R

RMK!

This may sound like sour grapes and audio envy but I heard the most expensive system I have ever heard this weekend. The total coast for the 5.1 systems electronics, speakers, cables (this person spent $20K on cables) and room treatments was approximately $200K. It sounded very good and maybe a bit better than my setup but I did not see, or more importantly hear 10X value there. It seems in this hobby that once you get past a certain point with electronics and speakers, the incremental gains are very slight. We are not talking the difference like say between a Ferrari and a Mustang. As nice as it might be to have $50K mono blocks and $60K mains these really do not sound significantly better than my gear at 10% of the cost. I know there are those of you who have good sounding systems than coast a fraction of what mine did. Very interesting that in this hobby, the price performance gap narrows as you go up in price.

Of course if you can afford it, why not. It was really beautiful equipment and the detail and finish work was incredible but the sound was not able to keep up with the look and price tag.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Point of diminishing returns - it's certainly not unique to just this hobby!!

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just proves that the room contributes the most to what is heard.

Everyone knows it
Everyone believes it
Virtually everyone ignores it.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
Part of the reason maybe that much source material (music, films, etc.) is mixed with the intention of being playable and enjoyable on inexpensive devices, like a cheap stereo.

One thing I think separates the very top-end from normal hi-fi gear is high quality bass and sub-bass reproduction. I read a review a little while back for a top-end Marantz A/V reciever. The reviewer was trying out Star Wars III and commenting on the extraordinarily high volumes - the THX logo hit something like 113 dB SPL! That review made me regret not having seeing episode III at a good cinema.

majorloser

majorloser

hidog1 said:
...spent $20K on cables...room treatments was approximately $200K...$50K mono blocks and $60K mains....my gear at 10% of the cost
I hate you both. In your case, only 10% as much. :D

R

RMK!

tbewick said:
Part of the reason maybe that much source material (music, films, etc.) is mixed with the intention of being playable and enjoyable on inexpensive devices, like a cheap stereo.

One thing I think separates the very top-end from normal hi-fi gear is high quality bass and sub-bass reproduction. I read a review a little while back for a top-end Marantz A/V reciever. The reviewer was trying out Star Wars III and commenting on the extraordinarily high volumes - the THX logo hit something like 113 dB SPL! That review made me regret not having seeing episode III at a good cinema.
Good comments, I was listening to SACD material on the top-end system and the biggest difference (relative to my mid-fi components) was in the bass reproduction. I also agree with Robbie the the room can play a big part.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
tbewick said:
One thing I think separates the very top-end from normal hi-fi gear is high quality bass and sub-bass reproduction
.....agreed.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mulester7 said:
.....agreed.....
If theres anything you NEED to focus on Mule (Not saying you do) Its NOT Bass. :)

SheepStar

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Within the paradigm of maximum power/all solid state stuff I'll agree. Change attitudes and it's a whole different ballgame.

Again, I encourage others to listen to other ways of making sound, not just receivers and low-efficiency speakers.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

miklorsmith said:
Again, I encourage others to listen to other ways of making sound, not just receivers and low-efficiency speakers.
Not alot of tube-based 5.1 pre-amps on the market, and none in the BestBuys/Circuit Citys of the world (where 99% of audio consumers shop).

majorloser

majorloser

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Not alot of tube-based 5.1 pre-amps on the market, and none in the BestBuys/Circuit Citys of the world (where 99% of audio consumers shop).
If tubes were the greatest thing since sliced bread I still wouldn't want to deal with them. There is plenty of solid state stuff that sounds just fine to me.

Next thing you'll want me to have blue analog meters on the front :D

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
There are many ways to get to the end, not all of which require tubes or receivers. You could meld a music 2-channel system and a MC HT system pretty easily.

Why would anyone want to pursue other directions? To know, and put speculation to rest.

The topic was whether "all this money" makes THAT much of a difference. My point was merely that throwing more money after the same idea might not, but going other directions could, often for no more money.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
majorloser said:
I hate you both. In your case, only 10% as much. :D
I hate you all. I simply have my TV going into my ancient stereo receiver. :)

N

naisphoo

Banned
Shadow_Ferret said:
I hate you all. I simply have my TV going into my ancient stereo receiver. :)
Yep me too i hate you all as I'm going broke for this hobby(?). And I'm not rich. And my wife really is unhappy about it. I'm afraid someday she might say "make your pick, your speakers and tv and receiver or me...":eek:

R

RMK!

naisphoo said:
Yep me too i hate you all as I'm going broke for this hobby(?). And I'm not rich. And my wife really is unhappy about it. I'm afraid someday she might say "make your pick, your speakers and tv and receiver or me...":eek:
That should be an easy decision:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
naisphoo said:
3 things, or 1. Seems straight forward to me :rolleyes:

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Tell you what, if you take my wife I'll throw in a TV, some speakers and a reciever for free!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
That percentage of people have little to no clue though...and they are satisfied with that. They're SHEEP (no offense Sheep :p ) That's why they shop at stores like that.

Tell you what, if you take my wife I'll throw in a TV, some speakers and a reciever for free!
If you don't wan't her, I sure as heck don't...:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis