A

azaky

Enthusiast
I am very new to this forum and am totally loving the knowledge that you all are sharing and giving, I really appreciate all the help I get from you guys. On another note (literally) I have been auditioning new fronts for my system and having been going back and forth on the audition music that I feel is a great test for the set I eventually will pick up. Gaucho by Steely Dan is my mark, if you will. I know Jaxvon might agree, but wanted to know what you guys were using as your benchmark(s). Thanks for the info!

Current System:

NAD T762 A/V Receiver
NAD T514 CD/DVD
Paradigm 5seMKII's OR Polk RT400s-FRONTS
Paradigm Mini Monitors-REAR
Paradigm ADP Cinemas- Surrounds
Velodyne Sub
Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with Gaucho (of course), but be aware that it is a BRIGHT recording. Be aware of this before you crank up some Klipsch speakers blasting this album. The same goes for Royal Scam.

If you're a fan of Stevie Wonder, I would recommend you put on Songs in the Key of Life and/or Innervisions. The fidelity on these albums is superb.

Also, if you have anything on the GRP label that you like, take it as well. GRP has excellent quality on their recordings.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
it really depends on your musical taste, what do you listen to, what do you like? Pick something that you know what it should sound like. When I went to audition some speakers I brought Linkin Park, Kid Rock, 3 doors down, Staind, AC/DC, and Dave Mathews. Music I knew well, when I first went out to listen I never brought any cds and the sales guys would put in these acoustic cd's with jazz and classical music, it just wasn't me and nothing really sounded that great, and I hated the sound of klipsch when I first heard the reference series. Went back to all these places with MY music and found that I prefer the sound of a horn, so something like a Klipsch speaker is what I'd enjoy.

A

azaky

Enthusiast
Ah yes, totally understood. I have the reissue of Innervisions, so maybe I will drag that along with me as well. One of the reasons I love pumping up Gaucho is actually how bright it is, I mean I love how crisp and clean things are on that album.

Thanks for the info Jaxvon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis