Audyssey Not Recognizing Subs

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
So I am stumped. We just bought a new house that has a Klipsch In-Ceiling System (mains, surround, sub). I set up my HT (Denon AVR, Samsung TV, X-Box). Speakers worked fine, but I could not get the Klipsch in wall sub to work. I have tried two different receivers, different sub cables, and also pulled out a Def Tech ProSub I haven't used in a couple years. Can't get either sub to work. Audyssey won't recognize either. So I am thinking I am doing something wrong as I am the common denominator in getting either sub to work. The odds of both subs not working with any of my equipment seemed low. Now last night I pulled the Klipsch sub out of the wall to see if it was turned off or what the crossover was set at. The sub is a RW -5802 II. There is no power switch, no crossover. Doing some research according to Klipsch, this sub has to be paired with their amp. So that may be an issue. But I don't know if there is an amp in the wall or not, and it there is, even what it is set at. Assuming it is all set correctly and wired correctly, is there anything special I need to do with my receiver to get it to work? I am just grasping at straws here so any advice on getting either sub to work would be much appreciated. I have tried using optical cable for tv sound rather than the ARC input. Tried X-Box with both games and Netflix. Just different ways to output sound to get the sub to activate.

Thanks,
Albert

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if there's no sound coming from the sub during test tones it could be missing the amp. Where/what do you plug the sub cable into from the avr's pre-out? Not sure what you mean "activate" particularly....you mean like a sub amp with an auto-on feature?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Idk much about Klipsch inwall subs, but my 1st question is do you know if it's a powered sub...if so, have you checked the power source...is it plugged up?

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
For the in wall speakers, there are pre-wired terminals. So for the Klipsch sub I was connecting the avr sub pre-out to the lfe connection on the wall. For the Def Tech sub I am connecting amp to sub.

I know the Def Tech sub has the Auto-On feature, so i know it needs to get a certain level of signal to activate or turn on. Don't know if the Klipsch operates the same or not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't know where the lfe connection on the other side of the wall goes to particularly? What do you mean for the DT sub you're connecting amp to sub? What amp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For the in wall speakers, there are pre-wired terminals. So for the Klipsch sub I was connecting the avr sub pre-out to the lfe connection on the wall. For the Def Tech sub I am connecting amp to sub.

I know the Def Tech sub has the Auto-On feature, so i know it needs to get a certain level of signal to activate or turn on. Don't know if the Klipsch operates the same or not.
I'd think that those inwall subs had their own amp.

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
It is not powered. When I took it out of the wall last night, it just had speaker wires connected to the terminals. The home is new construction and who ever designed it paid for this upgraded speaker package. So I don't know if an amp was ever installed in the wall or not. If there is an amp it is enclosed in the wall and I have no way of knowing if it is on or off. I am trying to contact the builder to find out.

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
You don't know where the lfe connection on the other side of the wall goes to particularly? What do you mean for the DT sub you're connecting amp to sub? What amp?
I originally assumed it went directly to the in wall sub. But after taking the sub out, it is not powered, just connected with speaker wire. So I am assuming the lfe connection is going to an amp in the wall and the amp is connected to the sub.

Sorry, I meant the DT sub is connected to the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I originally assumed it went directly to the in wall sub. But after taking the sub out, it is not powered, just connected with speaker wire. So I am assuming the lfe connection is going to an amp in the wall and the amp is connected to the sub.

Sorry, I meant the DT sub is connected to the receiver.
So it sounds like you need to find that sub's amp :) I'll look at the sub but doubt the amp is that unique, but possibly Klipsch's matches up in some way.

As to the avr connected to your DT sub....what model Denon is it and you might describe particularly the connection (from pre-out on avr?) and settings both on sub and in avr....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked at the Klipsch literature on the sub and amp and don't see anything particularly special other than it may have particular eq for the subs but doubt you couldn't get around that with a sub amp with some dsp flexibility....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So it sounds like you need to find that sub's amp :) I'll look at the sub but doubt the amp is that unique, but possibly Klipsch's matches up in some way.

As to the avr connected to your DT sub....what model Denon is it and you might describe particularly the connection (from pre-out on avr?) and settings both on sub and in avr....
Agreed. Other than some sorta boost, which can easily replicated, any good stable pro amp can work.

Now I'm curious if the sub out on the avr somehow got shorted. Does the OP have a multi meter? Also check the pro sub with one of the other outputs and check to make sure all speakers are set to small.

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
I looked at the Klipsch literature on the sub and amp and don't see anything particularly special other than it may have particular eq for the subs but doubt you couldn't get around that with a sub amp with some dsp flexibility....
So I have tried two receivers, an older AVR-1712 and a new AVR-750. I am currently using the AVR-750. I am connecting from Pre-Out 1 on the receiver to the LFE input on the sub with an RCA cable (I have tried two different RCA cables to rule that out as an issue). On the amp, I have the gain at 12 o'clock and the crossover around 120 (I have tried it as low as ~80). I have all speakers set to small and the crossover at 80hz for all speakers and the LPF for LFE at 120 or 150.

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
Agreed. Other than some sorta boost, which can easily replicated, any good stable pro amp can work.

Now I'm curious if the sub out on the avr somehow got shorted. Does the OP have a multi meter? Also check the pro sub with one of the other outputs and check to make sure all speakers are set to small.
I do have a multimeter. Is it a simple test? I'll google it and check when I get home.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I have tried two receivers, an older AVR-1712 and a new AVR-750. I am currently using the AVR-750. I am connecting from Pre-Out 1 on the receiver to the LFE input on the sub with an RCA cable (I have tried two different RCA cables to rule that out as an issue). On the amp, I have the gain at 12 o'clock and the crossover around 120 (I have tried it as low as ~80). I have all speakers set to small and the crossover at 80hz for all speakers and the LPF for LFE at 120 or 150.
Are you running Audyssey or manual setup? What did you do with settings in the speaker menu?

ps as far as two sub pre-outs both not working, the chances don't seem that good....thinking its elsewhere in setup. Even to the point of running a reset of the avrs if needed....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I do have a multimeter. Is it a simple test? I'll google it and check when I get home.
Yes, very simple. Do check the speaker size setting. Some Yamaha avrs loose their settings after being unplugged, and if not set to small you won't hear anything from the powered sub.

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
Are you running Audyssey or manual setup? What did you do with settings in the speaker menu?

ps as far as two sub pre-outs both not working, the chances don't seem that good....thinking its elsewhere in setup. Even to the point of running a reset of the avrs if needed....
I have done both. I was originally doing manual, but last night I pulled out the mic and ran Audyssey.

For the speaker settings (I am working off memory):
All Speakers set to small, Sub On
Levels left a 0dB
LFE only
Speaker XO 80dB
LPF for LFE set to 120 or 150

Yeah with all the combinations of receivers, subs, wires I have tried, I figured there is something that I am missing or doing wrong.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have done both. I was originally doing manual, but last night I pulled out the mic and ran Audyssey.

For the speaker settings (I am working off memory):
All Speakers set to small, Sub On
Levels left a 0dB
LFE only
Speaker XO 80dB
LPF for LFE set to 120 or 150

Yeah with all the combinations of receivers, subs, wires I have tried, I figured there is something that I am missing or doing wrong.
You're sure the DefTec sub definitely works?

B

Bush1672

Enthusiast
It has been about a year since I last used it and it worked fine when I took it out of my system. So I figured it was working as I thought there is no way both subs (Klipsch and DT) would be broken or have issues. But now that I know what I do about the Klipsch and how it may or may not be set up. I am less confident in whether or not the DT actually works.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has been about a year since I last used it and it worked fine when I took it out of my system. So I figured it was working as I thought there is no way both subs (Klipsch and DT) would be broken or have issues. But now that I know what I do about the Klipsch and how it may or may not be set up. I am less confident in whether or not the DT actually works.
Can you hook up something direct to the DT sub to test? A disc player, phone, etc?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis