Audio Interface to Receiver to Headphone Amp

• Thread starter TheloniousEllington
  • Start date
T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,

I've been researching for a while now and seem to be confused about a set up with my Yamaha aventage 1060 receiver. I am going to be recording audio soon and am trying to figure out which cables to buy for my setup. I have a UA apollo twin x audio interface, an RNHP neve headphone amp and my receiver. What I want to do is be able to listen to my playbacks on my recording through my audio interface through my headphone amp (for initial mix) as well as through my speakers on my receiver. I also want to hear my CD player/turntable through my headphone amp as well, which is connected in audio1/2 in my receiver.

Would I be able to send the line out of my audio interface into the audio 3 in my receiver and then use the zone 2 out to my headphone amp to achieve this? I've heard not to use the pre out to a headphone amp. I'm also confused about the zone 2. Say that it works for my headphone amp, but would I have to adjust something to prevent my speakers from playing while the zone 2 is playing through my headphone amp?

Any help would be amazing. I really appreciate any advice or instruction. Thank you!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I've been researching for a while now and seem to be confused about a set up with my Yamaha aventage 1060 receiver. I am going to be recording audio soon and am trying to figure out which cables to buy for my setup. I have a UA apollo twin x audio interface, an RNHP neve headphone amp and my receiver. What I want to do is be able to listen to my playbacks on my recording through my audio interface through my headphone amp (for initial mix) as well as through my speakers on my receiver. I also want to hear my CD player/turntable through my headphone amp as well, which is connected in audio1/2 in my receiver.

Would I be able to send the line out of my audio interface into the audio 3 in my receiver and then use the zone 2 out to my headphone amp to achieve this? I've heard not to use the pre out to a headphone amp. I'm also confused about the zone 2. Say that it works for my headphone amp, but would I have to adjust something to prevent my speakers from playing while the zone 2 is playing through my headphone amp?

Any help would be amazing. I really appreciate any advice or instruction. Thank you!
What are you recording? Usually you monitor from headphones from the headphone output on the mixer, and listen to the speakers from the amp. Normally you connect your amp to the recording device, so you can seamlessly switch from live to play back.

That is the usual way to go about things. So I'm not sure why you are trying to do this. If you are into recording, then usually a mixer is the heart of operations. Unless we know what you are recording, with what, and for what purpose, I don't think we can help you. I will say this, when it comes to making recordings, there is the pro way, usually the correct way, and the "Mickey Mouse," way which is almost always the wrong way. Among amateurs "Mickey Mouse" methods abound.

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
What are you recording? Usually you monitor from headphones from the headphone output on the mixer, and listen to the speakers from the amp. Normally you connect your amp to the recording device, so you can seamlessly switch from live to play back.

That is the usual way to go about things. So I'm not sure why you are trying to do this. If you are into recording, then usually a mixer is the heart of operations. Unless we know what you are recording, with what, and for what purpose, I don't think we can help you. I will say this, when it comes to making recordings, there is the pro way, usually the correct way, and the "Mickey Mouse," way which is almost always the wrong way. Among amateurs "Mickey Mouse" methods abound.
Thank you for your reply. I am new to recording on my own, though I've recorded in several studios. I just bought a mic, tube mic preamp, interface, headphones/headphone amp for tracking/initial mixing and am waiting for my imac to come in the mail in the next few weeks to start. I'll be recording one take at a time, mainly solo material I've been writing for years; folk/blues/rock/ect... My speakers are passive. This is why my speakers are connected to the receiver. I do want to monitor my recordings with my headphones and listen to playback, being able to switch between headphones and speakers through my receiver/amp.

So, what you are saying is that the interface would connect to the mixer, then the mixer is the source to connect my receiver/amp/speakers and my headphone amp? When you say the recording device, would that be the interface, in which case I can use to connect to my receiver/amp? If I could use my interface as the connector to both my headphones and speakers, that's what I would like to do until I can save a bit more for more gear. I think you're saying a mixer would be best to do all of this, but if I can make what I have work for right now, that would be helpful. Thank you again for your time and help. I do appreciate it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your reply. I am new to recording on my own, though I've recorded in several studios. I just bought a mic, tube mic preamp, interface, headphones/headphone amp for tracking/initial mixing and am waiting for my imac to come in the mail in the next few weeks to start. I'll be recording one take at a time, mainly solo material I've been writing for years; folk/blues/rock/ect... My speakers are passive. This is why my speakers are connected to the receiver. I do want to monitor my recordings with my headphones and listen to playback, being able to switch between headphones and speakers through my receiver/amp.

So, what you are saying is that the interface would connect to the mixer, then the mixer is the source to connect my receiver/amp/speakers and my headphone amp? When you say the recording device, would that be the interface, in which case I can use to connect to my receiver/amp? If I could use my interface as the connector to both my headphones and speakers, that's what I would like to do until I can save a bit more for more gear. I think you're saying a mixer would be best to do all of this, but if I can make what I have work for right now, that would be helpful. Thank you again for your time and help. I do appreciate it.
You have gone about this awkwardly.

What you should have to make this handy, is a small mixer DAC that has the preamp. There s nothing special about tubes, they are actually a nuisance.

So for your purposes what you need is a little mixer DAC, that also contains mic preamps. So you plug your mics into this. This will connect to your receiver and your imac recording software. That mixer/DAC will have a headphone output. I'm not familiar with imac, but I have a friend that uses it. I use WaveLab, and an RME 4 mic channel mixer DAC, that also has a 16 channel mixer connected to it if I need more inputs. This also has line and optical inputs as well. The mixer DAC will connect to your receiver preferably via optical interface. So the mixer/DAC can monitor live and send it to your headphones, or allow you to play back from your imac recording. It will also allow you to playback your recording through your phones or receiver.

To really make it handy, then you should have a large monitor screen so you can see your mixer screen and your recording/playback software screen at the same time. This last point is actually quite important.

Proper set up is vital, otherwise you will get in a terrible mess and not produce anything worth listening to.

That is the way it is done. If you don't have it handy like that you will get in a terrible mess and not get pro results.

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
A lot of Audio Interfaces have diagrams on recommended hookups for various uses. I’ll include on that I found available on native instruments (which I use among others, and not that exact model). Scroll down to the Example Setup section and go through their examples to see what’s common or different and what applies to your setup.

While all of these assume active speakers (which I personally use and recommend for studio use), feel free to add your amp just before the speakers. But keep it limited to that, don’t overcomplicate the setup.
I personally have both active and passive (via a simple 2-ch amp) but only use the active ones while at the computer, so the amp just takes rack space :)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis