AudioKinesis Bienville Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The AudioKinesis Bienville Main Modules speaker system is a balance between three important design goals: high sound quality, enormous dynamic range, and an agreeable appearance. Our demo at the 2016 AXPONA show proved these speakers met these goals in spades, especially with their effortless ability to produce lifelike dynamics.

You can tweak that sound till your hearts content by shelving the high frequency response, plugging ports or operating the system in bipole or dipole mode. The AudioKinesis speaker system was truly a unique gem at the show.

Read: AudioKinesis Bienville Speakers Preview

R

ro7939

Audiophyte
As an AudioKinesis dealer in N. Utah, I'd like to thank the author for such a fantastic, well written show report.

I'd like to also add another tuning feature to many included in this great article.

Viewed from the top, Bienville Suite follows a general triangle shape. Because of this shape, there is no absolute L/R assignment to each cabinet.

As employed at the show, the reverberant field drivers fired rearward toward the front wall. If the speakers swapped places, the reverberant field drivers would fire toward the side wall.

This is another intentionally engineered tuning feature, allowing buyers to get even closer to his or her absolutely ideal performance, in any listening room.

Dealers are happy to help sort out and speed up the tuning process, making it an enjoyable part of ownership, getting buyers closer to that elusive sonic nirvana than ever before.

James Romeyn
Providence, Utah

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Interesting speakers. Did the plugs for the rear ports come from the plumbing department at Home Depot?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Glad to see Audiokinesis still doing their thing. I see they've gone with what appear to be SEOS waveguides.

And that does indeed look like a cleanout plug from the Home Despot.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've used rolled up towels for port plugs before. Hey, it works.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Rolled up towels? I'm kind of partial to a pair of old socks, preferably washed.

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
Thank you very much James! Your deep passion for the how and why behind good sound comes though in your writing. It is an honor to have my speakers included in your Axpona 2016 show report.

You even remarked that “AudioKinesis gets it!” That is EXACTLY how I feel about you and about the Audioholics staff in general! What has struck me the most about the content produced by Audiohilics is that you guys really do get it. For instance, when I first discovered that you guys embrace the distributed multi-sub paradigm, I was so glad to see the idea legitimized ”out in the field”. I was of course aware of the work by Toole, Welti, and Geddes, the latter being my mentor. The first version of the Swarm came out in 2006 after Earl Geddes told me of his asymmetrical multisub concept and gave me permission to use his idea.

The variable-level rear-firing array of drivers owe much to the research of David Griesinger. Writing about what makes a good seat in a concert hall, he described the need for a foreground stream of direct sound, and a background stream of reverberation. He notes that the earlier the onset of reflections, the more they tend to mask the direct sound – so I would say that, in addition to the two streams, there is a third element needed: A time delay between the direct sound and the strong onset of reflections, which implies that aggressive radiation pattern control is called for to minimize those early reflections. I call this the “Two Streams Paradigm”, borrowing the wording from Griesinger because he articulated it so well, but the basic idea was known long ago and was behind the LEDE room concept from the 1980's. Note that the two energy streams are something that a well set-up pair of dipole speakers (like the Martin Logan Neolith) does well, and are something that a good multi-channel system inherently excels at.

Speaking of which, the aggressive pattern control of the Bienville Suite Main Modules arguably makes a center channel speaker optional for a home theater setup. A decent central image is maintained even for listeners well off to one side with proper set-up. I have customers who have sold their center-channel speakers because they liked multi-channel music and movies better in phantom center mode. (That being said, for anyone with asymmetrical hearing loss, phantom center mode fails to anchor the dialogue onscreen even with my speakers, so a dedicated center channel speaker would be needed.) I realize my claim of not needing a center channel speaker goes against what Audioholics has found to work well, but I don't think you guys have tried it yet with speakers having the degree of pattern control that mine do, and set up with the axes criss-crossing in front of the listening position. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Again thank you very much James for your interest in and thorough description of my speakers, and for including them here.

And thank you Gene for your kind and encouraging words. I didn't realize you were in the room or I'd have said something to the people there like, “This is Gene from Audioholics – go check out his videos and the Audioholics articles and website because this guy GETS IT!”

Duke LeJeune
AudioKinesis

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
Glad to see Audiokinesis still doing their thing. I see they've gone with what appear to be SEOS waveguides.
Good eyes! Yup, you could even say that the SEOS waveguide is the heart of the design. The two large midwoofers were chosen specifically with pattern-matching the SEOS as a top priority, and the crossover design followed from there.

I've been doing speakers with waveguide-style horns since 2006 (and worked with Earl Geddes on the development of what became the Summa before that). JBL is legitimizing high-end horn speakers with their M2 studio monitors and Model 4367 Synthesis speakers, which is good news for me and my kind, as now people are a bit less inclined to "listen with their eyes" when they see horns. Note James Larson's comment on the subject of horn sound from my speakers (or rather, the lack thereof) in his preview. Along similar lines, a blind audiophile ("Mr. Peabody" on Audio Asylum) spent quite a bit of time in our room and had no idea he was listening to horns until I told him.

Did the plugs for the rear ports come from the plumbing department at Home Depot?
Bah! Don't be fooled by cheap imitations!

I'll have you know that my exclusive Port Plugs are the real deal: Genuine Mil-Spec, Laser-Cut, Hospital Grade, Cryo-Treated and Digital Ready.

And no, they absolutely DID NOT come from Home Depot.

They came from Lowes.

Last edited:
TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Thank you very much James! Your deep passion for the how and why behind good sound comes though in your writing. It is an honor to have my speakers included in your Axpona 2016 show report.

You even remarked that “AudioKinesis gets it!” That is EXACTLY how I feel about you and about the Audioholics staff in general! What has struck me the most about the content produced by Audiohilics is that you guys really do get it. For instance, when I first discovered that you guys embrace the distributed multi-sub paradigm, I was so glad to see the idea legitimized ”out in the field”. I was of course aware of the work by Toole, Welti, and Geddes, the latter being my mentor. The first version of the Swarm came out in 2006 after Earl Geddes told me of his asymmetrical multisub concept and gave me permission to use his idea.

The variable-level rear-firing array of drivers owe much to the research of David Griesinger. Writing about what makes a good seat in a concert hall, he described the need for a foreground stream of direct sound, and a background stream of reverberation. He notes that the earlier the onset of reflections, the more they tend to mask the direct sound – so I would say that, in addition to the two streams, there is a third element needed: A time delay between the direct sound and the strong onset of reflections, which implies that aggressive radiation pattern control is called for to minimize those early reflections. I call this the “Two Streams Paradigm”, borrowing the wording from Griesinger because he articulated it so well, but the basic idea was known long ago and was behind the LEDE room concept from the 1980's. Note that the two energy streams are something that a well set-up pair of dipole speakers (like the Martin Logan Neolith) does well, and are something that a good multi-channel system inherently excels at.

Speaking of which, the aggressive pattern control of the Bienville Suite Main Modules arguably makes a center channel speaker optional for a home theater setup. A decent central image is maintained even for listeners well off to one side with proper set-up. I have customers who have sold their center-channel speakers because they liked multi-channel music and movies better in phantom center mode. (That being said, for anyone with asymmetrical hearing loss, phantom center mode fails to anchor the dialogue onscreen even with my speakers, so a dedicated center channel speaker would be needed.) I realize my claim of not needing a center channel speaker goes against what Audioholics has found to work well, but I don't think you guys have tried it yet with speakers having the degree of pattern control that mine do, and set up with the axes criss-crossing in front of the listening position. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Again thank you very much James for your interest in and thorough description of my speakers, and for including them here.

And thank you Gene for your kind and encouraging words. I didn't realize you were in the room or I'd have said something to the people there like, “This is Gene from Audioholics – go check out his videos and the Audioholics articles and website because this guy GETS IT!”

Duke LeJeune
AudioKinesis
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We love our work and getting the good out into the public. Bertha DellaSala, Accounts and Social Media Manager.

R

ro7939

Audiophyte
...JBL is legitimizing high-end horn speakers with their M2 studio monitors and Model 4367 Synthesis speakers, which is good news for me and my kind, as now people are a bit less inclined to "listen with their eyes" when they see horns. Note James Larson's comment on the subject of horn sound from my speakers (or rather, the lack thereof) in his preview. Along similar lines, a blind audiophile ("Mr. Peabody" on Audio Asylum) spent quite a bit of time in our room and had no idea he was listening to horns until I told him...
"Big Fish Automation" is in Draper, Utah, 20 minutes S of Salt Lake City and about 90 minutes S of me in Providence, Utah. I had the rare pleasure to audition in BFA's large fully treated room, Revel's F206 (best Performa3 series, $5k/pr) and Revel's best speaker the Salon2 (low $30k/pr IIRC). A few yards away is their large deluxe theater w/JBL's spectacular M2 Master Reference Monitor ($20k/pr w/amps and DSP).

F206 sounds more than agreeable, then comes the Salon2, with more ease, smoothness, and musical detail. Then there's the M2, which they display high-pass crossed @ 60 Hz w/dual 18" powered JBL subs.

Compared to the Salon2, M2 has infinitely greater density, power, and spatial performance. I'd rate the M2 among the world's best loudspeakers, and no known cone/dome system could withstand direct AB. Certainly the M2 dispatched the more costly Salon2, no slouch by any metric.

I currently have setup two AudioKinesis Sigma 96 dB satellites w/Beryllium compression drivers, two Space Generator reverberant field speakers, and a five piece distributed sub array + kilowatt sub amp. Images here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142420.0

It's not a direct AB, but of course I played the same music as soon as I could after the ninety minute drive home. As an AK dealer, my financial bias is obvious. Still, for pure listening pleasure, I preferred my $12k AK system over JBL's mighty M2 w/subs.

In the normal high end world of cones and domes I can't imagine anything touching JBL's M2. This may explain why audio rags seldom if ever mention the M2. Wilson Audio's 8" 2-way bookshelf/stand mount has $22k/pr SRP!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Compared to the Salon2, M2 has infinitely greater density, power, and spatial performance. I'd rate the M2 among the world's best loudspeakers, and no known cone/dome system could withstand direct AB. Certainly the M2 dispatched the more costly Salon2, no slouch by any metric.

I've heard the M2 at length. What is "greater density"? Have you heard them playing solo piano?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Thanks for your kind words Duke. However, I was NOT at AXPONA. James Larson covered the show for us.

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
Thank you Bertha, and thank you Brian.

Thanks for your kind words Duke. However, I was NOT at AXPONA. James Larson covered the show for us.
Hi Gene, thanks for exolaining. I don't feel so bad about not noticing you now!

I spoke with Jeff Hedback earlier today and he had really good things to say about you and about James. For those who don't know, Jeff is a top-level acoustician whose studio designs have won many awards, and he's actually still affordable for regular audiophiles.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis