Audeze EL-8 Planar Magnetic Headphones Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Nothing like being able to enjoy your favorite tunes wherever you are, whenever you want. As many of you already know, I've been a headphone fan for years. I am particularly interested on a new pair of planar magnetic headphones that were introduced not long ago. Behold the new Audeze EL-8 Planar Magnetic Headphones.
IMG_0899.jpg

These new babies contain most of the features that we, "headphones junkies", are looking for. They are flexible, portable, lightweight and loaded with Audeze's new technology, not to mention their craftsmanship which is top notch, beautiful wood veneer accents, and a stunning attention to detail. I haven't had the opportunity to try them myself, but recently I talked to a good friend who had the opportunity of attending to the last CES Show and he shared his impressions and how amazed he was when he tried them on. He said that the EL-8 not only felt more comfortable than the company's flagship, the LCD-3, but they were also more portable friendly.

LCD-3 vs EL-8 Size Comparison
PicsArt_1425584831027.jpg

One of the new features on the EL-8 model is what the guys at Audeze call "fluxor magnetic technology". According to the company, this technology delivers nearly the double of magnetic flux density from the circuitry which translates into reduced weight and greater efficiency. In addition, these new headphones feature "Uniforce diaphragm technology" and "Fazor technology" which, according to Audeze, are improvements to the magnetic planar design with the purpose of reducing distortion and improve performance.

So far, everything that I've read and heard about these headphones has been nothing but excellent. And Audeze's pedigree is out of the question. But, as a true audioholic, I'm going to wait until I get my hands on a pair of them. For now, all I can say is that I like them a lot! What do you think, guys?

Package Includes:
  • 2m (6.56 feet) Audeze headphone cable.
  • 3.5mm to 1/4in stereo adapter.
  • Fazor elements.
  • Fluxor magnetic structure.
  • Uniforce diaphragms.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Style: Open circumaural
  • Transducer type: Planar magnetic
  • Magnetic structure: Fluxor magnets
  • Magnet type: Neodymium
  • Driver Size: 100mm
  • Maximum power handling: 15W (for 200ms)
  • Maximum SPL: >130dB
  • Frequency response: 10Hz – 50kHz
  • Total harmonic distortion: Less than 0.01% (1kHz, 1mW)
  • Impedance: 30 ohms
  • Efficiency: 102dB / 1mW
  • Optimal power requirement: 200mW – 4W
  • Weight: 460g
Price: $699.00

Note: Available in two versions: Open-Back and Closed-Back.
PicsArt_1425524514476.jpg

Both versions are available in the following colors.
500x1000px-LL-127377cc_el-8_4_variations.jpeg

R

rfan8312

Audiophyte
Hi there.

Well I have auditioned both, the open and the closed versions, multiple times, without an amp, just listening to Google Play Music purchased songs using a Galaxy S4 smartphone.

To my surprise I prefer the closed version. I felt that the closed version had a more coherent edge on this new sound that Audeze has issued.

IMO the sound signature takes some getting used to, and is much brighter than products in the Audeze LCD line, but, there is a lot to like as well in the tuning and sound signature.
Good separation, nice soundstage, good imaging and tight controlled planar bass that has some rumble and texture to it.

IMO, nearly all of these above mentioned elements of the sound of the closed version are less apparent and more diffused in the open-back EL-8. Except for soundstage and air between instruments may be a bit better in the open version, at the cost of some of the potency and musicality of the EL-8 sound signature that is found on the closed version.

The EL-8 is very easy to drive from any DAP, but I would like to see how it performs with my new portable amp the Sony PHA-1A.

As far as build quality goes, it's amazing. I'm not yet sure of the materials used but much of the EL-8 structure feels ultra premium with metal that feels as strong as titanium. The build quality is as impressive or more-so than any other headphone I can remember.

Although the wood veneer doesn't look very good IMO.
A better looking wood could have been used but no wood at all, if it is actually wood, may have been better.

The earcups are huge but also very comfortable, with no sense of excessive clamping pressure and the weight of the headphone, which feels quite a bit lighter than the LCD series, is not distracting IMO.

Anyway, these have been my impressions so far. I'm looking forward to auditioning the EL-8 headphones again with a portable amp to see what, if anything, it will do to improve or enhance the sound, which so far to me is very nice and quite impressive in certain aspects but so far not nearly as engaging as products in the Grado line up, SR325e for instance, some of which cost considerably less than the EL-8.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have EL-8 closed and they sound great, as good as my HD800 Sens. The only fault I find is the way the cord plugs into the headphone. Keeps coming unplugged. VERY ANNOYING. Wish there was a fix.

J

juma victor

Audiophyte
These are well built headphones that are easily driven. The bass is fast and potent with no discernible distortion. The Soundage is expansive and gives the illusion that you are in the audience at a live performance. Using them with my Sony NW-ZX2 streaming Tidal is very enjoyable, however using them with my iPhone 6 streaming is pleasant as well. The headband can be a little tight and the seal created between the head and the pads are solid. Any shift of your head or re-positioning of the cups creates a crinkly sound as the planar film distorts. The cables are also prone to shorting out.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis