Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So... music and movies were sounding great. Like a true rookie Audioholic, I decide to recalibrate since I got the JBL speakers.

Auddessey calibrated the speakers as large and set the crossover at 40.
I set them to small and crossed at 60. The center and surrounds are set at 80.

The gain on the subs was turned down to about 11 o’clock to reach the 75db level. I bumped that up to 1 o’clock after calibration. The calibration level of the subs was -9.5. I did not adjust that.

Auddessey graphs of the calibration results are available. If I post them can someone explain how to interpret them and what improvements are indicated.

On the Denon remote if I cycle through Direct and Pure Direct Modes I have an idea of what’s happening, but in Auto mode the manual only says the receiver provides the best playback based on input.

Is there a way to make any one of these modes a default, To avoid Cycling through whenever I go from tv, to music, To dvd?

Thank. EA8F5BE4-0597-4CD1-89D7-E01DCFBF95FD.jpeg3BE0B440-924E-4BC2-A1CB-A9EB7E5B87B4.jpeg5EF929DD-9DD2-4E9E-AC3D-62D38B18B16E.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey doesn't set the speakers to large (i.e. to not use bass management), that's your Denon doing that (Audyssey's position is that when a sub is used bass management should be employed, and generally suggests a starting xover of 80hz ), the 40hz crossover suggestion indicates the lowest it will provide eq for (you can always raise the crossover, but Audyssey wouldn't suggest lowering as it would leave a gap in eq). I've crossed my 590s in the range of 100-120 but depends on whether you get sub localization or not (I don't). I prefer to set the gain on the sub higher in initial setup to get the avr to set the avr's sub trim lower....I usually aim for about -10dB, then just raise that up to taste. Once I run calibration I don't change the gain on the subs' amps.

What are you determining with pure direct/direct (all pure direct itself does is turn off the avr panel light fwiw)? Generally Denons will use the last sound mode set for the particular type of input signal it was last set for.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks Lovin! The subs calibrated at -9.5, I turned them up to -6.5.

The manual for the Denon provides information on what happens in Direct and Pure Direct modes, ( turns some functionality off to deliver cleaner quieter sound.)

But the Auto mode claims to deliver the best sound based on input and content.

I am trying to set the auto as a default, instead of cycling through the modes to get there Each time.

And of course you know it doesn’t sound as good as it did before I calibrated it. I think I wanted to give myself something to do over the next few days!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Lovin! The subs calibrated at -9.5, I turned them up to -6.5.

The manual for the Denon provides information on what happens in Direct and Pure Direct modes, ( turns some functionality off to deliver cleaner quieter sound.)

But the Auto mode claims to deliver the best sound based on input and content.

I am trying to set the auto as a default, instead of cycling through the modes to get there Each time.

And of course you know it doesn’t sound as good as it did before I calibrated it. I think I wanted to give myself something to do over the next few days!
So what did you discover/determine using direct modes? Are you using it to determine the difference when using Audyssey instead?

In mine the auto mode is to play the content as delivered e.g. if you are using a soundtrack with a Dolby Digital soundtrack it will initially play it in that mode. If you then use a Dolby upmixer on that DD soundtrack (say to expand it to 7.1) , the avr will remember that the next time on that input you play another DD soundtrack as your preference. At least that how it works on a few of my avrs. In my Onkyo I have a specific way of telling it in advance how I want it to treat various codecs, too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So... music and movies were sounding great. Like a true rookie Audioholic, I decide to recalibrate since I got the JBL speakers.

Auddessey calibrated the speakers as large and set the crossover at 40.
I set them to small and crossed at 60. The center and surrounds are set at 80.

The gain on the subs was turned down to about 11 o’clock to reach the 75db level. I bumped that up to 1 o’clock after calibration. The calibration level of the subs was -9.5. I did not adjust that.

Auddessey graphs of the calibration results are available. If I post them can someone explain how to interpret them and what improvements are indicated.

On the Denon remote if I cycle through Direct and Pure Direct Modes I have an idea of what’s happening, but in Auto mode the manual only says the receiver provides the best playback based on input.

Is there a way to make any one of these modes a default, To avoid Cycling through whenever I go from tv, to music, To dvd?

Thank. View attachment 36071View attachment 36072View attachment 36073
Happy for you! The $20 editor app is highly recommended. I am so impressed with it (based on the low price) it that I started an users thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Forgot to ask, you mean you were playing the JBL speakers with a calibration for different speakers first?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Forgot to ask, you mean you were playing the JBL speakers with a calibration for different speakers first?
Kinda.... I looked through some old posts and threads and I could not find evidence that I did.

The results are outrageously good. I futzed around with settings and modes most of the day.
I settled in and watched Bloodshot in UHD last night, the sound was epic.
Music whoa! The imaging I was so impressed with became more focused, seamless bass from the SVS’s, I play at much higher volumes with cleaner crisper response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kinda.... I looked through some old posts and threads and I could not find evidence that I did.

The results are outrageously good. I futzed around with settings and modes most of the day.
I settled in and watched Bloodshot in UHD last night, the sound was epic.
Music whoa! The imaging I was so impressed with became more focused, seamless bass from the SVS’s, I play at much higher volumes with cleaner crisper response.
You look at old posts to see what you did or didn't do? Thought my memory was getting bad...

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I noticed that after running Auddessey the subwoofers do not engage until I turn the volume up to the point that I would normally watch a movie. At lower/normal listening levels the subs do not engage
how can I get the subs to kick in at lower volumes?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis