Audioholics Celebrates 20 Years Online This April 2019

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Well my journey with this hobby started a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Umm oh wait that's from Star Wars lol, anyways like others I found Gene's website by accident if you can call it that. Started hanging around reading articles, the professional reviews.
It was a few years later after that I opened a account with AH. Tried a few other Forums but none where as good as AH. One of Gene's funniest post was the one about a submarine disappearing Lolo. Even today when I think about that post still gets me to lol some. Also when Gene found out that someone or I blame the Russians stole his website, boy was Gene mad. Does anyone else thinks Hugo, is really the Hulk in disguise?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well my journey with this hobby started a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Umm oh wait that's from Star Wars lol, anyways like others I found Gene's website by accident if you can call it that. Started hanging around reading articles, the professional reviews.
It was a few years later after that I opened a account with AH. Tried a few other Forums but none where as good as AH. One of Gene's funniest post was the one about a submarine disappearing Lolo. Even today when I think about that post still gets me to lol some. Also when Gene found out that someone or I blame the Russians stole his website, boy was Gene mad. Does anyone else thinks Hugo, is really the Hulk disguise?
submarine disappearing?

Yes our website was hacked by Russians long before our elections were ;)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I can't thank Gene and his staff enough for AH.

I've always been into audio equipment most of my life but the site and the people (members) raised my knowledge level to a way higher bar than it was previously. When I decided to upgrade my equipment in 2012 this site was invaluable in choosing my current setup, more than any other.

I've even met some of the members and formed some valued friendships and others were very helpful in steering me down the right road and out of the back alleys. :) A day doesn't go by that I don't check into the site to see what's happening, even though I'm pretty well setup with my equipment now.

Best of luck Gene and keep up the good work.

Salud!

majorloser

majorloser

A lot of great events, good people and awesome memories. I played with a lot of cool toys, met a bunch of great people and way more than I should have about the consumer electronics business.

Thanks Tica, Gene, Clint and Tom for teaching me how to waste MANY hours of my life pursuing home theater nirvana while hanging out with a bunch of mentally questionable people on the internet.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A lot of great events, good people and awesome memories. I played with a lot of cool toys, met a bunch of great people and way more than I should have about the consumer electronics business.

Thanks Tica, Gene, Clint and Tom for teaching me how to waste MANY hours of my life pursuing home theater nirvana while hanging out with a bunch of mentally questionable people on the internet.
David, you and you're wife were always such a huge help at our events and it was a lot of fun hanging with you. I still remember the speaker shootout we did at your place and the look on the guy's face from Emotiva when their bookshelf speaker was bested by the AV123 and RBH models ;)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I had been an Audioholics reader in the very early 2000s, I'm not sure when I discovered it exactly. But it was one of a very few I'd refer to while feeding my obsession with home theater.

I had landed a job around same time to build content for a company that was finding success in publishing, they had an arbitrage "method" between Yahoo ads and Google AdSense, and I arrived to build them something on consumer electronics. I wanted to do something for the "every-man", I found a lot of the hi-fi magazines of the day to be downright insulting by calling a $10,000 box with an A.C. cord attached to the back a "budget" option, I was always like... WTF planet is dropping $10K on a any one component a budget option?

So, I resolved to write 100 pages of content that had the same tone friends and I had while discussing audio in the 90s, when we were just broke young guys in our 20s who worshiped fine audio but couldn't afford the good stuff. So, I started GizmoCafe.com.

The more I read the more I felt Audioholics was doing it right, it was the model for the more technical stuff I occasionally needed to refer to. You guys had people like Gene and others who really knew what they talking about, so I'd often link to Audioholics as the authority. At best the site I built was supplementing Audioholics *real* knowledge. The anti-snake oil articles and takedowns of the many myths was a learning experience, I figured out why these hi-fi magazines were so disingenuous about spending vast sums of money on audio gear, and whether or not it even matters to sound quality. I learned that it mostly doesn't.

Then I sent an email to Audioholics, introducing myself, my website and asked if I could create some content for you guys. I'll never forget that day I got a response. No promises were assured, but I was tasked with doing a Universal DVD player "how to" article on wiring and use. I knew I had to hit it out of the park. I even got a designer to do graphics for it and I groomed the article to a fine point because I knew it needed to be of the highest standards. And you guys published it!

Ever since, it's been an honour for me to be able to contribute, especially the opinionated stuff. The other websites I had been working on became irrelevant due to a combination of office politics and key changes to Google's AdWords quality scores meant the "scheme" that company had developed to make money off ads evaporated.

If not for Audioholics, I'd be that crazy old uncle ranting and raving on Facebook or something. Audioholics gives me a more productive outlet for the burning middle-aged angst. ;) Although, I have to admit I still rant and rave on social media. Just less than I would normally.

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
@majorlooser and wayde robson. It's been great working with you guys. I've had a blast all these years and the volunteer help was amazing from all our team and followers. Never stop listening!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I had been an Audioholics reader in the very early 2000s, I'm not sure when I discovered it exactly. But it was one of a very few I'd refer to while feeding my obsession with home theater.

I had landed a job around same time to build content for a company that was finding success in publishing, they had an arbitrage "method" between Yahoo ads and Google AdSense, and I arrived to build them something on consumer electronics. I wanted to do something for the "every-man", I found a lot of the hi-fi magazines of the day to be downright insulting by calling a $10,000 box with an A.C. cord attached to the back a "budget" option, I was always like... WTF planet is dropping $10K on a any one component a budget option?

So, I resolved to write 100 pages of content that had the same tone friends and I had while discussing audio in the 90s, when we were just broke young guys in our 20s who worshiped fine audio but couldn't afford the good stuff. So, I started GizmoCafe.com.

The more I read the more I felt Audioholics was doing it right, it was the model for the more technical stuff I occasionally needed to refer to. You guys had people like Gene and others who really knew what they talking about, so I'd often link to Audioholics as the authority. At best the site I built was supplementing Audioholics *real* knowledge. The anti-snake oil articles and takedowns of the many myths was a learning experience, I figured out why these hi-fi magazines were so disingenuous about spending vast sums of money on audio gear, and whether or not it even matters to sound quality. I learned that it mostly doesn't.

Then I sent an email to Audioholics, introducing myself, my website and asked if I could create some content for you guys. I'll never forget that day I got a response. No promises were assured, but I was tasked with doing a Universal DVD player "how to" article on wiring and use. I knew I had to hit it out of the park. I even got a designer to do graphics for it and I groomed the article to a fine point because I knew it needed to be of the highest standards. And you guys published it!

Ever since, it's been an honour for me to be able to contribute, especially the opinionated stuff. The other websites I had been working on became irrelevant due to a combination of office politics and key changes to Google's AdWords quality scores meant the "scheme" that company had developed to make money off ads evaporated.

If not for Audioholics, I'd be that crazy old uncle ranting and raving on Facebook or something. Audioholics gives me a more productive outlet for the burning middle-aged angst. ;) Although, I have to admit I still rant and rave on social media. Just less than I would normally.
Awesome Wayde, thanks for refreshing my memory on how we met. I remember that article and in fact I think it may be time to refresh it with the latest hardware connections. Wanna volunteer? :)

Thanks for all your support and contributions to the site, it's really made a big difference to us. Glad you're part of our team!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Awesome Wayde, thanks for refreshing my memory on how we met. I remember that article and in fact I think it may be time to refresh it with the latest hardware connections. Wanna volunteer? :)
I can add it to the list. I've got a few things coming up ASAP.

I'm actually working on Part 2 of 5G series right now, and this one is a TRUE doomsday scenario. Where I'm skeptical of the harm that can come from environmental RF, I'm getting downright conspiratorial about the effects of surveillance on our very way of life.

I had long been contemplating a "setup" how-to article on headphones. There's actually a growing headphone "audiophile" community today. Sadly, there's also a lot of snake oil in that community.

Y

Yaniv.sheffer

Audiophyte
I’m following up on Audioholics YouTube channel for few years.
Few years ago I was looking for headphones to help me enjoy the evenings and I listened to Gene’s review on RBH HP-2 . He was so impressed with these set that I decided to purchase a pair including importing it since there is no RBH representation in Israel. What a surprisingly musical set!! The sound reproduction is so authentic and I’m very happy. Even I gave a friend a try and he was amazed. Another product Gene reviewed was RBH sidekick Bluetooth speaker which is so good that my friends asking where to buy it. So what am I saying is that I trust Gene’s ears and enthusiasm. Good job and thanks. Ah … also I’m a happy Patreon so come join in.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Gene,

That is an awesome resume. Keep up the good work and best wishes for at least 40 more years of interesting articles and promotion of sound advice to audiophiles and home theater owners as well as prospective equipment buyers.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I’m following up on Audioholics YouTube channel for few years.
Few years ago I was looking for headphones to help me enjoy the evenings and I listened to Gene’s review on RBH HP-2 . He was so impressed with these set that I decided to purchase a pair including importing it since there is no RBH representation in Israel. What a surprisingly musical set!! The sound reproduction is so authentic and I’m very happy. Even I gave a friend a try and he was amazed. Another product Gene reviewed was RBH sidekick Bluetooth speaker which is so good that my friends asking where to buy it. So what am I saying is that I trust Gene’s ears and enthusiasm. Good job and thanks. Ah … also I’m a happy Patreon so come join in.
awesome story, so inspiring that we are that far reaching around the world ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

That is an awesome resume. Keep up the good work and best wishes for at least 40 more years of interesting articles and promotion of sound advice to audiophiles and home theater owners as well as prospective equipment buyers.
thanks but in 40 years I will be 85 and likely not very reliable with my listening tests by then ;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Congratulations Gene on 20 years of Audioholics. Doing anything that long isn't easy, much less doing it successfully :).

I remember first signing in at Audioholics in September 2004. It wasn't my first audio forum, but the previous forum (Un-named site.com) had gone over to the dark side – new ownership valued advertisers more than input from forum members. Previously, that site had been known for both humor among regular posters, as well as some highly entertaining forum fist fights whenever outside provocateurs appeared. The new owners decided a team of moderators who believed in audio voodoo, including sound qualities attributable to different speaker cables :eek:, would be just the ticket. They wanted to discus that topic ad nauseum, without permitting dissent. That caused a major exodus of members. If I remember correctly, it was mtrycrafts who persuaded me to come join him and several others here at AH. I quickly became glad I did.

Since then, Audioholics is the place I go to make sure that people on the internet don't get audio matters wrong. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it :D.

Last edited:
V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I have had a great passion for for music,movies and all the gear that brings it to life in your home for over 35yrs. much of my gear was purchased in the early 90,s and your forum helped me set up and get the best performance I have ever had out of my system, not to mention reviews and recommendations like svs pb ultra 16 and Yamaha's rxa3070 that I enjoy tremendously. Gene I can't thank you and all your members enough, the hours you spend to make it possible are appreciated, SINCERELY

O

Old-Timer

Audioholic Intern
First off - congrats to you (Gene) and your staff on the 20-year anniversary.

I cannot remember exactly how I got directed to your site for the first time, but the first visit was almost the last. I was connected to your video "Expensive Audio Cables Really Do Sound Better". Hearing about batteries being placed on the cables, freezing cables, and "strand-jumping", I almost clicked out of the site. Luckily, I was curious to see what other $h!t you were going to spew. Then, at 3:54 of the video, you said, "It's all total bullshit." I decided to stick around, and since then have spent a great deal of my free time catching up on all of your articles and videos.

I recently retired and, due to downsizing, gifted my old gear (Hafler DH-110 pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 amp, Snell Type E Series II loudspeakers, Dual CS5000 turntable (Shure V15 Type VMR), Nakamichi 582 Cassette Deck, and Sony CDP-C7ESD CD changer) to my sons. And since I have converted all of my music sources to FLAC files, I'm looking to replace all that gear with a modest receiver (I never really got into Home Theater as much as I did audio, so my main concern is getting good two channel music reproduction). When I discovered that stereo receivers cost more than a comparable A/V receiver, I decided to check the A/V's out.

So, I will be culling through your reviews to narrow my choices - just wish your compilation of the best A/V receivers of 2019 had already been published.

Please continue the good work.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Great video on the history of your endeavor and inner workings of the "plan".

And Bertica is looking very gangster, in a good way, with the shades :)

Congrats again! And to another 20 years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis