audioengine 5 lowest volume setting still emits sound.

B

BongTumor

Audiophyte
Hello im noob when it comes to audio and i just bought my first pair of entry level "quality" speakers. Im no audiophile, but i do appreciate quality sound, i think the a5's fit my needs. It was between the swan's and the audioengine's but i went with engines because thats what i could find and test. They sound great but i have a couple questions.

1. Whenever i have my source volume all the way up, and i turn the speaker knob all the way to "0" I can still hear the music. The audioengine website faq says this is normal but eh, i kinda expect not to hear any sound coming out at that level. Im wondering if anyone elses pair does the same thing?

2. When i have them at really low volume my right speaker is the only one thats heard, but that goes away if i turn it up a notch so im not concerned about that.

3. Im new to these type of speakers, everything ive owned in the past has been crappy bundled in speakers or tv speakers so im still getting use to hearing things. These sound much clearer, tbh i was expecting alot of bass (alot as in excessive amounts, which muds out everything.) lol that is what i thought was meant by good sound, but after spending a couple days with the a5's ive come to prefer this sound to the boomy bass from logitechs and whatnot lol. At first i thought my tweeter was broken but now im not so sure.I think one of my speakers (the left one) has a lower volume than the other. Im not sure if theres any way to test, but it seems like this speaker also has a lower volume tweeter, this speaker is the same one that you cannot hear at low volume. Could this have anything to do with this? Any good ways to test this out? ive tried cupping it and moving my hand, as well as putting a paper tube and my ear to the other end, but i feel like my mind is either playing tricks on me, or it really is alot quieter than the other speaker's.

ANy suggestions are welcome, sorry for the wall of text.

B

bradyb

Audiophyte
Hi BongTumor,
It's not uncommon for dual analog amplifiers to be slightly unbalanced at lower volume levels so try setting your A5's at around 12:00-2:00 and see if that helps. Bottom line, if you're not happy with these contact Audioengine support again for an exchange. They will take care of you (and yes, I do work for the company).

Cheers,
Brady

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thats good to know that there is good customer support with Audioengine.....I would send them back myself and get a new pair.If something isnt right I send it back period! Just sayin.......

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Jeff the Mod has a pair of these that he reviewed and still owns. I'll track him down and ask him to let you know how his behave. He loves them BTW. I heard them and was really impressed too. Hang tight for a bit til he gets here.

B

BongTumor

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Well tbh i have no clue if this is a real issue lol, Like i said im not a pro at this stuff, i just appreciate good sound but im not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or if something sounds slightly off lol. I can still exchange them at the store i purchased them at, im wondering if i should just take em down, they should take them back for an exchange no questions, i would think. Just to be safer than sorry but ill see what Jeff says. They do sound great though!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bradyb is absolutely right about the dual analog gang level control. It's also not uncommon for internal amplifiers to emit slight noise at any level of output. It's just something you'll have to live with. If the noise is not audible when listening to music I wouldn't be concerned with it. It is only because you are sitting right next to them that you hear the noise, even with the level turned all the way down.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Well tbh i have no clue if this is a real issue lol, Like i said im not a pro at this stuff, i just appreciate good sound but im not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or if something sounds slightly off lol. I can still exchange them at the store i purchased them at, im wondering if i should just take em down, they should take them back for an exchange no questions, i would think. Just to be safer than sorry but ill see what Jeff says. They do sound great though!
Mine don't do what you describe with the source volume all the way up (mac book) but your source volume may be stronger than mine. However, my volume knob does do what yours does and that is not uncommon. I also have the first generation A5's as well. One speaker may be louder than the other but the only way to know would be to measure it with a tone and an SPL meter; the source could be causing that though. The tweeters should be identical on both speakers.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Exchange them.

Or use the pause button to pause the music, when you don't want to hear any music at all.

B

buzzy

Audioholic Intern
Try it with some other sources and see if it still happens.

Not the problem you mention but - Don't turn a source volume all the way up, it will almost always distort.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis