Audiophile Cable Synergy: Real or Snake Oil?

Is Cable Synergy Real?

• Yes. Cables make or break the sound of a system.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • No. Cable Synergy is snake oil.

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • I go wireless, no cables.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Mr MaxinValrico SIR!

I was shot in the head, WTF is your excuse?
It's obvious eugenics wasn't at play, more like the move "Hills have Eyes" or "Deliverance". There was an X-File that was pretty funky too.

"Mercury go see about Papa Jupe", They didn't read or get out much either. The Civil War caps gave it away so did no running water or electricity.
The little house outside with the quarter moon on it, is not your new dream bedroom either.

The inbreds have an excuse and I can take a pill to fix my issues.

Again WTF is your excuse for being RUDE and STUPID.

Party Poopin', limp noodle, booger eatin' spaz.
It pisses losers off.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A fool and his money are soon parted.
;)

The ignore button... an Audiophool's version of "I can't hear you!"
Covering Ears GIFs | Tenor

Oh well. Clearly this one and MTG share the same DNA when it comes to obliviating fact. :p

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Anyone would have to go out of their way NOT to get along with the GR crew. I think it would be a great learning experience for ME.
Mr. Gene has a wealth of knowledge.
Danny has a few years under his belt.

2ch music vs multichannel sound affects. Two different worlds in sound but only one is made just for music. Not bad HT either.

I've NEVER had anything but great service and advise from the GR crew. Every question I ever ask was answered with complete respect
for the person asking the question. There are no dumb question, and if there were, they were still answered with maybe a better way to ask it.

Where are the measurements is EXACTLY what the Vinyl Attack video is addressing.
Honesty, and wisdom, some folks are so refreshing. Danny is very easy to listen too. He made me feel quite at ease when I spoke with him a few
different times. He was always a gentleman.

The Vinyl Attack video I can relate to. The comment on crossovers and the visual difference. They measure the same, and sound different.

Sage advise and good information.

Danny = Fake news. Total BS.
He has done more for DIY high quality Audiophile speakers than anybody. Period.. Name one company or person
that has done more.

Calling GR fake news. Good Lord. Arrogance and ignorance do not make good bed fellows, sounds like the green eyed monster again. A great American
story. GR and all the support crew.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Danny's foray into nonsensical cable and connectors and relying on his hearing rather than valid measurements may appeal to you, but just more audio bullshit to many of us.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
The series that Gene did with Anthony Grimani on room treatments was an absolute game changer for me. I followed that video step by step, exchanged e-mails with Anthony AND Wilfred Van Balen (Auro 3D founder) replied as well. A sit down in TX with Gene and Danny? Fugedaboutit! If they did a series on power (Gene did two good videos already, one on the importance of a dedicated 20V outlet and a review of Fuhrman conditioners), cables, speakers and subs. I think it would break a record for number of views.
I can hear the heads exploding of the potty mouth crowd already, "Proof, you can't handle the proof".o_O

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The series that Gene did with Anthony Grimani on room treatments was an absolute game changer for me. I followed that video step by step, exchanged e-mails with Anthony AND Wilfred Van Balen (Auro 3D founder) replied as well. A sit down in TX with Gene and Danny? Fugedaboutit! If they did a series on power (Gene did two good videos already, one on the importance of a dedicated 20V outlet and a review of Fuhrman conditioners), cables, speakers and subs. I think it would break a record for number of views.
Nice you took some good audio advice, too bad you're immune to it with the silly Mapleshady stuff or Danny's bs. A 20V outlet? Eh? Fuhrman review was a slight endorsement, but certainly not needed by everyone. Lol doubt that all that many people are aware of either's videos particularly, tho, as far as records go.

H

HackMan55

Enthusiast
Hi Hackman, What are you trying to accomplish (2ch or HT), what is your budget, and what is your taste in movies and music? Welcome. I think a good article to get started with can be found here. The speakers listed in the article are expensive, but good active streaming speakers that are smaller can be found for hundreds, not thousands, of dollars:

Always appreciative of any advice, it's cool of you to offer.

But I'm extremely low budget. The system I have put together is comprised entirely of free items, things bought with a steep employee discount and a couple used pieces. It's an interest I stumbled into rather late in life. I love to read about all the gnarly stuff I'd like to get or try out but it isn't anything I am able to justify spending significant money on. I've cobbled together a living room 9.2 set-up focused mostly on tv/movies but a fair amount of music listening as well.

While my system is totally low end compared to 99% of the folks here, I've found it to be better than 95% of the average home. That lets me take some pride in it and if I learn a little each day, have a bit of luck, and keep my eyes open for good deals, maybe someday I'll have gear that will let me take part in more of these threads, lol.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic

But I'm extremely low budget. The system I have put together is comprised entirely of free items, things bought with a steep employee discount and a couple used pieces. It's an interest I stumbled into rather late in life. I love to read about all the gnarly stuff I'd like to get or try out but it isn't anything I am able to justify spending significant money on. I've cobbled together a living room 9.2 set-up focused mostly on tv/movies but a fair amount of music listening as well.

While my system is totally low end compared to 99% of the folks here, I've found it to be better than 95% of the average home. That lets me take some pride in it and if I learn a little each day, have a bit of luck, and keep my eyes open for good deals, maybe someday I'll have gear that will let me take part in more of these threads, lol.
OK, 9.2 setup on a shoestring budget, congrats. Get the specs from Dolby on speaker positioning and follow it as closely as possible. They have a lot of angles to pay attention to but the results can be amazing, even if the only thing you'll spend is your time.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
This is what it is all about. It takes the fun out of a build if it strains a budget. I use to hate that. BUT I stuck it out and collected for over 50 years. I can piece
together anything I want to hear. I was just listening to some Jenson Imperials. I think my wifes father picked them up in 1960 or something for 400.00 dollars.
He loved those speakers. So do I.

I'm a stereo person, for the most part. 3 main speaker (sometimes) 2 bass columns and 4 dual OB servo subs. None of it would have mattered without room tuning and treatment. It's still 50% of the sound. Passive room treatment (heavy curtains) and tunable helmholtz traps. My first ones were 12" sonotube from home depot. The curtains were second hand. I had under 500.00 total with heavy draw bars and 6 60" sonotube. Looked very professional. I still have the trap in one shop against the wall.
It stops the neighbors pool from splashing water on my tomato plants. :cool:

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic

What is the model of receiver you are using?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no problem admitting I have less knowledge about this subject and far less credibility than any other poster in this thread. For some reason, I'm going to pretend the opinion of a total home audio/home theater novice will be a worthwhile contribution, so bear with me.

I've read enough here-and thought about what seems logical-to not question the fallacy of exotic cabling being a game changer/normally functioning amps sounding the same/etc.. Intelligent individuals with a ton of expertise have convinced me.

That said, I do feel I have heard audio quality differences in the avr's I have had. I can admit this is most likely in my head and double blind testing would probably prove me wrong. But if I feel that my old Integra sounds different or better than the Sony I had, it kinda makes it true, even if only to me. So a little part of me feels we shouldn't tell these people they are wrong.

On the flip side, I believe spreading these notions can be shady and just plain wrong. I used to be a satellite technician and the company forced us to pimp higher priced Audioquest hdmi and optical cables. It was told to us there is actual video or audio improvement and most of us believed because we didn't know any better (I hadn't yet had much interest in home theater). After a while I started wondering...."it's digital. I'd think it either works or doesn't, there shouldn't be much difference". I started paying attention and concluded they didn't sound or look any different from the cheap cables we gave away for free. Unfortunately, most customers were as ignorant as we were and saw us as experts. If we said more expensive accessories were better, they assumed it to be true. I soon grew to feel dirty trying to tell people they should upgrade hdmi cables for their non 4k tv's or that an AQ optical cable would be a better choice than any cheap hdmi for their audio. I felt like a jerk and it was a main reason I moved on from the company.

If people like me want to throw out logic and believe this component really does "sound" better, those who know better shouldn't try to shame us about it or convince us we are wrong. However, it is also irresponsible of people who throw aside silly things like science and testing in favor of our subjective opinion to insist the experts are wrong and that those who don't know any better should invest money they may not have or could really use better elsewhere.

tl, dr: if people want to think magic cables or similar are better, let them think so. It does to them. If you do feel that way, don't trumpet your beliefs to people who may believe you without some credible evidence to back you up.

p.s.
I still have several of those AQ cables. While no noticeable quality difference, I will concede the build quality has proven better than any of the cheaper cables I've since acquired.
Glad you had that fraudioquest cabling experience. As to what sounds better to you, that's a personal experience that may or may not be rooted in reality....the key is figuring out if it is or isn't. Many swear by placebos, and for them that may work, but in these forums we tend to stick to science and provable things rather than an individual's subjective/casual observations which are often fraught with bias of various sorts. We tend not to be very tolerant of the cable nonsense particularly here, it is somewhat a basis of the forum.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Hackman55, you are in FANTASTIC shape. That is one of Integra's "Ultra-2 THX" line and retailed for $2K when it came out in 2010. This is a thread on cables which I don't want to derail. If you want you can start a new thread asking for ideas from members on low cost ways to upgrade. It has a feature called Audyssey DSX that I use all the time. Following the attached setup guidelines from Audyssey is FREE and will help you get the most enjoyment from your system. Yoiu can download the manual here and save the two attachments below for review:

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis