Audyssey MultEQ Editor App- What Am I Doing Wrong?!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG, @ryanosaur, you guys are who I've talked MultEQ with the most, I believe...

I'm really getting sick of fighting this thing. When I make a change in the curve editor I click "Done" then "Done" again to save the changes. I open it back up, changes are still there, I upload to my receiver and... nothing. No matter what changes I make it absolutely does not show up when I measure it.

Just to be sure, I did something completely ridiculous just to see if it would change anything.

Screenshot_2020-04-05-12-44-21-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2020-04-05-12-44-14-1024x640.png

Here's the before and after editor adjustment overlay. Earlier I tried making more subtle changes in a couple of different frequencies and kept getting the same thing. That's why I went completely intentionally overboard this last time to see if my adjustments were even making it through. Clearly they're not. I have to be doing something wrong.

App Editor Fail.jpg

It really pisses me off too because I believe in my soul of souls I can use it to make some real improvements with my towers. I scooted my MLP back 2 more feet (along with a slew of moving and measuring speakers and subs) and it actually helped quite a bit with that null I was having problems with! The above sweeps are with my crossover set at 80 hz and zero M-DSP (Audyssey setup only)!

That's as good a result as I've ever measured right after running Audyssey, with no Mini at all. Damn you, MultEQ Editor!!! Help!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I gave up on the editor and went back to my good ol' reliable Mini and got some really nice results with minimal tweaking. I didn't have to get nearly as aggressive with PEQ as I did when I was sitting closer.

04-05-20 Final.jpg
04-05-20 Waterfall.jpg
04-05-20 Spectrogram.jpg

The waterfall and spectrogram I don't know how to fully interpret. I can see things get pretty sloppy starting around 22 hz and get a lot worse going down from there. At such a low frequency I'm assuming that it's largely inaudible? Still, that's also about as good a waterfall as I've ever had too. All with a 80 hz crossover too, which I've been chasing for a long time! Happy camper!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I scooted my MLP back 2 more feet (along with a slew of moving and measuring speakers and subs) and it actually helped quite a bit with that null I was having problems with! The above sweeps are with my crossover set at 80 hz and zero M-DSP (Audyssey setup only)!
That's as good a result as I've ever measured right after running Audyssey, with no Mini at all. Damn you, MultEQ Editor!!! Help!
Glad you were able to get the null treated , moving the MLP and speakers/subs .., you were sitting right on the null , per the other thread.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So just for the record, for the group. Changes in the app are only applied to the “reference” curve.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Glad you were able to get the null treated , moving the MLP and speakers/subs .., you were sitting right on the null , per the other thread.
Yeah, null is still there, just not as bad. So I did realize some improvements and I swear they translate audibly. I was able to quiet things down as far as ringing or residual noise and dropped my crossover to 80 hz. That's something that was driving me nuts for a long time too, having to use a 120 hz crossover.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
@Pogre, any chance you could share your custom curve? I'd be interested in trying out how that works. Or are you just pulling the curve in the editor? I think I read somewhere that you can upload it somehow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre, any chance you could share your custom curve? I'd be interested in trying out how that works. Or are you just pulling the curve in the editor? I think I read somewhere that you can upload it somehow.
I have a little secret. My custom curve is simply turning on Dynamic EQ (Audyssey XT32), unplugging both ports on my Subs and switching them to eq2. Each house curve is a different reference level offset.

That's it. I dial in a nice, flat, even response with DEQ off and one port open, eq1 (deepest extension mode). Then I use my Subs' variable tuning and DEQ for my house curve.

04-05-20 House Curves.jpg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I want to add too, that Ed Mullen himself responded to every single query I posed to them. He was super patient, super helpful and very gracious and complementary when I showed him my final results. He could have easily dumped me off on someone a little lower down the ladder if he really wanted to. One of the many reasons I am so enamoured with SVS. Their customer service is almost unparalleled

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I want to add too, that Ed Mullen himself responded to every single query I posed to them. He was super patient, super helpful and very gracious and complementary when I showed him my final results. He could have easily dumped me off on someone a little lower down the ladder if he really wanted to. One of the many reasons I am so enamoured with SVS. Their customer service is almost unparalleled
Yes, pretty unique customer service. Both Ed and their president Gary Yacoubian , were personally guiding me on bass tuning for my HT, when I installed the SVS PC13-Ultra monster about 6 years back.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am doing a lot of "reading between the lines" here because I certainly don't know Ed Mullen in any capacity!
However, I seriously believe that he is the kind of guy who once he established that you were willing to experiment with him and actually get room measurements using REW, there is no way he is going to dump you off on someone else! I suspect his biggest frustrations are the customers who complain and are looking for him to show them the magic switch to fix their problem.
I think doctors and patients who overeat/eat poorly are a fair analogy. When a doctor finds a patient willing to actually do the work of managing their diet, they just found a favorite patient. The patients that complain, but ignore advice looking for some magic pill are what causes burn-out!
It is customers like you who make Ed Mullen's job fun/worthwhile!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am doing a lot of "reading between the lines" here because I certainly don't know Ed Mullen in any capacity!
However, I seriously believe that he is the kind of guy who once he established that you were willing to experiment with him and actually get room measurements using REW, there is no way he is going to dump you off on someone else! I suspect his biggest frustrations are the customers who complain and are looking for him to show them the magic switch to fix their problem.
I think doctors and patients who overeat/eat poorly are a fair analogy. When a doctor finds a patient willing to actually do the work of managing their diet, they just found a favorite patient. The patients that complain, but ignore advice looking for some magic pill are what causes burn-out!
Excellent point. People don't realize this as much as they should. When you're talking to someone that actually listens and cares about this stuff, it's fun to figure out problems and help them out.

When they complain that it isn't perfect and aren't willing to do any work, then I wouldn't be inclined to help near as much.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know, we go through that here too, now that I think about it. Then occasionally we'll get a guy like @mossman77, who embraced the method, rolled his sleeves up and got great results. Helping him out was a good experience for me. It is gratifying to see someone better off than when they first get here.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I have been messing around with this today:

That is working really well for me. 4 or 5 db boost at 20/50 Hz makes a huge difference. Of course I can't say what this would mean if you had a system with better bass than mine. That's the next project :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have been messing around with this today:

That is working really well for me. 4 or 5 db boost at 20/50 Hz makes a huge difference. Of course I can't say what this would mean if you had a system with better bass than mine. That's the next project :)
So he's turning DEQ off and using the editor to build his own curve. I'm sure that works well, but I wonder if it's actually any better than just turning it on and playing with the offset levels.

That chart of house curves I posted above looks pretty good... waitaminit... "Ratbuddyssey"?! What is this wizardry?? I'm still skimming that thread while typing this, lol. Ok, my interest is piqued. I'm gonna come back to this later when I have some time.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lmao.......
I was gonna bring up ratbuddysey. But I thought for your safety, I better not lol.

What happened with your reference curve and editor and stuff?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Don’t you remember?
You were messing with the editor...measuring results...no love...but maybe now?

You know! That stuff. As far as safety, I know you’ll wear your helmet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don’t you remember?
You were messing with the editor...measuring results...no love...but maybe now?

You know! That stuff. As far as safety, I know you’ll wear your helmet.
Oh! Duh.

I haven't had time yet. Since I scooted my MLP back, I have to pull my PC out of the stand and reroute all of the cabling so the cord for the mic will reach my seat! In other words, it's a pain in the ass. Plus I'm going to let my wife cool down for a little bit since I tied everything up for the day just this past Sunday.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis