audio CD sound quality

G

gamman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Is audio CD sound quality better on a dedicated CD player like (Marantz CD6000) as opposed to a good DVD player (Toshiba SD-K320E).

Could sombody help me out
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>In my experience good quality CDP have always had better sound quality than DVD players in general. However the newer SACD/DVD players do have very good quality sound.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Most of the audible differences between CD/DVD players playing back Redbook CD become moot if you use the digital outputs and let your high end Receiver/Pre/Pro do the D/A conversion.  If you don't plan on using the analog outputs of your CD/DVD player, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I agree with Yamahaluver, many of the new SACD/DVD-A players offer excellent fidelity via their analog outputs, comparible to dedicated CD players at the same price and sometimes even higher. &nbsp;I suspect conventional CD players will be a thing of the past in a few years.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
gene : <font color='#000000'>Most of the audible differences between CD/DVD players playing back Redbook CD become moot if you use the digital outputs and let your high end Receiver/Pre/Pro do the D/A conversion.  If you don't plan on using the analog outputs of your CD/DVD player, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Gene is absolutely correct about the on board D/A issue. Since most of us are using HT receivers I wonder why the manufacturers are not making high quality D/A less DVD/SACD/CD transports with good quality video section. The money they save by not incorporating the D/A can be used for that.

For instance I am aiming to buy Yamaha's &nbsp;latest DVD/SACD player model 2300. It is a nice player but it incorporates on board high quality D/A with DTS conversion. Dolby and DTS conversion on players is pretty much useless as you wont be buying seperate amps to run your HT. Most mid range HT have very decent on board D/A so this redundancy just hurts us consumer's pockets. In my case the on board D/A on my DSP-AZ1 is equal to if not better than the one on the DVD/SACD player. I don't think I will ever have any use for attaching the analog out from my DVD/CDP to the DSP-AZ1. Most HT receivers digitize their inputs so in this case one is going the Digital&gt;Analog&gt;Digital&gt;Analog route. What a hash................</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The real keys in getting quality sound are twofold;

1) It is important to have a laser pickup in the player optimized for the track-width of the pits burned into the CD.  The width of the DVD pits is different and uses a laser with a different track-width.  This means a quality player needs more than one laser pickup, i.e. one for CD and one for DVD.

2) The customized filter algorithms have much more to do with the sound of the digital-to-analog conversion than the actual DAC itself.  This is what all the high-end Wadia, dcs, etc. spend their time optimizing.  So the best sound can be had from a player that also minimizes jitter.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis