Audyssey killing my HT sound?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a bit perplexed as to what is going on. I was beyond satisfied with my system but I had a non 4k Yamaha receiver so I bought a 4k Denon 3400 receiver. I never had Audyssey before and I had no idea what to expect but it's supposed to be a great system.
So to me the results aren't great, again that's to me. It's like the system is being handicapped and speakers are being cut off at the knees. It's like the entire system is being held back. Not nearly the impact as before. I just turned off Audyssey last night but need more time to evaluate.
Anyone else have an experience like this or am I completely bonkers?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm a bit perplexed as to what is going on. I was beyond satisfied with my system but I had a non 4k Yamaha receiver so I bought a 4k Denon 3400 receiver. I never had Audyssey before and I had no idea what to expect but it's supposed to be a great system.
So to me the results aren't great, again that's to me. It's like the system is being handicapped and speakers are being cut off at the knees. It's like the entire system is being held back. Not nearly the impact as before. I just turned off Audyssey last night but need more time to evaluate.

If your speakers are good and they are properly set up, Audyssey is nearly useless. It might be able to help a little bit in low frequencies by trimming peaks related to room modes. If you can't restrict Audyssey to just the bass range, I say leave it off. It can help a bad system, but it can hurt a good system a lot more than help it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If your speakers are good and they are properly set up, Audyssey is nearly useless. It might be able to help a little bit in low frequencies by trimming peaks related to room modes. If you can't restrict Audyssey to just the bass range, I say leave it off. It can help a bad system, but it can hurt a good system a lot more than help it.
Thanks, I guess I should have posted my full system. Denon 3400H processor, 5 channel Parasound amp, Def Tech SM 65 LCR and SM 55 surrounds.
Again thanks for the info.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I only had the AVR-X3400H for about two weeks but I did run a few tests using REW/Umik-1.
You can see from the graphs below that Audyssey flattened the freq response to some extents but with the bass bumps removed, it might sound less lively to a lot of people. Those were as found plots, i.e. without any manual fine adjustments to the settings or speaker placements.

To me, it is more a matter of smoother/more accurate/neutral bass below 300 Hz versus the "as found" bass response in your room. Depending on you speaker's in room response, the difference could be moderate to "huge" night and day kind of difference. Also, if you happen to prefer whatever boosts in the range you may be getting from your room, you will naturally not like the effects of Audssey.

If you use the Editor App, you can shape your target curve to your liking, for example, to regain some of the bass boosts by the room, while leveling others, but it could be a very time consuming project.

Red is with Audyssey "Off"

LS50AudOnVsOff.jpg

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Try limiting to below 500 to 750hz (or so) with the audyssey app and if you still dont like it, turn audyssey off. Many prefer it off and after extensive testing over time with two different audyssey versions i always end up with it disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Try limiting to below 500 to 750hz (or so) with the audyssey app and if you still dont like it, turn audyssey off. Many prefer it off and after extensive testing over time with two different audyssey versions i always end up with it disabled.

Thanks, yeah I have it off and I'm gonna do some serious critical listening over this week. I'm gonna crank it up and you many, many different types of material.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

Not bonkers!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So to me the results aren't great, again that's to me. It's like the system is being handicapped and speakers are being cut off at the knees. It's like the entire system is being held back. Not nearly the impact as before.
I'm sure you realize that some people hate Room EQ and some people love it.

The key is to try it. Then see for yourself if you prefer it or not.

I also think that if you don't like Audyssey XT32, then chances are you won't like any of the other Room EQ either. The reason I say that is because I have heard most of the Room EQ's available. And I didn't prefer any one of them, not just Audyssey XT32.

So don't feel so bad. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sure you realize that some people hate Room EQ and some people love it.

The key is to try it. Then see for yourself if you prefer it or not.

I also think that if you don't like Audyssey XT32, then chances are you won't like any of the other Room EQ either. The reason I say that is because I have heard most of the Room EQ's available. And I didn't prefer any one of them, not just Audyssey XT32.

So don't feel so bad. :D
I always liked what YPAO did on my Yamaha but I think that does a fraction of what Audyssey does. Anyway I have to some serious listening this week and weekend to really see if the life returns, the livelyness comes out again because I love my speakers and it just seems like they were being held back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I always liked what YPAO did on my Yamaha but I think that does a fraction of what Audyssey does. I love my speakers and it just seems like they were being held back.
As @Phase 2 will tell you, if you like it, you like it. No big deal. Go with whatever sounds best to your ears. :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Pisst, @TLS Guy, hates AC, lots do. Some like it a lot, me? I use a tape measure and a SPL meter when I had to dial in my two Subs. I can understand why the manufacturers use AC. It add to the cost of the units.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
My Yamaha AVR has a virtual speaker surround setup. I'm still looking for them invisible speakers. :p

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Its easy to run the auto setup then turn off audyssey if prefered. Tape measure isnt very accurate with sub distances anymore with the internal delay thats common in newer subs.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Its easy to run the auto setup then turn off audyssey if prefered. Tape measure isnt very accurate with sub distances anymore with the internal delay thats common in newer subs.

Yup, I have it off now. Now I'm going home to do some listening. Good listen up a bunch of different things, 5.1 music, movies and demos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, I have it off now. Now I'm going home to do some listening. Good listen up a bunch of different things, 5.1 music, movies and demos.

Make sure your subwoofer levels are good. We don't want flat anemic bass. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pisst, @TLS Guy, hates AC, lots do. Some like it a lot, me? I use a tape measure and a SPL meter when I had to dial in my two Subs. I can understand why the manufacturers use AC. It add to the cost of the units.
They're coming for you bro. Did you run and hide? :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well here is the deal, I believe my HT has returned to its formal glory. I turned off Audyssey XT32 and its just the pure sound with no stupid roll offs or knee capping. I listened to a bunch of 5.1 music and had a giant smile on my face. In the end I guess I like the simplistic, less complicated way YPAO does "room correction" and really all I want is auto set of speaker levels, distances/delays.
My system today had me smiling ear to ear. I was playing some 5.1 music pretty loud. I know Def Tech takes a lot of heat for various reasons but man do I love my Def Tech speakers. They really sound great when not being held back. I need to do some more critical listening this time movies and some Dolby demo discs I have but I think turning off Audyssey fixed everything. I just want my speakers, my system to run full range and not be cut off of any frequencies and I have that now. Very happy right now.
Thank you MUCH for the help, the info, and discussion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis