Audioholics 2012 GTG Event: Live Demos, Meet & Greet, FREE Prizes Food & Drink

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
So? How does it sound when you turn it up to 11? ;)
Very, very nice.

It's hard, sometimes, when you are listening to a recording you are not familiar with to tell the difference between a problem with the speaker and a problem with the recording.

I spent hours in there. There were a couple of moments that hurt (and I cannot tell you if the problem was the speaker or the recording), there were a couple of moments on the cusp of "it sounds like the live instrument", and there was an awful lot of "I really like these speakers".

And Jim and his wife are great.

Also helped Emo unpack. Haven't gotten to hear any of their gear yet; but will again say "great guys".

Left because Gene's party was "by invite" and I was not invited. Will get up early to drive back in.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Very, very nice.

It's hard, sometimes, when you are listening to a recording you are not familiar with to tell the difference between a problem with the speaker and a problem with the recording.

I spent hours in there. There were a couple of moments that hurt (and I cannot tell you if the problem was the speaker or the recording), there were a couple of moments on the cusp of "it sounds like the live instrument", and there was an awful lot of "I really like these speakers".

Also helped Emo unpack. Haven't gotten to hear any of their gear yet; but will again say "great guys".

Left because Gene's party was "by invite" and I was not invited. Will get up early to drive back in.
Sorry it was a surprise birthday party for me with family and the sponsors of our event. Tomorrow is the show for everyone and lunch for registered attendees.

Thanks for helping the manufacturers set up.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
For the record: There was no emotion underscoring why I left and no need to apologize. I hope you had a wonderful party!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
American made AH T-shirt on.
Danish ate.
Ready to listen to some music.
Everyone has been very nice and even the loser has been being good...for once.

itschris

itschris

I'm awake. A shower, some coffee, some bacon (not necessarily in that order) and I'll be on my way. I may just walk over from the house... Who am I kidding? I'll make the 30 second drive.

Another dinner recommendation for those from out of town... Mystic Fish. It's our favorite restaurant and about 15 min from the event.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sooner or later, when you get the time, please tell us what Salk speakers you heard? I'd guess it was the SS8. The Salk Nation demands to know :D.
Yes they are :).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We here having great lunch. Too bad I didn't see many people I "know" from here

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently Jim Salk has the same speakers at AH in Tarpon Springs as he had at RMAF in Denver. Found this photo on AC:

The tall slim MTMs are the SuperCharged SongTowers, the heavier towers are the SoundScape 8, and the small standmounted monitors are presently unnamed but have ScanSpeak midwoofs and the same RAAL ribbon tweeter as the other two speakers

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We here having great lunch. Too bad I didn't see many people I "know" from here
They're probably all gathered together discussing what an absolute hunk William Shatner is in real life. :D

Wait till you meet Doug and then start buying him drinks but keep an eye on your wife.
He is a handsome devil. ;)

itschris

itschris

Sooner or later, when you get the time, please tell us what Salk speakers you heard? I'd guess it was the SS8. The Salk Nation demands to know :D.
Yes they are :).
Got a great pic from the Salk room. I'm not sure how to post it from mt ipad though. I'll tell you that those new bookshelf speakers were stunning. No joke.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
American made AH T-shirt on.
Danish ate.
Ready to listen to some music.
Everyone has been very nice and even the loser has been being good...for once.
Doug, It was great to see you and Major loser and wives for dinner and lunch Thursday & Friday.
To all, have a great time and have a beer for me.

Sorry we had to leave early due to the storm heading toward home. :(
The flight last night was packed with people heading back early.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Apparently Jim Salk has the same speakers at AH in Tarpon Springs as he had at RMAF in Denver. Found this photo on AC:

The tall slim MTMs are the SuperCharged SongTowers, the heavier towers are the SoundScape 8, and the small standmounted monitors are presently unnamed but have ScanSpeak midwoofs and the same RAAL ribbon tweeter as the other two speakers

Yes that what he had there.
They looked and sound very nice. I really liked the Sound Scape 8's.
The woodwork was incredible!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
[Major loose. 507;917564]They're probably all gathered together discussing what an absolute hunk William Shatner is in real life. :D

Wait till you meet Doug and then start buying him drinks but keep an eye on your wife.
He is a handsome devil. ;)[/QUOTE]

Okay, so I lucky and met Doug and Mrs Doug.
They are actually very nice folks.
Unfortunately Dougs were in rush to escape so we had only a short time to chat.

itschris

itschris

Rickster/Boredsys - I can't believe I missed you guys. I was ther in the am and for a couple hours this afternoon. Hell, I probably walked right by you guys! I was the striking stallion of a man...in case it jogs your memory.

Gene, Clint and everyone else... Thanks for a great event!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The Salks were some of the best speakers I've heard: regardless of price.

The bookshelves, though clearly limited, did amazingly well in 2.0 audio.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The Salks were some of the best speakers I've heard: regardless of price.

The bookshelves, though clearly limited, did amazingly well in 2.0 audio.
Sounds like the same setup they had at RMAF- those front ported stand mounted numbers were the same price as the SC ST's if I recall correctly.

Did the SS8's have the book matched veneer job? they were my favorite as I like the idea of running them without a sub. I really liked the song towers with the tube setup, but I felt they needed some bass reinforcement.
Cheers, Mac

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like the same setup they had at RMAF- those front ported stand mounted numbers were the same price as the SC ST's if I recall correctly.

Did the SS8's have the book matched veneer job? they were my favorite as I like the idea of running them without a sub. I really liked the song towers with the tube setup, but I felt they needed some bass reinforcement.
Cheers, Mac
Jim Salk was using the same three speakers he used at RMAF.

The bookshelves were a built-on-request set that he is using with the buyer's consent to gauge interest. They are not his least expensive speakers.

The Song Towers certainly did not extend as far as the SS8's. That it was noticeable does indeed mean it's something one would want to correct. But I cannot say shy of A/B, something I was very familiar with, or something very LF heavy, that I would have noticed otherwise.

If they were perfect: he wouldn't be able to sell anything more expensive :D

I probably should have taken them up on the offer and popped in something like "Right Round" by Flo Rida, because I am familiar with how it's bass should sound....

And while I'm mentioning it (I'm gonna sound like a fan-boy tonight I know); I'm impressed at how willing (nigh eager) he is to have people pop in their own CDs and control volume, position, and A/B to their heart's content.

I did listen to some familiar works (Dire Straits, for example) and was very pleased.

B

Broom1998

Audiophyte
Just wanted to say thanks, wished for a few more venders but the ones that came had some very nice setups, I could not stay long but I thank all the vendors. :D

F

FloridaBear

Audiophyte
Got a great pic from the Salk room. I'm not sure how to post it from mt ipad though. I'll tell you that those new bookshelf speakers were stunning. No joke.
I agree--sounded MUCH bigger than their size. The SS8's were really fantastic, well-rounded speakers. Nothing overly emphasized. The biggest differences between them and the SCSTs that I could hear was bass extension and imaging. The SS8's threw a bit wider soundstage, whereas the SCST's were more "pinpoint" in their imaging. Jim explained that this was due to the open baffle on the SS8's. Of course, the SCST's did not have the bass extension or power of the SS8's, as they just can't move nearly as much air. That's not to say they were lacking; just didn't have the same punch in the bottom couple octaves. Nothing a sub from the HSU room upstairs couldn't remedy ;-)

I think I may almost have preferred the midrange of the SongTowers--it seemed a little more forward and defined, but I did not hear enough A/B switches to make a solid comparison. Of course the high end was very similar as they both feature the RAAL.

I was drooling over the Emotiva gear as well--especially their 5x400 watt behemoth. I will likely end up with the 5x200 watt amp, as the former is overkill for my (future) small theater setup. If they can get their featured UMC-200 pre/pro and the XMC-1 released at some point, those will both be awesome. Not very impressed with the speakers in their room, but it was a difficult room, and I was ruined after the Salk room.

I was very impressed with the EMP demo--that's an incredible value. Their entire 5.1 setup was going for $1500 at the show. The mains had 6 active drivers--it was very impressive with both movies and music for that kind of money. Both of the Epson projectors I saw (one in the EMP room and one in the Emotiva room) were very, very nice. Did not get pricing info on those though.

I enjoyed the show and it was definitely worth the trip for me. Would definitely attend next year if it's in the area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis