C

craigm

Audiophyte
I'm looking for a piece of kit and am completely stuck trying to find it.

I'm moving into a new house next month and want to be able to have speakers spread around the house and be able to control which are turned on and when. I obviously don't want them all on at once but be able to select which are turned on. They should all operate independantly.

I'm also going to build a PC into a music server, load all my music onto this and in conjunction with a Squeezebox (or similar) and my wireless network, drive the tunez through my stereo then through this bit of kit, whatever it should be.

Perhaps I am being a bit dum but I can't even think what to type into Google to try and find some sites that might point me in the right direction.

Any websites you can point me in the direction of or any help you can give will be appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"They should all operate independantly"

Depending on what this means, the answer is either very simple or a simple "no way".

They sell constant impedance switchboxes that will allow the use of speakers in several rooms at the same time. You could augment this with level controls in each room. Of course, the same thing would be playing in each room.

Now, if you mean each room should be able to play something different, well, that's a whole 'nuther ball game.

C

craigm

Audiophyte
More Info

I don't mind if the same music is playing in every room as long as I can switch rooms on / off independantly...

C

craigm

Audiophyte
URL Didn't Work

Markw - the URL takes me to the website but the query has expired. Can you tell me what you did a search for on the site?

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
Craig,

I believe markw had searched out a speaker selector. If you put "speaker selector" into the search, you will see a bunch of different options. One question though? How many sets of speakers are you planning on using? What amplifier or receiver are you going to use to play them? How many pairs will be on at the same time? If you are going to have a lot of pairs on at the same time, you can't just use a stereo to drive them, as it won't have enough power. You will need to go to multiple amplifiers, or a multi channel amplifier.

Mark Duncan

N

nigeljkuk

Audiophyte
brainy more like

:) Read your thread , seems to me youre brainy not daft at all reading you obviously know quite a bit unlike me who knows how to set up basic hi fi no probs but cant fathom out how to connect a subwoofer , Well speaker switching provided I havent misunderstood you totally , is relatively straightforward , One firm I know of which is pretty good but pricey for all manner of audio vid gear is Lektropaks they sell all manner of switching gear scart units , etc try them you should be able to get a unit to switch your source around the house, ive just started listing my mp3s which i have done some of my old vinyl about 19gb worth soon will need a bigger drive! kinda gave up on that at moment anyways good luck

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis