Audioholics reviews for Tonewinner subs please?

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
It looks like Tonewinner are continuing to release some high performance, budget friendly subs to US and EU markets. I know they are big and heavy, but any chance that Audioholics (@shadyJ) can be persuaded to see if they can get their hands on them for review and CEA testing?

Some reasonably heavyweight ported performers in their line-up:
D6000 = 15"
D8000 = dual opposing 15" driver
D8000 Pro = dual "in line" 15" driver (similar to Monoprice Monolith M-215)
D9000 = 18" driver

And they come with app control which looks like a result as these are heavy subs. At the moment Tonewinner haven't released CEA data so buyers are a bit in the dark as to their performance other than a few online reviews.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks like Tonewinner are continuing to release some high performance, budget friendly subs to US and EU markets. I know they are big and heavy, but any chance that Audioholics (@shadyJ) can be persuaded to see if they can get their hands on them for review and CEA testing?

Some reasonably heavyweight ported performers in their line-up:
D6000 = 15"
D8000 = dual opposing 15" driver
D8000 Pro = dual "in line" 15" driver (similar to Monoprice Monolith M-215)
D9000 = 18" driver

And they come with app control which looks like a result as these are heavy subs. At the moment Tonewinner haven't released CEA data so buyers are a bit in the dark as to their performance other than a few online reviews.
Looks like an incoming wave of the lowest of the low Chinese junk. When you see Alibaba heavily involved watch out. I would advice Shady not to waste his time.

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
Looks like an incoming wave of the lowest of the low Chinese junk. When you see Alibaba heavily involved watch out. I would advice Shady not to waste his time.
One man's Chinese junk is another man's idea of value. Unless you dismiss all forms of Chinese product or tech, in which case most of us would have fairly bare media shelves.

In the UK they are being sold by resellers, and have 5 year warranty. Fairly standard stuff.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you understand how reviews work. The company needs to reach out to AH to setup a review, not the other way around.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I believe Tonewinner manufactures the Emotiva electronics line.
Don't know personally, but Emotiva is looked down upon here.

Maybe Tonewinner makes Emotiva speakers also ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I liked this comment on ASR:
"It's pretty telling that Tonewinner keeps sending amps to lifestyle channel influencers on YouTube, but declines to send one to a reviewer like Amir who will actually measure the quality and accuracy of the amp."
Source:

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
The input I've had from users in UK and some in EU would suggest that their subs are good performers. But that's the reason I was asking if there were plans to review and properly test them. I've made a suggestion to Tonewinner to reach out.

In the UK the interest is mainly people who would have gone for the Monoprice Monolith line as they have left the EU market. But that is the market they are going for, budget performance. I don't see many people knocking Monoprice on either budget or performance (although they may have had an issue with amp QC).

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The input I've had from users in UK and some in EU would suggest that their subs are good performers. But that's the reason I was asking if there were plans to review and properly test them. I've made a suggestion to Tonewinner to reach out.

In the UK the interest is mainly people who would have gone for the Monoprice Monolith line as they have left the EU market. But that is the market they are going for, budget performance. I don't see many people knocking Monoprice on either budget or performance (although they may have had an issue with amp QC).
Takes time to build a reputation. Monoprice have several subwoofers with real good measured performance at nice prices on this very site over the years.

I've no idea how good or bad Tonewinner is in making subwoofers but I suspect they need some time to prove themselves.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

If I were in the UK market, then I'd be looking very seriously at this company for subs: https://www.bkelec.com/

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like I’ve seen good reports at AVS, but for me, time will tell. I have my sights on others for upgrade time anyway. But it’s nice to see the possibility of some competition.

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
If I were in the UK market, then I'd be looking very seriously at this company for subs: https://www.bkelec.com/
BK cheap and cheerful but way behind the curve technology wise.

Takes time to build a reputation. Monoprice have several subwoofers with real good measured performance at nice prices on this very site over the years.

I've no idea how good or bad Tonewinner is in making subwoofers but I suspect they need some time to prove themselves.
Granted, but Tonewinner are not a new company. A 5 year warranty is just that, and in the UK their isn't that much choice in budget - performance. I have two Mono M-15 v2's, and if they go to amp heaven there not the biggest of fields to replace them with at a similar cost.

In the US they'll be up against Monoprice, RSL, Klipsch and HSU. And I guess the thing they would have working for them that none of those have is the app control and 7 band PEQ.

The whole idea of the original post is to try to generate the interest to get them independently measured to CEA standards. I'm surprised they haven't published data but then neither have BK Electric ever provided measurements and they've been going for donkeys.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Granted, but Tonewinner are not a new company. A 5 year warranty is just that, and in the UK their isn't that much choice in budget - performance. I have two Mono M-15 v2's, and if they go to amp heaven there not the biggest of fields to replace them with at a similar cost.

In the US they'll be up against Monoprice, RSL, Klipsch and HSU. And I guess the thing they would have working for them that none of those have is the app control and 7 band PEQ.

The whole idea of the original post is to try to generate the interest to get them independently measured to CEA standards. I'm surprised they haven't published data but then neither have BK Electric ever provided measurements and they've been going for donkeys.
For sure it would be nice to have subwoofers from Tonewinner measured and if you took it otherwise that was not my intention.

Living in EU there are number of very well performing subwoofers that are too expensive when imported from USA (including hassle of tolls, service, time spent etc), though the availability of excellent subwoofers have increased in recent years either from local distributors or local manufacturers like Arendal.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I think you meant to say BK doesn't give you crap you don't need, and crap that breaks anyhow.
There is no big mystery to making good subs without electronic trickery..it's been done for decades.

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
I think you meant to say BK doesn't give you crap you don't need, and crap that breaks anyhow.
There is no big mystery to making good subs without electronic trickery..it's been done for decades.
Nothing over 12" . Basic A/B amplification. Subs that have a tendency to hum.

They're ok. But looking at the the BK Monolith +, I quickly moved to XTZ 12.17 Edge which is a better sub and would have stumped up for Arendal V1 as better still.

The were used by REL before REL moved on. They are British made but then so were Mini Cooper cars once. You need to move with the times.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Nothing over 12" . Basic A/B amplification. Subs that have a tendency to hum.

They're ok. They are British made but then so were Mini Cooper cars once. You need to move with the times.
Hmmm...wonder if there are any Brits here who might have some thoughts on this ? ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

This Tonewinner outfit have ne credibility with me. They issue totally meaningless specifications.

Just look at this picture of a dual 15" sub.

I would bet that sub is grossly overported. I have a strong suspicion that design has zero engineering validity. Those ports look like they were sized and placed by the cosmetic team and not engineers.

That picture just screams:- "Got up to sell!"

BK of Southend, do quote either a -3db or -6db point. They are building for the UK market where rooms are smaller, so the market is geared to smaller form factors. There designs look appropriate not laughable like that Townwinner.

Because of onerous VAT and other taxes, UK builders have to build for a lower price point and will not compete with US subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe Tonewinner manufactures the Emotiva electronics line.
Don't know personally, but Emotiva is looked down upon here.

Maybe Tonewinner makes Emotiva speakers also ?
That explains a lot. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis