Audio Gear Cleaning

Audioholic
What is everyone using to clean their audio gear (specifically, faceplates) of fingerprints and general grime? I'm a'feart of using Windex or 409.

- Thanks

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Usually use a clean microfiber cloth on any equipment. If need more I have a spray my optometrist gave me for cleaning eyeglasses. Put a couple of spays on the cloth and wipe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rarely need to (remotes/internet control are very nice) but maybe a damp cloth....

Audioholic
I need something a bit stronger than a damp cloth, especially for vintage silver face-plated gear that has a bit of grime on the switches/knobs and whatnot. I'll look around and see if I have any of that optometrist spray.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any mild cleaner should do it, even dish soap (Dawn is a great degreaser). Just need an appropriate amount. While you're at it with the externals, might also think about cleaning the internals with something like an appropriate De-Oxit product.

Audioholic
@lovinthehd: Thanks. I just gave my tuner the DeoxIT treatment yesterday. All my other gear has been cleaned and/or serviced. Just need to clean the grime off the tuner & wipe down a CD deck.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have used the “Windex Electronics” cleaner with good success. I spray a small amount on a microfiber cloth and wipe. Do not spray directly on components. Removes finger prints nicely and doesn’t streak.
It seems a bit pricey for what is probably no more than mild cleaners you can get elsewhere for less, but it does work. After 5 yrs or so of use, I have not seen any ill affects or fading on black faceplates. Do not use on flat screens!

Disclaimer: This has been my experience, yours may vary.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Windex is nothing but simple detergent and methanol, diluted in water. And, of course, that blue dye. If you spray it on a cleaning cloth, I don't see how it could harm anything. It does the job on grimy finger prints, but is mild enough to not harm finishes on products.

Formula 409 contained much harsher detergents and solvents. As originally made, it was a commercial solvent and degreaser meant for industries with particularly difficult cleaning problems. The brand name still exists, but that original 409 might not be sold anymore.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I have used the “Windex Electronics” cleaner with good success. I spray a small amount on a microfiber cloth and wipe. Do not spray directly on components. Removes finger prints nicely and doesn’t streak.
It seems a bit pricey for what is probably no more than mild cleaners you can get elsewhere for less, but it does work. After 5 yrs or so of use, I have not seen any ill affects or fading on black faceplates. Do not use on flat screens!

Disclaimer: This has been my experience, yours may vary.
JohnnieB Will look for the windex electronics cleaner and give it a try thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis