Audyssey and it's settings. Lots of questions

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
I have A Denon avr x3000 (2013 year). Just recently bought bought a Klipsch sub--r121sw (12 inch woofer, 400 way Amp).

I ran Audyssey and set the controls on the back of the sub per Audessey instructions. The avr readout showed a -12. After numerous tries, I have gotten it to read a -9. (just turning the dial (gain) on the sub more than a millimeter or so really caused some huge differences in the readings).

Anyway, I don't understand what all the verbiage means or does. So, a couple of questions.

What does the "gain" on the back of the sub woofer actually do? Does it make it sound louder if you turn the knob clockwise? If you turn it counter clockwise, it gives it negative numbers. Do the negative numbers lower the hertz or what? I am just trying to understand what the difference between a -12 vs a +12 is?

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
To continue my questions. Audessey set the sub reading at - 9. That took me several tries and close to an hour playing with it to get it at that setting. I "think" that is supposed to be a good setting range? What's the difference between using the Audyssey -9 setting vs going into the AVR-X3000 and changing the setting to a -9 from another setting such as from a -12 or a +6?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The gain on the sub is to to adjust to what the input level from the pre-out is, and the suggestion to start at 50% is just a guess, many of my consumer subs I set the gain much lower on the sub amp than 50%. -9 is a fine setting. -12 was indicating simply you had the gain on the sub higher than needed. Some dials are very sensitive, and one reason it is suggested to adjust levels post audyssey as just trim level in the avr (and -9 gives you room to do that).

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
K, thx for your answer. Does that -9 make the sub rumble(?) louder (without turning the actual volume knobs on the avr up?) or lower than say a +9? If I wanted more bass (rumble?), which of the two would I try to set the setting to, -9 or +9? I would think a plus 9, but, I guess I might be misunderstanding the whole thing. I have tried googling this several different times, ways, but don't get an answer that I understand.
I think I downloaded the picture showing my settings after running audessey.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
K, thx for your answer. Does that -9 make the sub rumble(?) louder (without turning the actual volume knobs on the avr up?) or lower than say a +9? If I wanted more bass (rumble?), which of the two would I try to set the setting to, -9 or +9? I would think a plus 9, but, I guess I might be misunderstanding the whole thing. I have tried googling this several different times, ways, but don't get an answer that I understand.
I think I downloaded the picture showing my settings after running audessey.
Hopefully your sub is doing more than just rumbling, but per ShadyJ's review here it should be relatively capable. -9 is the initial level setting for flat bass. You can raise the sub trim level, and many do after Audyssey is run, but a swing of 18dB would be excessive. Maybe try 3dB (change to -6) to start. If you had a newer model you could use the Audyssey editor app for more options/control....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'd move your center speaker up under the TV and re-run Audyssey. It should sound better.

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
Well, -Jim-, I'm sure your right. If I get the chance, I will see if I can do it tomorrow. It's been like this for quite sometime, not sure how long the speaker wires are from the receiver. (the wiring is a mess in the back, very difficult to get to.) :rolleyes:.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Well, - Jim-, I got it done. I think it does help.
Glad to be of help. My next suggestion would be to spread out your L&R speakers if at all possible, and re-run Audyssey. It should sound even better.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Glad to be of help. My next suggestion would be to spread out your L&R speakers if at all possible, and re-run Audyssey. It should sound even better.
From looking at the photo, I don't think that would be possible. The left speaker appears to be right in the room's corner (as is the left edge of the TV). And even if there was no wall there, moving the right speaker more to the right would then be in front of the window.

If anything, I would see if you could move the TV a bit to the right to at least center it between the main speakers and also move the center to be centered as well. Can't imagine that doing much for the sound, but would look at least visually balanced.

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
Thx, both of you for your suggestions. BUT (a big but :rolleyes:), the room is pretty much set up in stone as it is. I will include a photo of the actual room in a bit. It is a compromise between equipment and room furniture positioning, etc. I got my big:)cool:) speakers. The wife has the final say so on where everything goes and how it looks in the room. :(.

She wants little hide away type speakers (think Bose). When I put the 5.1 together back then, Bose had a bad rap among "us audiophiles" (which I certainly am not). I wanted nothing to do with them.
Please excuse the mess in the room (new pillows, etc). As you can see, it's not a room made for video or audio entertainment, but it will have to do. No moving the speakers, no moving the tv, sub woofer or anything else. I was surprised she let me move the center speaker to up under the tv.

I'm actually standing in a large opening that leads into the dining room when I snapped the picture.

Attachments

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thx, both of you for your suggestions. BUT (a big but :rolleyes:), the room is pretty much set up in stone as it is. I will include a photo of the actual room in a bit. It is a compromise between equipment and room furniture positioning, etc. I got my big:)cool:) speakers. The wife has the final say so on where everything goes and how it looks in the room. :(.

She wants little hide away type speakers (think Bose). When I put the 5.1 together back then, Bose had a bad rap among "us audiophiles" (which I certainly am not). I wanted nothing to do with them.
Please excuse the mess in the room (new pillows, etc). As you can see, it's not a room made for video or audio entertainment, but it will have to do. No moving the speakers, no moving the tv, sub woofer or anything else. I was surprised she let me move the center speaker to up under the tv.

I'm actually standing in a large opening that leads into the dining room when I snapped the picture.
Yes, I get it. The WAF rules. Maybe some day she'll get the bug and have you re-arrange the room. Until then, enjoy what you have. ;)

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Yea, the overall room is not very theatre-setup-friendly. You could try to sell the idea of installing a screen that could be lowered in front of the sliding doors. Main speakers would flank those sliding doors and then mount surrounds flanking the window behind the sectional. Of course the center channel would not work out. Don't think this idea would fly though anyhow :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW I don’t think any one family member should dictate how ones home is. If two people contribute, two should have say. Just MHO.
It’s also a huge disservice to those great speakers having them all bunched together, but it seems that you’re stuck.

G

gimpy

Audioholic Intern
Her comment was, "you can move them to the garage and set them up however you want". o_O.
That's what 47 years of marriage to her gets me:D.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Her comment was, "you can move them to the garage and set them up however you want". o_O.
Actually a man cave in the garage isn't a bad idea at all. 47 years is a very long time, tho, congrats on lasting so long.....but I'm happily single my adult life, and any gal would have to put up with my audio habits (and enjoy them), so what do I know? :)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have the basement and she has the living room for TV. It will be 60/yrs come Oct. lol Wife does not want anything to do with the sound stage. TV speaker is just fine with her and have tried to give her an upgrade. I have extra bookshelf speakers and an extra Denon AVR. She has her domain and I have mine. lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yikes! I guess my wife would be getting lonely!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis