N

Nonphysical

Audiophyte
Greetings Everyone,

I recently discovered this site and believed my inquiry would be suitable here. I was wondering by any chance if anyone could please assist me, my sister is currently being harnessed by her neighbor, they live in an normal suburb and none of the houses are connected - there is actually an 20 feet space between each one. I am currently attempting to assist with her with this concern, she is experiencing the following issues:

Sound sometimes 'feels' directional
Use different level of frequencies from low to high
The sound has no issue with distance and seems to travel through walls easily enough
Does anyone think that this could be an speaker, subwoof or amplifier - maybe something portable?

Any advice would be greatly apprenticed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean she is being harassed by her neighbor? Harnessing would be pretty unusual. Yes, bass can travel easily that far, even through walls. Hard to know what device might be doing it. If she has a sub, that is a likely source.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Harnessed? Do you mean harassed? Who's too loud? Your post is kind of confusing.

Bass frequencies are notorious for permeating through walls and annoying neighbors, even at low levels if they're close enough. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do aside from volume control and DSP for containment. Depending on... is your sister pissing her neighbor off or is the neighbor being loud and pissing your sister off?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Harnessed? Do you mean harassed? Who's too loud? Your post is kind of confusing.

Bass frequencies are notorious for permeating through walls and annoying neighbors, even at low levels if they're close enough. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do aside from volume control and DSP for containment. Depending on... is your sister pissing her neighbor off or is the neighbor being loud and pissing your sister off?
Guess that's going to depend on who is harnessing who :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually read it like, her neighbor is complaining about her audio being too loud, thusly "harnessing" her system from realizing its full potential...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I also am unclear on what form the harassment of your sister is taking.
I believe it is the neighbor that is harassing your sister with sound?
But if so, I am not sure what you mean to accomplish.
The most common and socially accepted rule is to have the volume go down during "quiet hours".
Of interest is a feature that Denon and Marantz AVR's have called LFC (low frequency containment). The point of this control is to allow reduction of the lower frequencies that would most likely be offensive to neighbors (or even people in the next room). I know when I play my system loud, the only thing I can hear outside (when doors and windows are closed) is the bass. This control gives me a way to be able to reduce that bass while playing the system loud.

PS-It has been my experience that there are not many features available on one AVR that don't soon show up on the other brands. Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Sony may have an equivalent feature, but I am only familiar with Denon and Marantz.

N

Nonphysical

Audiophyte
Harassment* I correct myself lol

Apparently they're using low to high frequencies - most you can feel. I've experienced the higher ones myself but was unsure which kind of speaker/device they were using. But people recommended a bass speaker on here which is helpful.

Besides being able to easily travel through walls or objects, can bass travel in distant too?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes bass goes further than higher frequencies and go through and around walls/houses more easily.
(Whales and elephants use very low frequency sound to communicate over long distances)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes bass goes further than higher frequencies and go through and around walls/houses more easily.
(Whales and elephants use very low frequency sound to communicate over long distances)
So that is what the car dudes are doing when they are playing loudly and all I hear is boom-boom. Apart from hearing loss those dudes must have a permanent concussion.

N

Nonphysical

Audiophyte
Oh I see, dearly me then. I guess it could be an sub woofer that would use bass? Or maybe an powered subwoofer (I googled that). Do you think that this could be the equipment in use? Or something with resonant speaker?

I guess it could explain the directional feel and good carry distance?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Oh I see, dearly me then. I guess it could be an sub woofer that would use bass? Or maybe an powered subwoofer (I googled that). Do you think that this could be the equipment in use? Or something with resonant speaker?

Bass itself isnt directional but bouncing around inside a house will change some of the sound to other frequencies and thats what makes it directional. The neighbour might have a subwoofer of multipple subs or only large party speakers which doesnt dig as deep but do a lot more a little further up. There ismt really any difference between active or passive subwoofers either, they all need power and get it from an amplifier inside the box(active) or from a separate box outside the subwoofer box itself.

The problem isnt really whats used its the volume its used at and possibly the times of day or duration its used.
(I have very large speakers, lots of power pluss 4 subwoofers and live in an apartment but all the neighbours considers us nice and quiet because i never play very loud)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Might be time to knock on the neighbor's door and see what he's got and come to an understanding....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still a little confused as to the exact details if this situation...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

And yes, there is a bit of confusion to this harassment. Your neighbor's house emits sound in the low and high frequency and this is bothering your sister?
Can she tell if it is music sound or movie sound? People talking?
How loud is it in her house? Any specific time? Random?
Is she willing to talk to her neighbor about this?
Is it an older construction home? Double pane windows or just single?
Any physical barriers between the two homes?

N

Nonphysical

Audiophyte
Thankyou!

Yes, that is correct - they're house is emitting low and high frequency sounds, from what I've been told it's just soundwaves.

Her house is usually quiet and not particularly noisy from any other on the street. The neighbor has previously been in an disagreement so peaceful resolution, sadly doesn't look possible. The construction of her house is single pane glass and brick. The only barrier is an tall wooden fence.

We're thinking it's an subwoofer as sound can sound directional and it's very bass in nature.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The bottom line is that most cities will have a noise ordinance and measurements would need to be taken to see if the offender is in violation or not.

If in violation, they could be ticketed. If not in violation, then the offender may turn down the volume if asked nicely, or may not as there is nothing to be done if there is no violation.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Yes volume ordinances apply to all municipalities. Find out what time that is and call the police once that specific time is violated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis