Audioholics 2021 Product of Year Award Winners!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I feel like we’ve discussed this before… only you can decide the value for yourself, in terms of whether the Yammie is worth keeping against the risk of continued bungling from Yamaha.
The kicker is that there really isn’t much on the market I would recommend right now (including AVPs), unless you get something like the Denon 3700 as a placeholder.
But for the cost of the new Yamahas, they seem to sound ok… but all accounts (pending publication of @gene ’s findings) also tell of problems… which are why I continue to stand by by position that none of these companies should be supported until they get their tech working properly.
(The Denon’s do work… with the dongle. And they measure exceptionally well).
*shrugs

Again… only you can decide where your values lie. ;)
What bothers me about Yamaha is this is starting to become a trend. First there was the volume control issue on the left right xlr inputs on the CX A5200. Now even worse issues with this new batch of AVRs after Gene measured and worked with them on that previous batch. Not only do they seem to be ignoring his advice they actually seem to be going backwards

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
We didn't review many due to supply chain issue and Yamaha isn't a contender due to my measurement results.
Do you mean the measurement results you haven't posted?
Isn't it time to stop teasing us with little bits of info and give us the whole thing?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well even if Yamaha can make the suggested improvements on future RXA8B or RXA8C models, that’s still worth Gene’s hard work.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, Gene, for the informative list. Now if I could afford some of that stuff it would be nice. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Isn't it time to stop teasing us with little bits of info and give us the whole thing?
Yea when I get around to finishing my report. The measurements are up on our Patreon.com/audioholics if you're that impatient.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What bothers me about Yamaha is this is starting to become a trend. First there was the volume control issue on the left right xlr inputs on the CX A5200. Now even worse issues with this new batch of AVRs after Gene measured and worked with them on that previous batch. Not only do they seem to be ignoring his advice they actually seem to be going backwards
This!! Now, look, I've stated and joked on the Yamaha issues, ( I can't not disagree, cause I do agree) Yamaha, Yamaha seems to have dropped the ball on this new line. Yes I highly recommend Yamaha, but with caution. The facts speak for themselve. I jumped over to Yamaha middle of 2016, after getting burnet by Onkyo which they made good on. Lost one AVR completely the nr705. Now this.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yea when I get around to finishing my report. The measurements are up on our Patreon.com/audioholics if you're that impatient.
Gene, lol, I'm sure you've been inundated with inbox messages on your finding.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just know, Gene, we do love you... and you know the saying about pulling the ponytails of the ones you love(?)! ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, although I respect your approach, you don't go poking a Lion. I'm surprised Gene even gave that up. Your lucky you only got a slap on the back of your hand. Sooo..umm postup! When you get the info!!!:D

Last edited:
Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Well after reading over a hundred pages I guess I decided to poke the bear, nothing personal :)
I've got the A6A myself so maybe I got a little impatient. Keep up the great work.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well after reading over a hundred pages I guess I decided to poke the bear, nothing personal :)
I've got the A6A myself so maybe I got a little impatient. Keep up the great work.
No worries. I wish I had some help to get more site operations done so I could more effectively focus on my own content. Please note, the measurements I'm complaining about likely won't result in audibility. But, I can't in good conscious give them an award for mediocre measurement results that they aren't even addressing. This is hard b/c I love Yamaha and they've been a regular sponsor of our website.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
No worries. I wish I had some help to get more site operations done so I could more effectively focus on my own content. Please note, the measurements I'm complaining about likely won't result in audibility. But, I can't in good conscious give them an award for mediocre measurement results that they aren't even addressing. This is hard b/c I love Yamaha and they've been a regular sponsor of our website.
Thank you very much for your hard work Gene. Without you there would be only subjective reviews which are mostly useless. Don't worry for Yamaha, I gave them my money, they will have some budget to create a better revision of the Aventage that will I hope make you (and me) happy. Without your findings and your publication nobody would be aware of such "not that good" behavior. And the only way to get some better AVR is to have people like you that do in depth scientific reviews with proper tools to get a good overview. I am a bit sad, like you that after all the (good to me) communication around this new line up, interviews, details about how they improved a lot of things, they failed in something that is obviously a key feature in any amplifier : distortion.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So I screwed up publishing this article without it being completed last night. I added the following:
  1. THX Onyx portable headphone DAC
  2. Valencia Seating Tuscany
  3. Storm Audio ISP (review is uploaded and will publish this week)

Sorry, I thought I had the final draft of this before posting but Wayde had updates I didn't incorporate. Hit refresh in about 30 min and you will see the updates.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think using an avr instead of a dedicated prepro represents a compromise on sound.

As far as the heat thing, if you're using a separate amp you can turn on eco mode, not lose anything and your avr runs MUCH cooler. I used to use a fan but when I got the amp I didn't need it anymore. My avr never gets hot anymore. Just warm to the touch.
Agreed. And agreed.
Nothing wrong with an AVR as a preamp, other than trying to have a big D contest.

I’m probably the bread crumbs in the butter but I think the heat thing is just overdone. I’ve owned receivers from all brands and the only one that’s ever failed was an Onkyo 808. Never really got that hot, but the board took a dump. They of course fixed it which i applaud them for. Especially since I don’t think any other companies would have done all that to fix their rep. Too bad some people still think onkyos are susceptible to failure. I have a pioneer 1019ahk that gets hotter than the sun! My 6012 gets hot with eco off, but not as bad as the pio. It’s been flawless for ten years. I guess I feel like their engineers know what their doing. Sure the AVR gets hot. But it’s only hot compared to the comfort level of my body. My engine gets hot too. Doesn’t freak me out though lol. I do use eco mode, but only because the option is built in. And my super mega awesome badass unmatched unparalleled untouchable next level ass kikkin Yamaha pro amp has my mains on lockdown.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. And agreed.
Nothing wrong with an AVR as a preamp, other than trying to have a big D contest.

I’m probably the bread crumbs in the butter but I think the heat thing is just overdone. I’ve owned receivers from all brands and the only one that’s ever failed was an Onkyo 808. Never really got that hot, but the board took a dump. They of course fixed it which i applaud them for. Especially since I don’t think any other companies would have done all that to fix their rep. Too bad some people still think onkyos are susceptible to failure. I have a pioneer 1019ahk that gets hotter than the sun! My 6012 gets hot with eco off, but not as bad as the pio. It’s been flawless for ten years. I guess I feel like their engineers know what their doing. Sure the AVR gets hot. But it’s only hot compared to the comfort level of my body. My engine gets hot too. Doesn’t freak me out though lol. I do use eco mode, but only because the option is built in. And my super mega awesome badass unmatched unparalleled untouchable next level ass kikkin Yamaha pro amp has my mains on lockdown.
Lol, yep gotta say Onkyo stepped up took their lick, I sent off two nr818 AVR's. Just sold them off is all. One still being used by one friend the other was sold to a internet peep can't say if it's still being used. The heat thing is overblown, I did use fans, no bid deal really. The only time my NR818 would get hot, was at volumes passed -15 and up other than that not so much. I could do pre-pro to a point where I live now, AVR's are just convenient. The lil running joke on AVR's is nothing more than that. Onkyo seems to making a really nice come back, Denon has pretty much always been solid as Marantz is. Lol (Pun) oh man, my AVR runs hot man, let me add a fan, power conditioner, some speaker cable risers cause I'm sure my cables laying on the floor is restricting the flow of the minichlorians causing my AVR to run hot.:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So I screwed up publishing this article without it being completed last night. I added the following:
  1. THX Onyx portable headphone DAC
  2. Valencia Seating Tuscany
  3. Storm Audio ISP (review is uploaded and will publish this week)

Sorry, I thought I had the final draft of this before posting but Wayde had updates I didn't incorporate. Hit refresh in about 30 min and you will see the updates.
@gene So you feel asleep ;) at you computer no big deal Sir. God forbid if you ever decided to close up shop, We wouldn't have anywhere else to go. Who we gonna trust with finding the truth in audio. No other website can match what you bring to the game, matter of fact it's not even close. You know what they say, 2nd place is the first loser. :D

Mike

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Hi Gene

I need your advice. I read your review on the Paradigm Premiere series. They seem to offer a lot of bang for your buck.

I have the Paradigm Studio 20 v5 with a massive CC690 v5 center and Dipole surrounds. I'm using 2 SVS PB1000 Pros currently.

Would the Premiere 800 series be an upgrade over what i have now? Obviously the Studio line of speakers were discontinued about 4-5 years or would the Premiers by more of a sideways move?

Not sure if you have experience with the Paradigm Studios or not. Looking forward to your response. Keep up.the great work!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Gene

I need your advice. I read your review on the Paradigm Premiere series. They seem to offer a lot of bang for your buck.

I have the Paradigm Studio 20 v5 with a massive CC690 v5 center and Dipole surrounds. Would the Premiere series be an upgrade over the Studio line (obviously discontinued about 4-5 years) or a sideways move?

Looking forward to your response. Keep up.the great work!
Hit Gene up for a, One on One hour consultation!
Call into AH and schedule an appointment.

Last edited:
G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Hit Gene up for a, One on One hour consultation!
Call into AH and schedule an appointment.
I don't need an hour consultation, was hoping he might be able to shed some advice on the speaker. Wasn't aware there was a consultation service even available, but sadly I'm not going to pay $150 for a consultation.

Otherwise I'll just ask other members for their advice. I didn't know Genes advice came at a price, at least not when I used to post around here, but anyways.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As I asked over at ASR, I wonder if there is any planned liitigation against Panasonic by the AVR companies for not delivering proper functioning HDMI cards. I also wonder what steps the AVR companies will take to prevent something like this from happening again. After all, its the AVR manufacturers being called to task by ALL the forums and their members but Panasonic seems to be the root of these problems.

Gene, as far as poor measurements go on the Yamahas, is it simply poor implementation of good quality components or are the components themselves of poor quality?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis