AudioQuest Wind RCA Review - ASR

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That guy in the video sure sounds familiar. If it's who I am thinking of, he's lying to you. He loves danglers!:p I can hear his wife now, "All that f#%kin' fuss over cable management and your sock drawer is still a f#%kin' mess!
"Well, it wouldn't be if YOU would sort them!".

(In Morgan Freeman's voice) "And that's when she hit him with the hot iron".

highfigh

highfigh

I worked with someone who, well, didn't work all that much but he had a friend in the company, so....

He would talk about the sound of his system, how it had been modded and tweaked to be really excellent. I asked what he listened to and it was all New Age crap that's not only boring, it's mind-numbingly boring. I mean, it's his system and he can listen to whatever he wants, but there's so much more out there! I would rather watch old videos of Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharp and others on YouTube than some of the incredibly well recorded stuff that's used to show off audio equipment.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I worked with someone who, well, didn't work all that much but he had a friend in the company, so....

He would talk about the sound of his system, how it had been modded and tweaked to be really excellent. I asked what he listened to and it was all New Age crap that's not only boring, it's mind-numbingly boring. I mean, it's his system and he can listen to whatever he wants, but there's so much more out there! I would rather watch old videos of Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharp and others on YouTube than some of the incredibly well recorded stuff that's used to show off audio equipment.
That's so funny. I new a guy who had put together a nice system years ago, Lexicon processor, Hafler THX amps everywhere, Mirage towers all around, three subs and so forth. He was always going on about how good John Tesh's crap, um, music sounded on his system. He also played Lindsey Buckinghams' "Out of the Cradle" album to death, but I'll give him that one.

highfigh

highfigh

That's so funny. I new a guy who had put together a nice system years ago, Lexicon processor, Hafler THX amps everywhere, Mirage towers all around, three subs and so forth. He was always going on about how good John Tesh's crap, um, music sounded on his system. He also played Lindsey Buckinghams' "Out of the Cradle" album to death, but I'll give him that one.
I came to find New Age as boring, but I have to appreciate the quest for sound quality- Windham Hill, Mannheim Steamroller, Mobile Fidelity and Telarc weren't necessarily 'New Age', but they did put out some good recordings.

The owner of the stereo shop where I worked went to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas and bought a Mannheim Steamroller recording and took a few days off after returning. He played it many times and it was impressive- deep bass, sonorous melodies, very clean. One day, I looked at the label and noticed that it had '45 RPM on it. He was playing it at 33-1/3 RPM, assuming it was an LP just because it was 12" diameter. Makes me wonder if they had played it at the same speed in the demo rooms.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I came to find New Age as boring, but I have to appreciate the quest for sound quality- Windham Hill, Mannheim Steamroller, Mobile Fidelity and Telarc weren't necessarily 'New Age', but they did put out some good recordings.

The owner of the stereo shop where I worked went to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas and bought a Mannheim Steamroller recording and took a few days off after returning. He played it many times and it was impressive- deep bass, sonorous melodies, very clean. One day, I looked at the label and noticed that it had '45 RPM on it. He was playing it at 33-1/3 RPM, assuming it was an LP just because it was 12" diameter. Makes me wonder if they had played it at the same speed in the demo rooms.
How on earth did it not sound strange as hell?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Because it was Mannheim Steamroller?
I honestly thought I'd never heard of them (it?). Well, I have and yeah, I get it. It already sounds odd so it playing slower wouldn't really take much away.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I honestly thought I'd never heard of them (it?). Well, I have and yeah, I get it. It already sounds odd so it playing slower wouldn't really take much away.
I happened to acquire a copy of the Mason Williams with Mannheim Steamroller album.....just doesn't do Mason justice IMO. Mannheim Steamroller maybe was more the Trans Siberia Orchestra of its day? Dunno, neither really appeals :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
But playing at 78 rpm might ! Well, you would loose most of the interesting bass. :D

highfigh

highfigh

How on earth did it not sound strange as hell?
Ever watch Twin Peaks? The music on that show was similar- slow, deliberate....

The Mannheim Steamroller record was actually good for selling speakers but we always wanted people to bring something they were familiar with.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ever watch Twin Peaks? The music on that show was similar- slow, deliberate....

The Mannheim Steamroller record was actually good for selling speakers but we always wanted people to bring something they were familiar with.
I do need to watch Twin Peaks. They added a few new seasons to it and as a whole it's supposed to be very good. Weird, but good.

highfigh

highfigh

I do need to watch Twin Peaks. They added a few new seasons to it and as a whole it's supposed to be very good. Weird, but good.
I watched it when it was on before- ever notice what was in the background in some episodes more than a few cops were in the scene?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis