Audio Dropouts Over HDMI Again!

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

Running a Denon 3500H and 4K UHD Sony TV and eARC. No issue for months, but audio has become pretty unstable. Takes switching sources, etc to get it back. I’m thinking the HDMI cable is at fault again. Is there a decent reasonably priced 10ft cable you all recommend? Reasonable, being around $50 or less? Is it better just to go fiber optic and forget HDMI? Thanks!

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
AT 10', you really can't do any better than a Certified High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label for authenticity). ARC issues, especially at that distance, can be cause by a CEC incompatibility. Even though eARC is not supposed to be as intimately associated with eARC as ARC was in the past, it can still cause issues. Have you recently updated the Sony or the Denon around the time that you started having issues? The popularity of Denon receivers has certainly increased in the last 6 months or so because most of the eARC issues I've seen posted have the Denon receiver as a common component. I'm not saying that the Denon is the cause but it is a common factor.

Oh, and a fiber optic cable (more specifically a hybrid fiber cable) is an HDMI cable. They both use the same type of connector. This is not to be confused with an optical audio cable, which is different.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Otto. Would a 6ft cable possibly solve the issue? That’s going to be a tight run, but I may be able to make it work.

Should I just run an optical cable instead? Would I lose anything if I just let HDMI do video and optical, audio like the old days?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Otto. Would a 6ft cable possibly solve the issue? That’s going to be a tight run, but I may be able to make it work.

Should I just run an optical cable instead? Would I lose anything if I just let HDMI do video and optical, audio like the old days?
6' is well within the certification range for passive cables (up to 25') but you do want to give yourself some slack at the source and sink end so you are not putting any undue stress on the HDMI input/output.

You need to be clear on what you mean by an optical cable. When I use the term optical cable I'm usually referring to toslink, which is an audio-only optical cable and has an optical connector, which is different from HDMI, USB, RCA, etc. There are fiber only cables but I don't know how wide-spread those are in use for consumer home theater systems. A hybrid fiber cable is what is best for long runs. A hybrid fiber cable is basically the best of both worlds, copper only and optical fiber. Those cables consist of glass fiber optical cores surrounded by solid copper wiring. They work extremely well for runs over about 20'. At 10' or less I'd try a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified) because they are a lot cheaper than hybrid fiber and are certified to meet all HDMI 2.0 option sets. Hybrid fiber cables are active, in that they draw some power from the source and sink end. Unfortunately, HDMI.org does not allow at this point in time for active cables, any kind, to be certified like they do for passive, copper-only cables. HDMI 2.0 is the current finalized specification so if HDMI 2.1 is something you're concerned with I wouldn't worry about that.

Keep in mind that the cable is just the data path. It just carries the signal from the source to the sink. It's the HDMI chipsets at either end of the chain that determine what you can see/hear, not the cable. Try a Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable first, being mindful of bend radius and see how that works. If you still have issues, then you need to look at your hardware (any recent updates, are you using CEC, etc).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just don't use any ARC. I go source HDMI out to my avr in, then HDMI out from my avr to the tv. I cut ARC completely out of the equation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is the order of power on for the components?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
That sounds like you're using CEC, which as I indicated, may be your issue.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
That sounds like you're using CEC, which as I indicated, may be your issue.
I guess I’m not sure what this is. I don’t see any thing like that. Would that be A/V Sync to lock the audio timing and video together?

malaise, not sure about updates. They are all set to auto by default.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI CEC is often called HDMI Control like in the Denon (in the setup video menu under hdmi setup). In some units it has a "brand" name.....not sure what Sony calls it, think it's Bravia Sync?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
I guess I’m not sure what this is. I don’t see any thing like that. Would that be A/V Sync to lock the audio timing and video together?

malaise, not sure about updates. They are all set to auto by default.
Sorry. I should've been a bit more specific but I see that @lovinthehd cleared it up a bit. CEC is Consumer Electronic Control and allows you to use one remote to control HDMI connected devices. Quite often ARC is associated with CEC and if there are issues with CEC (which there are) they can affect ARC. As mentioned, CEC (HDMI Control) has different names depending on the mfr. Sony's is Bravia Sync or Bravia Link, LG is Simplink, Samsung is Anynet+, Denon is CEC or HDMI Control, etc.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Are you entrenched in using the Smart applications that are built into your Sony TV?

If not, why not get an external Smart device like an AppleTV 4K, or a Roku? These boxes tend to be extremely reliable in their operation and provide a direct HDMI connection to your AV receiver without the hassles of HDMI and ARC, and all that goes with it.

If I were to use a different HDMI cable, I would be user to get a HDMI Premium Certified 4K cable (18Gb/s rated).
If you can make it work at 8' in length, I have personally used the Monoprice cables without issue...

It'll run you all of 5 bucks. Get a few of them so you have a way to hook up external products in the future like a Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player and that Roku or Amazon TV product.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
BMXTRIX, That's a real rum with my wife. She's finally in her perfect world with one remote. When I bought this TV, that was a real factor. Previously we had a remote for everything and she could never figure out which one, so taking that away may be worse than the audio dropout issue. Going with a Sony TV was also based on the fast and familiar interface, or I may have gone a different direction!

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
BMXTRIX, That's a real rum with my wife. She's finally in her perfect world with one remote. When I bought this TV, that was a real factor. Previously we had a remote for everything and she could never figure out which one, so taking that away may be worse than the audio dropout issue. Going with a Sony TV was also based on the fast and familiar interface, or I may have gone a different direction!
I don't need ARC/CEC so it's disabled on all of my HDMI connected devices. I use an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for cable tv audio, which is 5.1 only. All streaming is done thru an ATV4k which connects to the receiver first with just the video going to the tv. For single remote control in lieu of CEC, I use a Harmony remote to control both of my home theater systems (different rooms and different Harmony remotes).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How does she like the way that one remote hookup does for the audio..?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis