Audio Info for Nvidia Shield TV Pro

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I have looked & looked for an answer to the question of what is the Audio resolution out for the Shield TV?
I go to the Nvidia website and is says 24bit/192kHz. Then I go to the forums, and they say the audio out is 16bit/98kHz due to down sampling.

This is why I ask; I have a lot of digitized music in the formats DSD, Flac, and WAV stored on a USB flash drive. I plug my flash drive into the USB port of the Shield TV and cue up some 24bit/192khz music. The Shield TV does what it does and sends it out via HDMI to my Anthem MRX 720 AVR.

This is what Nvidia says:

The question: I'm I listening to 24bit/192khz or 16bit/98khz ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Can you tell the difference in general? I want to say @Trebdp83 and @panteragstk have experience with this player....
I'll have to wait until I get my new speakers, but since you broached the subject, I guess I'll have to respond.

Does it matter, I paid $200.00 for the item because I needed something to play my music files and I expect it to perform as advertised.

I may hear it or not, I may believe I hear or not, in the end does it make a différance?

There are many folks that ridicule and make fun of people who calm to hear or experience something that they don't agree with. To me, if you believe in god (not to get religious) or you believe you hear something; well good for you ! If you want to spend ridiculous amounts of money of something that is your right it's your money and if it makes you feel better or hear something; good.

I don't believe marketing hype or claims, I think I spend my money wisely, but if I believe I hear something, I hear it and I don't have to convince others. In the end, I can believe they don't hear it, but I can also believe that they believe they hear it :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to wait until I get my new speakers, but since you broached the subject, I guess I'll have to respond.

Does it matter, I paid $200.00 for the item because I needed something to play my music files and I expect it to perform as advertised.

I may hear it or not, I may believe I hear or not, in the end does it make a différance?

There are many folks that ridicule and make fun of people who calm to hear or experience something that they don't agree with. To me, if you believe in god (not to get religious) or you believe you hear something; well good for you ! If you want to spend ridiculous amounts of money of something that is your right it's your money and if it makes you feel better or hear something; good.

I don't believe marketing hype or claims, I think I spend my money wisely, but if I believe I hear something, I hear it and I don't have to convince others. In the end, I can believe they don't hear it, but I can also believe that they believe they hear it :)
Just askin'. For me hi-res music isn't very important nor can I particularly hear any differences in one (unless it's a particularly better master to begin with). I can understand wanting to get the whole bit depth and sampling frequency out of your stuff, tho, just some gear will resample like you've noted. AVRs do it for processing, too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Android TV is(was) limited to 16/48 last time I checked. There is a new option to not resample audio, but I don't have an AVR that tells me what sample rate it's getting.

Or at least I don't remember if that shows on the OSD anywhere.

Let me do some testing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tested a 24/192 file I have and my AVR shows that is the bit depth/sample rate it's being given.

So, depending on the app, it works just fine. From what I've read you'll need the Android 11 update to take advantage since it did away with the "everything is 16/48" nonsense.

Plex app still down-samples everything (which isn't unexpected), but Kodi doesn't.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
From what I gather, if the Shield detects that the AVR can handle the original source material, it will pass-through via HDMI, otherwise it will decode for codecs that it is licensed to handle. Nice little post here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/297989/guide-audio-pass-through-hdmi-arc-physical-s/
Yes, but now you can tell the shield what your AVR does and doesn't support. They're taking a similar approach that Kodi does when it comes to telling it what your system is capable of. I like it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis