Audioholics reviews for Tonewinner subs please?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This Tonewinner outfit have ne credibility with me. They issue totally meaningless specifications.

Just look at this picture of a dual 15" sub.

I would bet that sub is grossly overported. I have a strong suspicion that design has zero engineering validity. Those ports look like they were sized and placed by the cosmetic team and not engineers.

That picture just screams:- "Got up to sell!"

BK of Southend, do quote either a -3db or -6db point. They are building for the UK market where rooms are smaller, so the market is geared to smaller form factors. There designs look appropriate not laughable like that Townwinner.

Because of onerous VAT and other taxes, UK builders have to build for a lower price point and will not compete with US subs.
Is the following SVS subwoofer overported? Most likely not:
Maybe the Tonewinner drivers have a higher fs though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This Tonewinner outfit have ne credibility with me. They issue totally meaningless specifications.

Just look at this picture of a dual 15" sub.

I would bet that sub is grossly overported. I have a strong suspicion that design has zero engineering validity. Those ports look like they were sized and placed by the cosmetic team and not engineers.

That picture just screams:- "Got up to sell!"

BK of Southend, do quote either a -3db or -6db point. They are building for the UK market where rooms are smaller, so the market is geared to smaller form factors. There designs look appropriate not laughable like that Townwinner.

Because of onerous VAT and other taxes, UK builders have to build for a lower price point and will not compete with US subs.

What it looks like is they tried to replicate a design by another company.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
@David_Alexander are Canton subwoofers available in the U.K. or are they too expensive? Cheapest I see on their website is the SUB300 for €385.00.
Over a decade ago I had a Canton subwoofer: ported, biggish and poor performance. When the amp died I bought the SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer that was much smaller and with better performance.

Stay away from Canton subwoofers, I'd say. :)

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
@David_Alexander are Canton subwoofers available in the U.K. or are they too expensive? Cheapest I see on their website is the SUB300 for €385.00.
Their subs haven't ever been on my radar. I did have one of their soundbases, which, along with their soundbars are more prevalent in the UK. But even then the sub I added to that was a REL HT1003.

What really blew people away in the UK was the advent of those Monoprice subs. I mean, they were big for their driver size but from 10" up they knocked the socks off the opposition. And then just before Monoprice left Europe they had a 'firesale' when I picked up a couple of M-15 v2's for £640 each which is about $830 now. They're a bit obscene in a UK living room set up though.

If I got the Monoprice 'amp failure' it would it would make more sense to convert one over to an external amp.

But the withdrawal of Monoprice has left a void in the UK for those who have got used to, or fancy, big powerful (budget) ported subs. Hence the interest in Tonewinner.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Their subs haven't ever been on my radar. I did have one of their soundbases, which, along with their soundbars are more prevalent in the UK. But even then the sub I added to that was a REL HT1003.

What really blew people away in the UK was the advent of those Monoprice subs. I mean, they were big for their driver size but from 10" up they knocked the socks off the opposition. And then just before Monoprice left Europe they had a 'firesale' when I picked up a couple of M-15 v2's for £640 each which is about $830 now. They're a bit obscene in a UK living room set up though.

If I got the Monoprice 'amp failure' it would it would make more sense to convert one over to an external amp.

But the withdrawal of Monoprice has left a void in the UK for those who have got used to, or fancy, big powerful (budget) ported subs. Hence the interest in Tonewinner.
Subs in the UK are a problem, and as you say you have limited choices and next to no good ones. The reason is mainly that the market is very small. Semi-detached homes and terrace homes are common. So there are a lot of shared walls, which make subs prone to cause nuisance problems with neighbors.

One solution is to design your own sub and build it, or have it built. Fortunately subs unlike other speakers are relatively easy to design. All you need is bass alignment software. Then you can design and build it yourself, or have it built in a custom C & C shop. They can take you plan and promptly cut the boards, then you can assemble it, or have them assemble and finish it.

I have designed custom subs for a number of members over the years, and they have been happy with the results. Here in the US we are spoilt for choice, but as you point out that is not the case in the UK.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Subs in the UK are a problem, and as you say you have limited choices and next to no good ones. The reason is mainly that the market is very small. Semi-detached homes and terrace homes are common. So there are a lot of shared walls, which make subs prone to cause nuisance problems with neighbors.

One solution is to design your own sub and build it, or have it built. Fortunately subs unlike other speakers are relatively easy to design. All you need is bass alignment software. [bold added] Then you can design and build it yourself, or have it built in a custom C & C shop. They can take you plan and promptly cut the boards, then you can assemble it, or have them assemble and finish it.

I have designed custom subs for a number of members over the years, and they have been happy with the results. Here in the US we are spoilt for choice, but as you point out that is not the case in the UK.
Did you just advocate for Room EQ that does this? Ooooooh, you meant designing and constructing the subwoofer. Never mind. :D :p

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Over a decade ago I had a Canton subwoofer: ported, biggish and poor performance. When the amp died I bought the SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer that was much smaller and with better performance.

Stay away from Canton subwoofers, I'd say. :)
I have two Canton subwoofers that came out of a retail store and apparently they never even bothered to hook them. Metal cones and small form factor. I tried them out in my HT and they sounded very good to my ears, comparable to my SB-2000Pro. They don't dig quite as deep as the bigger SVS but get close enough to 20Hz for HT use. I imagine they have made some improvements in the last decade. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis