Audirvana Owners Thread

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I thought I would start this thread for those using Audirvana or wanting to learn more about it. Audirvana is music streaming software that can be used as an interface for Tidal, Qobuz or your local music library. It can search thru all music in any of these locations and stream it to your receiver via Bluetooth, Airplay or UPnP network streaming. Obviously, the benefit of using UPnP with the receiver is the music will remain in it's native format.

A 30 day free trial is available:

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Today while using Audirvana to play Brahms: Cello Sonatas by Marie Elisebeth Hecker off of Qobuz my internet went out.

All of my browsers failed to work as the internet was down. Yet, the Cello Sonata #1 in E minor parts 1, 2 and 3 continued to play using Audirvana. The outage was for a full 6 minutes and Audirvana continued to play the Qobuz based music as if no outage existed.

If I wasn't looking at my modem and seeing it try to start over and over while the music played I would not have known the connection was down. Audirvana must cache several songs to my drive for this to work.

Even when the modem re-established the internet connection 6 minutes later there was not even a hiccup with the Sonata playing from Qobuz. I think that's pretty amazing. Try to do that with another streamer. :cool:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! I think I asked you the same question elsewhere, but can you use an iPhone as a remote control of Audirvana on a Mac so that you can make selections from the iPhone and not from the Mac. I don't mean Airplay but just a remote function. Or, can you use the Marantz, not HEOS, remote control app and select tracks from the MEDIA SERVER input?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Nice! I think I asked you the same question elsewhere, but can you use an iPhone as a remote control of Audirvana on a Mac so that you can make selections from the iPhone and not from the Mac. I don't mean Airplay but just a remote function. Or, can you use the Marantz, not HEOS, remote control app and select tracks from the MEDIA SERVER input?
Audirvana comes with the application that works on Mac or PC. This software streams the music and sets up the UPnP connection and allows you to setup favorites and playlists.

Audirvana also offers an iPhone/iPad remote app that allows you to control the computer. If the remote app does not detect the computer running Audirvana software it will not work. But if the computer is running Audirvana then the mobile device will connect and control Audirvana on the computer which selects which song is playing and offers volume control. It has other features such as search capability too.

HEOS can also be used to stream music from your phone. But, in that configuration music is compressed. The only time that HEOS plays in the original hi-res audiophile format is if it's used to play music on a USB drive that is plugged into the receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so trying it out for 30 days. Spent the weekend fighting with it and a Mac mini. I think I got em’ both on the ropes.:p The iPhone works well but could use some teaks for better layout and a nicer home screen. Settings on the Mac are numerous and I had some difficulties there. Music sounding great over UPnP. Connected Tidal to it. Going to try Qobuz next:).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Enjoying Qobuz. The Audirvana app needs work but I like searching within the app for everything. No need to go to Tidal or Qobuz apps. Have had some hiccups but when all works as it should I can grab my phone and go into the app and pick some music to play and it will turn on the receiver and switch to the media server and I can pick from my local library, Tidal or Qobuz. No unfolding MQA crap with Qobuz. 192khz/24bit material comes over as such.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so no love for Audirvana around here it seems. Roon people.:rolleyes: Anyway, tried Audirvana 3.5 and then let it go. It worked well enough but I had issues I didn't quite understand at the time. Audirvana has now ditched it's old look and come up with Audirvana Studio. As well as the look, they have ditched the old purchase model and are now a $5.99 per month service. The newly revamped control app showed up on Monday so I decided to give Audirvana another try. Because it is a new version, I was still able to get a 30 day trial to check it out. I'd already used up a free trial of Qobuz and went ahead and paid for a month of it at $14.99 which isn't terrible as every other service I am currently using is free right now. I might get Tidal again at 3 bucks for 3 months through Bestbuy just for more comparisons.

Of course, results will very depending on one's hardware but I did have some issues as the look and feel have changed and it took a bit of time to get familiar with it all. The biggest issue of all was audio output and I'm calling out Apple on this one which seems to happen often this days. Audirvana will detail the abilities of the connected device's DAC. So, I can see what is supported from the HDMI connection, the 3.5mm headphone jack and UPnP via ethernet using a Mac mini M1. Unfortunately, Apple no longer includes an optical output port on the mini. I have mine connected to my Onkyo receiver using both HDMI and a 3.5mm to RCA analog cable connected from the headphone jack of the mini just to see what would be sent out without a little external DAC in the chain.

Anyway, started a free trial of Deezer lossless since my Onkyo has a built in app for it. I prefer using any built-in app and I like the choice of using a control app or the actual remote control for the receiver. Qobuz tracks through Audirvana smoked the Deezer tracks. It didn't matter if the numbers came up 16/44.1 or 24/192 on Qobuz and I'm sure some of you aren't surprised.;) There really was an audible difference to the sound between the services. Deezer didn't sound bad at all and it was only after playing a selected track using Deezer and then using Qobuz via Audirvana that I noticed an improvement to the sound.

The biggest issue when using Audirvana with a Mac mini connected to an AVR is the audio output via HDMI. Apple famously likes converting everything to 24/48 and I'm inclined to agree now that Airplay 2 is doing so as well. This was a headache when trying to figure out why 16/44.1 tracks played back too quickly and 24/192 tracks came over at a snail's pace. Remember taking your finger as a kid and speeding up or slowing down a record on the turntable for laughs? When outputting audio over HDMI, one MUST set upsampling within Audirvana from "Deactivated" to "Device maximum frequency." This results in the Mac mini sending everything out in 24/48 and everything plays at the proper speed. It sounds good once adjusted.

The real winner here is using UPnP via ethernet or wireless ax. It just sounds great. The real losers are the software and control apps themselves. They are a bit buggy and slow and just a pain in the ass at times. I'll forgive them and be patient because the music just sounds so damn good. Analog was capped at 24/96 by the mini and of course HDMI was at 24/48. Everything I tried was available via UPnP without being converted. There's much more to it and I'm hardly an expert but like many just want to play music without too much fuss and have it sound great. Installing and setting up Audirvana Studio can be a fuss and it needs some tweaks but it is another option for those who want to bundle streaming services, internet radio and ripped libraries and have access to them via a control app. Some might say it is worth a monthly cost of $5.99 while others would disagree. Again, results will vary with different pieces of hardware. I'll play with it for the month and see how I feel about it at the end. Say, anybody know what happened to @VMPS-TIII? It's his thread, after all.:confused:

O

ouchmythumbs

Audiophyte
Ok, so no love for Audirvana around here it seems.
So, I started using the Audirvana 3.5 trial right before they went subscription based. My use-case was to use it for the DLNA/uPNP capabilities to stream hi-res FLAC's to HEOS from a filesystem on my network. I was about to buy the lifetime license when they had the announcement of "something big is coming!", so I decided to wait. Glad I did, because their release of Grand Premier Studio (or, whatever they call the new sub-based model) was a complete sh!tshow. While I was entertaining myself reading through their support forum after the release, I recalled that Plex has a built in DLNA server; so, I enabled that on my Plex server, tested with HEOS, and confirmed I was getting the hi-res resolutions I was using Audirvana 3.5 to achieve. For my use-case, this was good enough, but doesn't solve a lot of the other problems Audirvana addresses (streaming, DSD, etc.). If I ever decided I needed additional functionality, I would probably go the Roon route. The way Audirvana handled (is handling) this rollout was embarrassing. I get they are just a small company trying to make it, and I'm all for the underdog, but the whole debacle just screams incompetence, and I honestly believe this is the beginning of the end for these guys. There are quite a lot of 3.5 users who just purchased that are not too happy they won't be supported any longer. I know Audirvana said they will continue to support 3.5, but it honestly seems like they have 1 dev doing all the work over there, even replying to support issues, so I can just imagine what his backlog is like. Bugs in 3.5 go unfixed while they try to fix all the bugs in the new version. Like editing your audio files after they said they were not. This is really just a group of guys that tried to monetize a hobby, it seems. I don't know how they can justify a subscription model when they are not delivering any content. While their business model might make sense to them, it doesn't make any sense to an informed-consumer; only those willing to blindly move to sub-based pricing because "everyone else is doing it" [companies] will likely be okay with this by not evaluating the value received - it is probably the wrong demographic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis