Audyssey multeq xt32 and miniDSP 2X4 HD

C

ciotime

Audioholic
A couple of questions with regards to Multeq xt32 and miniDSP 2X4 HD.

1) After running REW and doing EQ on the miniDSP 2X4HD I was able to get good results on my Bass Freq from about the 20Hz-80Hz region. Do I need to use the Multeq xt32 to do calibration again?

2) If I need to run Denon's calibration won't it somehow alter my Bass Response?

3) I've read mostly that it's advisable to limit MultEQ xt32 Filter Freq Range somewhere between 500Hz-700Hz

4) If I limit it to say 600Hz can one also choose the lower limit as well so that MultEQ xt32 doesn't affect the bass region? Like is there an option to set the EQ portion only from 80Hz-600Hz?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A couple of questions with regards to Multeq xt32 and miniDSP 2X4 HD.

1) After running REW and doing EQ on the miniDSP 2X4HD I was able to get good results on my Bass Freq from about the 20Hz-80Hz region. Do I need to use the Multeq xt32 to do calibration again?

2) If I need to run Denon's calibration won't it somehow alter my Bass Response?

3) I've read mostly that it's advisable to limit MultEQ xt32 Filter Freq Range somewhere between 500Hz-700Hz

4) If I limit it to say 600Hz can one also choose the lower limit as well so that MultEQ xt32 doesn't affect the bass region? Like is there an option to set the EQ portion only from 80Hz-600Hz?
Unfortunately you cannot do it. You can let Audyssey EQ up to 100 Hz and let the mini to do 100 to 600 Hz if you wish. In my experience, Audyssey alone can do a better job then the mini in the 20-120 Hz range, if you use the App with Ratbuddyssey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is your setup including a house curve or did you aim for flat response? Did you try running XT32 and see how well it worked or not? You can always not use it...

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Unfortunately you cannot do it. You can let Audyssey EQ up to 100 Hz and let the mini to do 100 to 600 Hz if you wish. In my experience, Audyssey alone can do a better job then the mini in the 20-120 Hz range, if you use the App with Ratbuddyssey.
First time I've heard about Ratbuddyssey...is there a tutorial of some kind I can check on the proper way to use it? Thanks.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Is this the one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is this the one?
Maybe start here https://www.avsforum.com/threads/announcing-ratbuddyssey-a-tool-for-tweaking-audyssey-multeq-app-files.3006886/

C

ciotime

Audioholic
A bit hesitant to rely on the MultEQ XT32 coz a friend of mine who does calibration doesn't like what it does on the lower FREQ. He say's Audyssey does good on the High Freq but messes with what he does on the miniDSP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A bit hesitant to rely on the MultEQ XT32 coz a friend of mine who does calibration doesn't like what it does on the lower FREQ. He say's Audyssey does good on the High Freq but messes with what he does on the miniDSP.
I’d say that’s exactly the opposite of many experiences here. That’s why many users limit audyssey to the 300-500hz range. FWIW some people like it to correct full range. I use audyssey and minidsp together. I’d try audyssey by itself just to see what it can do for you. Then try rew filters in the mini to see if you can improve it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The one HD linked is a little easier to read than the stereonet one you found. After you finish reading and started using it, you can take a look my worked example too if you are interested.

The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips) | Page 8 | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

Just an aside, I don't know why your friend don't like what Audyssey does to the low frequencies but he's not alone. Many people (just ask our resident dealer ADTG:D) prefer the uncorrected effects of their room even if it means much exaggerated bass in certain range(s), it is a subjective thing right? For example, some people like the old tube preamp/amp sound even if it means distortions could be as high a few %. Likewise, some are biased by knowing something has changed whether the effects are actually audible. Use tube gear as example again, McIntosh's recent tube amps have almost identical audio specs to their SS amps, but some people would still hear the tube amp sound that they prefer, but in sighted tests obviously.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep that's opposite the majority of complaints. I think one of its strengths is what it does on the lower end, and with the app you can even limit to the sub-schroeder frequencies too (I have two XT and one XT32 avrs that the app doesn't work with). Might depend on how he set it up, or his room/speakers, or a variety of things....

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I think it's coz he doesn't like the Audyssey calibration results and prefers to use the miniDSP in applying EQ. He still uses the multEQ XT32 app but then tweaks it via the miniDSP afterwards. BDW he's a good friend and student of YouTuber Home Theater Gurus so I guess he must know he's stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd do any custom curve after running Audyssey with miniDSP, too. Audyssey will just try and flatten it....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis