Audio clicks and pops on video capture

T

tigger

Audiophyte
I am trying to do video capture via VCR through S-video cable and audio analog cables (red/white) to PC.
I have been struggling with this for a while as the audio is clicking and popping frequently (but NOT at regular intervals).

I have tried everything I can think of from the computer end (replacing capture card, drivers and such), so I started looking at it again from the standpoint that maybe it is an external problem. When both VCR and computer are powered up, the AC voltage across the ground (i.e. outer part of connecter) points on the composites is 38VAC, which seems very high to me. Of course, when connected, they will be at the same potential via the cables.

I've also started considering this possibility since when connecting via the UHF/VHF out on the VCR to the capture card, there are no audio problems.

I've tried different outlets in the house, thinking it may be a grounding/polarity problem, with the same results. I've also connected the DVD player, with the same results as the VCR. I've tried different cables, etc. etc.

Do you have any thoughts on this? I would like to get this working via S-video and analog audio since I have a lot of old family videos to transfer and I want the best quality possible.

T

tigger

Audiophyte
Is this the wrong forum for this topic? I'm hoping that one of you audio experts out there can help:)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've never used video capture to a PC, but I do record audio and most of the time clicks and pops are the result of the PC not being able to keep up with the sample rate. This can be caused by any number of things: hard drive badly fragmented, insufficient memory, too many other applications running in the background that are also hitting the hard drive, etc.

It would be helpful if you list the specs of the PC (CPU, memory, hard drive type and size, operating system, etc). Video capture is far more demanding than audio and the s-video has to be converted by the card to digital video (either DV or some flavor of MPEG) and that can be processor intensive.

T

tigger

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. I'm beginning to think the same thing you are, but I've been confused by the fact that capture works fine on the coax (UHF/RHF) input via cable signal or VCR signal and tuning the tuner on the capture card to 3, but it does not work on the composites (very strange).

I've replaced the capture card (same model) with the same results.

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Specs
HP M1160N Media Center PC
Athlon 64 3400+
512 MB RAM
200 GB Ultra DMA IDE Hard Drive
On-Board sound Realtek AC97
(I think that's the relevant info... if you need anything else, please let me know).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis