Audyssey dynamic e/q help or suggestions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks @lovinthehd . I will be running Audyssey setup again this weekend. I have the app so I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions especially on how to only eq under 200hz. From what I’ve been reading this is about the average for the rooms Schroeder frequency. I’m not sure how to set up the app to do this.
Can't help you as I don't have units that can use the app....maybe @Pogre can guide you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't help you as I don't have units that can use the app....maybe @Pogre can guide you.
It's really simple actually. There's a slider you use to adjust to whatever frequency and down you want.

*Edit: Just open the app, choose your file, touch "MultEQ Filter Frequency Range" and adjust the slider.

Screenshot_2020-02-06-14-10-31_copy_1024x640.png
Screenshot_2020-02-06-14-10-36_copy_1024x640.png
Screenshot_2020-02-06-14-10-54_copy_1024x640.png

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
@Pogre Thanks for the tips. Do I use the slider before or after I run the measurements. Very noobie question but I’m trying to learn how to do it properly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre Thanks for the tips. Do I use the slider before or after I run the measurements. Very noobie question but I’m trying to learn how to do it properly.
You can do it after.

You'll run Audyssey setup as normal, using whatever device you download the app on as a controller. After you finish with the mic it calculates everything and creates a file on your device that you open up, go in and start playing. When you're done save your changes (I think just by clicking "Done") and upload the file to your AVR.

I make a duplicate copy to tweak and play with so I still have an untouched "original" if for some reason I screw it all up. Which is hard to do really. There's an "undo" feature too, which is nice. It's saved me some frustration. Oh, also, none of the data from the measurements you just took is saved in the AVR until you upload it from the device. Even the untouched "original".

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
Hello. I have the Denon avr- x3600 and still learning the ins and outs of different Audyssey settings. Several people have suggested and use the dynamic eq setting. When I turn it on my subs start to “talk” ie male voices and the lower registers of some female voices come from my subs. Am I missing another setting somewhere to go along with dynamic eq ? Several people swear by dynamic eq but I don’t think they would if it made their subs “talk”. Any advice would be appreciated.
It has more to do with room acoustics, not Audyssey. Btw if you are hearing voices coming from your subs maybe you have the crossover set too high. Most of us I think like 80hz for a crossover but much higher and the frequency is high enough to be localized.
i use an X2600H with the lesser MultiEQ-XT and use DEQ with a 100Hz crossover to the LFE and have not heard any localization or dialog coming from the sub.

however, i do tweak levels after the calibration and increase the fronts by up to +4dB and the sub by up to +2dB. That is for movies, and the 'reference' curve is selected.

for music, i increase the fronts another +6dB and use 'flat'

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the patience and tips @Pogre. Gonna start experimenting tomorrow night when it’s quieter in the room. I’m sure I have more questions but should be fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the patience and tips @Pogre. Gonna start experimenting tomorrow night when it’s quieter in the room. I’m sure I have more questions but should be fun.
Sure. Don't be intimidated, it's pretty easy to navigate once you roll your sleeves up and get into it. I did at first have some issues with the app finding my AVR but the usual "restart everything" seemed to sort it out pretty painlessly. Took a couple of attempts tho.

Couple of basics, but I believe are important is to get your noise floor as low as possible, mic at ear height and make sure you carefully follow the pattern on the screen. I always take all 8 measurements, the more data the better and more resolute the results can be. They recommend no more than 2' between mic positions. I go with 19 or 20" which tightens up the "bubble" you create around you a bit *I think*. Yup. It's all about me... :p

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Sure. Don't be intimidated, it's pretty easy to navigate once you roll your sleeves up and get into it. I did at first have some issues with the app finding my AVR but the usual "restart everything" seemed to sort it out pretty painlessly. Took a couple of attempts tho.

Couple of basics, but I believe are important is to get your noise floor as low as possible, mic at ear height and make sure you carefully follow the pattern on the screen. I always take all 8 measurements, the more data the better and more resolute the results can be. They recommend no more than 2' between mic positions. I go with 19 or 20" which tightens up the "bubble" you create around you a bit *I think*. Yup. It's all about me... :p
Lol. It’s all about me also. 99% of the time it’s just me.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

I just ran the app on my Denon and I think it flattened out the house curve for my subs that I had put in using the miniDSP 2x4. Do I then go back to REW, clear the filters and start over there? Or leave the filter and see if more filters need to be put in? I'm new to REW and new to the audyssey app

Seems like you can get Audyssey and miniDSP filters fighting with each other :)

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nonsense. The whole concept is unsound and totally bogus. You can not improve a system with a cheap and very nasty plastic microphone placed at distant locations.
It's not nonsense. Your criticism is misplaced; DEQ is not room correction (about which I agree w/ you). It IS loudness compensatio eq, and it works, farly well IME.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just ran the app on my Denon and I think it flattened out the house curve for my subs that I had put in using the miniDSP 2x4. Do I then go back to REW, clear the filters and start over there? Or leave the filter and see if more filters need to be put in? I'm new to REW and new to the audyssey app

Seems like you can get Audyssey and miniDSP filters fighting with each other :)
Did you create the house curve after you ran Audyssey?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
No before in REW. So that might have been neutralized by Auddessey. But I’ll have to go back to REW and maybe do it again?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Ok seems like this becomes a circular process then with filters built upon filters. But I guess I just now go in and work in REW with the miniDSP? Delete the previous filter and build up from there perhaps?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis