Audioholics reviews/tests of some of the newer, small, class D, relatively inexpensive streaming amps.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
Not sure if this is the right area to post this…

I would really enjoy Audioholics reviews/tests of some of the newer, small, class D, relatively inexpensive streaming amps.

There are 2 new models with higher advertised power specs that I am particularly interested in:

SVS Powerbase ($499) with 150 w/ch into 4 Ohms advertised power
Sonos Amp ($599) with 125 w/ch into 8 Ohms advertised power

Would love to see some real power and DAC performance measurements.

The ultimate question is whether this new breed of class D streaming amps has a place in a high performance 2-channel system, driving nice floorstanders or bookshelf speakers.

Personally, I already have a multi-channel system with a pre-pro and class A/B power amps, and also have a separate 2-channel system with a class A/B amp. However, these class D streaming amps are an interesting proposition in terms of all-in-one connectivity, small form-factor, low heat output, and relatively low cost. However, could they replace a good class A/B amp and a separate DAC (plus streaming device)? That’s the question.

Some other examples of class D streaming amps of interest:

Denon Heos Amp
Yamaha WXA-50
Klipsch Powergate

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While both SVS and Sonos amps are in "coming soon" status, It would be interesting to see some amp section testing done. Class D amps could deliver very accurate amplification if designed correctly. It's been already done, ICEPower, for example, is already very widely used.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
While both SVS and Sonos amps are in "coming soon" status, It would be interesting to see some amp section testing done. Class D amps could deliver very accurate amplification if designed correctly. It's been already done, ICEPower, for example, is already very widely used.
Yes, for these "coming soon" amps from SVS and Sonos, THD, bandwidth, etc., are not provided in the advertised power specs. It would be interesting to know their true power output per Audioholics-type standards. It would also be interesting to see their DAC performance measurements.

As a sidenote, I've been testing a Klipsch Powergate amp the last couple weeks, since they are now less than 1/2 of their original price on Amazon. I plan to use it in a bedroom/semi-portable system. I've been testing it with a pair of NHT SB3 bookshelf speakers, which are below average sensitivity. The Klipsch Powergate powers them to satisfying levels with no signs of distortion, which surprised me a bit. The combo actually sounds quite good. For reference, here are Klipsch's advertised power specs:

2 x 50W continuous / 100W peak 8 ohms, <0.04% THD+N, 1kHz
2 x 75W continuous / 150W peak 6 ohms, <0.06% THD+N, 1kHz
2 x 100W continuous / 200W peak 4 ohms, <0.08% THD+N, 1kHz

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I would love to see something like the $145 SMSL AD18 tested!
Plenty of subjective reviews applauding it (which means it does not sound overtly crappy!),but it would be nice to see if their bandwidth, distortion, and power levels are decent or not!
I have one of these and it sounds fine, but I don't have a way to really A-B it without out a significant lag when switching cables.

As is, I have no issue using it for non-critical background music systems, but I am reluctant to use it to drive my better speakers until I know it won't impair the SQ!

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Bluetooth-Decoding-Amplifier/dp/B01M3ULDG9

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
How do those compare in regards to features to something like the Bluesound Powernode 2? I have one and love it.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
How do those compare in regards to features to something like the Bluesound Powernode 2? I have one and love it.
I would put the Bluesound Powernode 2 into the same general class of streaming amps I listed, although it is a bit more expensive.

However, there are some differences in features in these products.
  • All can do streaming services and personal libraries, but Sonos has file type, bit depth, and sampling frequency limitations that others do not. (In my personal case, the library is 100% flac rips from my CDs, so the Sonos limitations above are no biggie)
  • Some have optical inputs.
  • Some have bluetooth.
  • Advertised power output differences.
I've played with several streaming software/hardware types (Sonos, DTS Play-Fi, Bose Soundtouch Wireless, Chromecast Audio). Of these, Sonos is the most stable and convenient for the combination of a 16/44.1 flac library and Spotify Premium streaming.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The new Bluesound players (Powernode 2i, Node 2i, Vault 2i, etc) all now offer dual-band wifi, two-way Bluetooth 4.2 w/AptX HD, and Airplay 2. They've always been able to handle up to 24/192 files, wireless, Streaming from Spotify/Spotify Premium, Tidal HiFi/Tidal Premium, and myriad other music sources.

I think they offer good value for the money.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
The new Bluesound players (Powernode 2i, Node 2i, Vault 2i, etc) all now offer dual-band wifi, two-way Bluetooth 4.2 w/AptX HD, and Airplay 2. They've always been able to handle up to 24/192 files, wireless, Streaming from Spotify/Spotify Premium, Tidal HiFi/Tidal Premium, and myriad other music sources.

I think they offer good value for the money.
Yes, very nice feature set.

Do they use DLNA for the local library, or a proprietary protocol? Is local library streaming stable and reliable over wifi?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm kind of computer illiterate, not sure what DLNA means but can tell you that when I got the Vault, Powernode, and BluOS kit in my NAD T758 receiver they were all super simple to connect. Two of the 3 are Ethernet connected, the BluOS kit wireless. Load the app on my phone, tablet, and (in my office) Windows PC, they all comment to my network, find each other and share both the Vault 2's library and my NAS library.

It's as simple as I am.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis