more seats, especially more seats farther apart, it would become more important.
Yeah, my place is rather small. Going to re-run Audyssey tomorrow and do some more fine tuning. Will try to be a bit more consistent when taking measurements. Got to turn the subs back down because neighbors mentioned to me I woke them up......LOL!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Once you get REW and the UMIK it'll be interesting to see how things look when you spread the mic positions out vs clustering them at your main seating position.

At one of my old places it actually gave a better measurement across all seating positions by clustering around the main LP vs spreading them out, but at the the place I'm in now, it works better to spread them out a little more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis