L

lario

Junior Audioholic
Just a basic question...I hope. Would the connection or choice of audio cable affect the synchronization of dialogue and physical "mouth movement"? Basically, is it just bad editing or is there a correlation? In some and most recently my purchase of the revised "The good, the bad, and the ugly" I notice a definite "lip synching effect" wherein the mouthing of the words do not match lip movement. Any clarification would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
To answer your question...

lario said:
Would the connection or choice of audio cable affect the synchronization of dialogue and physical "mouth movement"?
No.

I have heard about this on some DVD players byt have never experienced it myself* but hopefully others will have some input. Plainly put, it ain't the interconnect.

*I D0 notice this when watching old B&W Japanese monster movies but I think this is a totally different situation. ;)

U

Unregistered

What kind of tv are you using? If you have a digital tv like an LCD rear projection or DLP, that could be the cause. Those tvs have to process the signal, for example to scale it to its native resolution, and that takes time and can lead to lip-sync issues. Some higher end receivers are starting to include lip-sync delays to compensate for this (slows the audio down to match the video because the video processing delays the video).

While its possible that some DVD players also introduce delays, that is rarely the case. Being an old movie, its entirely possible that in this case it actually is the mixing and mastering of the disc that causes the problem.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
lario said:
Just a basic question...I hope. Would the connection or choice of audio cable affect the synchronization of dialogue and physical "mouth movement"? Basically, is it just bad editing or is there a correlation? In some and most recently my purchase of the revised "The good, the bad, and the ugly" I notice a definite "lip synching effect" wherein the mouthing of the words do not match lip movement. Any clarification would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

With the inputs posted in mind, why not take your DVD to a friends house with a different TV if that may be an issue for you or into a store and see if it is on the DVD or not.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Most of Sergio Leone's movies are dubbed into english. Only the dialog from some of the actors is in english. On TV I regularly notice a discrepancy between lip movement and the sound. I also see it in movies although not as frequently. I think in many cases it is just sloppy work somewhere along the production/broadcast chain. That includes the TV stations. The audio connection type or cable at your end is not the culprit.:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis