Audioholics 2008 SOTU Show Report Wrap Up

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When thinking back on what we accomplished this year, I have to say it was the result of great team work. The Audioholics Staff lived up to their reputation from the registration process through set up and break-down of the event. Immense amount of coverage was accumulated just for our fans that weren’t able to attend. Check out our social functions, and cool Halloween costumes and also learn why our attendance figures weren't all we hoped for this year.

Discuss "Audioholics 2008 SOTU Show Report Wrap Up" here. Read the article.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks for posting this.It was a good time and I feel bad I missed it. I think next time people should have to put down a deposit, that way you all would not have spent so much money on food for people who didn't really care. That is very dissapointing to me that so many didn't show up even after they committed to you all. Very lame indeed. Thanks again and at least you all who were lucky enough to be there had a good time..:)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I hope you guys would move it back to Clearwater and on a weekend.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I had a great time. The staff and venders were awesome.

engtaz

H

HudMaster23

Audioholic Intern
Dang,i miss it this year!
But,i had some family members issues.
Do they any videos up on youtube?

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Definitely a wag of the finger to anybody who committed to come and then didn't show up without canceling.

I think the Thu/Fri scheduling was a mistake, but the economy and weather weren't helping attendance either. :(

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
thank you for you thoughts on the event. Its very disappointing to know it didn't work out as well as required and thta there won't be another anytime soon. Whatever it is, whatever the reasons, I feel very good about having attended and meeting you all for the very first time. I am promise you, I am a committed Audioholic and am determined to help make SOTU not become a memory.

In the spirit of Fellowship - I humbly offer my sword, my bow and my axe!

Now if only we could figure out where that ring went to??

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think next time people should have to put down a deposit, that way you all would not have spent so much money on food for people who didn't really care.
We tried to collect credit card info on most people that got free registration, but many of them simply didn't reply after we registered them. It was very difficult getting people to register as it was. It really blew my mind when one attendee came up to me not realizing that the 2 days of breakfast, dinner and appetizers he ate on us costed around $200 per person. So for over 80 people to simply not show up was not only a huge waste of food (which I hate doing), but needlessly added $16k worth of unnecessary cost to the event that I could have instead been saved for future trade show expenses or to better compensate staff or both.

Normally I am not one to publically whine about stuff, but this is one of those few occassions you will find me venting in the forums about. :mad:

I forgot to add this lovely experience to our event and just updated the article as follows:
Lunch for Staff and Sponsors? That was the idea. As an added bonus to our staff and sponsors, we provided two days of lunch exclusively for them. It worked out fine on the first day since we posted two staff members at the entrance to check badges. On the second day however, our staff guards weren't at their post during the first 10-15 minutes and by the time we entered the lunch room there were more people in there than we had at the whole show! Apparently many of our show attendees and their families ransacked the lunch room and depleted our food supply before most of our staff and sponsors had a chance to get theirs. This resulted in us ordering more food from the hotel which really killed our budget. As we quickly found out, it wasn't cheap to eat at the Dolphin nor were they too sympathetic of our dilemma.
Should we ever host an event like this again, it will likely be at another trade show like EHX or CEDIA and be more focused towards manufacturers/installers.

majorloser

majorloser

Well, the wife and I had a great time! :)

Thanks to our fabulous hosts

Unfortunately for those that couldn't come, they ended up being the real "Major Losers" :(

Last edited by a moderator:
engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the invitatation, I had a great time.

engtaz

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Normally I am not one to publically whine about stuff, but this is one of those few occassions you will find me venting in the forums about. :mad:
That's not so much a whine as it is a legitimate gripe. I don't know about anybody else but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Especially when you start talking about what you could have done with it.

This is the right place to vent. Taking it out on Tom is wrong. :D

Man, I hope my Tom Andry references are amusing to Tom Andry.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's not so much a whine as it is a legitimate gripe. I don't know about anybody else but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Especially when you start talking about what you could have done with it.

This is the right place to vent. Taking it out on Tom is wrong.

Thanks Alex. As I kid, I grew up with modest means with 4 older brothers and parents that worked their fingers to the bone to provide for us. One thing my parents instilled on us was to NOT be wasteful, especially with food. I hate seeing perfectly good food thrown away when it could at least feed the poor or even the hotel staff. :(

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
This is the right place to vent. Taking it out on Tom is wrong. :D

Every one makes me a little more Internet Famous every day. I'm hoping someday to become a verb. "Boy, that dude just pulled a Tom Andry!"

Of course I'm hoping that the above ends with the dude getting some from a supermodel rather than impaling himself on a Twinkie tower or other similar Darwin Award-worthy death.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Every one makes me a little more Internet Famous every day. I'm hoping someday to become a verb. "Boy, that dude just pulled a Tom Andry!"

Of course I'm hoping that the above ends with the dude getting some from a supermodel rather than impaling himself on a Twinkie tower or other similar Darwin Award-worthy death.
Cool. This also helps me escape devil boy status with the 'Thanks' score. :eek:
Just in case Joe is wrong. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
My wife and I had a great time, and really appreciated all the hard work that went into the SOTU event.
I'll bet the pre-planning was as much, if not more work, than the event itself.

I got to meet some people that I knew by screen name only. It was interesting to match a real person to their forum identity. (next time we should put screen names on our name tags)

It was a pleasure to meet Gene, Bertha, and Clint. The time went by so fast; I didn't spend as much time as I'd hoped, talking to everyone.
It was great to finally meet Majorloser, and Mrs. loser, and also TLS Guy.
Also, a shout out to Wayde and Alissa. We had a great time at the EPCOT food festival.

One of the highlights for me was, my wife bidding on and winning the Emotiva XPA-2!

Thanks again, for all the hard work. Count us in for the next one.

Rick

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
My wife and I had a great time, and really appreciated all the hard work that went into the SOTU event.
I'll bet the pre-planning was as much, if not more work, than the event itself.

I got to meet some people that I knew by screen name only. It was interesting to match a real person to their forum identity. (next time we should put screen names on our name tags)

It was a pleasure to meet Gene, Bertha, and Clint. The time went by so fast; I didn't spend as much time as I'd hoped, talking to everyone.
It was great to finally meet Majorloser, and Mrs. loser, and also TLS Guy.
Also, a shout out to Wayde and Alissa. We had a great time at the EPCOT food festival.

One of the highlights for me was, my wife bidding on and winning the Emotiva XPA-2!

Thanks again, for all the hard work. Count us in for the next one.

Rick
Thank you for coming Rick and we're glad you had fun and won!
:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis