B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
Going for a 9 channel amp to create a theater area in my basement. Basement is currently all unfinished and trying to map things out. I will not have a dedicated room for the theater but it will take up about 40% of that basement which will be an open concept. The other 60% will consist of small bar and pool table area. Considering the open concept in the basement what should I go for with the 9 channel AVR? (Note: I don’t think it’s possible for me to have the side surrounds at the bed layer based on the layout)
5.2.4 or 7.2.2
thanks!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Going for a 9 channel amp to create a theater area in my basement. Basement is currently all unfinished and trying to map things out. I will not have a dedicated room for the theater but it will take up about 40% of that basement which will be an open concept. The other 60% will consist of small bar and pool table area. Considering the open concept in the basement what should I go for with the 9 channel AVR? (Note: I don’t think it’s possible for me to have the side surrounds at the bed layer based on the layout)
5.2.4 or 7.2.2
thanks!
Pics. or better yet dimensions help a great deal.

AVR...I would just keep going to the same well...the Denon X3600H...it has your 9 channels.

5.2.4 vs 7.2.2...1st thing is room depth. You need a good 5 to 6' of space behind the last row of seating...else stick with 5.1.

Secondly...If you have the room size for the extra set of surround speakers, 7.1 is a go. But not if you plan on streaming most of your movies from Netflix, Prime, etc...this is a 5.1 world and I don't know if that will change much. Purchasing or renting blu-ray discs will get you the 7.1 movie content.

I'm very content with my 5.2.4 set up, but at the same time the room dictated a 5.1 system for the space and imo 4 atmos speakers are better than 2.

Honestly I've never really heard a 7.2.2 vs a 5.2.4 (I've heard 7.1 vs 5.1).

Admittedly, I'm a little bias because I don't have the room depth for rear surrounds and I'm not a big enough movie buff to seek out 7.1 content. My suggestions would be to go with the 4 atmos speakers...5.2.4

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha RX-A2080, Denon 3600 or 4500.

The next generation Yamaha RX-A6 AVR w/ 9CH will have HDMI 2.1 for 8K Video. :D

Last edited:
B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
Pics. or better yet dimensions help a great deal.

AVR...I would just keep going to the same well...the Denon X3600H...it has your 9 channels.

5.2.4 vs 7.2.2...1st thing is room depth. You need a good 5 to 6' of space behind the last row of seating...else stick with 5.1.

Secondly...If you have the room size for the extra set of surround speakers, 7.1 is a go. But not if you plan on streaming most of your movies from Netflix, Prime, etc...this is a 5.1 world and I don't know if that will change much. Purchasing or renting blu-ray discs will get you the 7.1 movie content.

I'm very content with my 5.2.4 set up, but at the same time the room dictated a 5.1 system for the space and imo 4 atmos speakers are better than 2.

Honestly I've never really heard a 7.2.2 vs a 5.2.4 (I've heard 7.1 vs 5.1).

Admittedly, I'm a little bias because I don't have the room depth for rear surrounds and I'm not a big enough movie buff to seek out 7.1 content. My suggestions would be to go with the 4 atmos speakers...5.2.4
Thank you! My biggest concern was prepping for the right amount of ceiling speakers before drywall goes up. The area I’m working with is roughly 22’wide x16’ deep with 8’ ceiling.
I can tell you that my gear now is probably not worth mentioning. Mostly why I joined this forum was to get some support. But here it is;

Sony STRDH770
Denon AVR1613
Klipsch KF-26
Klipsch KC-25
Klipsch F-20
Vega CLS-15S

2channel lover

Thank you! My biggest concern was prepping for the right amount of ceiling speakers before drywall goes up. The area I’m working with is roughly 22’wide x16’ deep with 8’ ceiling.
I can tell you that my gear now is probably not worth mentioning. Mostly why I joined this forum was to get some support. But here it is;

Sony STRDH770
Denon AVR1613
Klipsch KF-26
Klipsch KC-25
Klipsch F-20
Vega CLS-15S
My space is 18'w x 16'D x 9'h ceiling

Weird layout kinda forces me to sit back about 13'...thus not enough room for rear channels.

Unless you intend to go with a more elaborate AVR, 4 Atmos is all you need to prep for.

On the equipment...I'm not a big klipsch fan, but they are solid HT speakers, no reason to upgrade these unless you want better SQ for music.

To get the most bang for your buck (no pardon for the pun!) I would upgrade the Vega Sub. I honestly don't know much about your sub, but it appears to be at least 10 yrs old and the newer CV subs don't seem to be on par with the likes of HSU, SVS, so I'm not confident you're getting the best performance on the low end.

There are several good direct sell sub companies out there. I bought HSU...performance/price they are hard to beat imo.

B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
Yeah most of my stuff is dated for sure. That vega thi is no punk tho. Gets pretty low, in the 20’s I believe. I was hoping to keep it for the super low stuff and getting a newer respectable sub with a quicker response. Maybe some sort of a sealed 10”or 12”. Unfortunately I cannot buy everything at once. Thinking I would upgrade to a new Denon 9 channel along with 4 ceilings and an additional sub. Later on upgrade the LCR.
Any recommendations on surrounds? Something decent since I’ll be going for that 5 channel surround

2channel lover

Yeah most of my stuff is dated for sure. That vega thi is no punk tho. Gets pretty low, in the 20’s I believe. I was hoping to keep it for the super low stuff and getting a newer respectable sub with a quicker response. Maybe some sort of a sealed 10”or 12”. Unfortunately I cannot buy everything at once. Thinking I would upgrade to a new Denon 9 channel along with 4 ceilings and an additional sub. Later on upgrade the LCR.
Any recommendations on surrounds? Something decent since I’ll be going for that 5 channel surround
Lol...I'm sure it can still boom.

There are people on the forum with far more knowledge than what I can offer on subs. As I mentioned I hadn't heard your sub, but my experience with my own older Paradigm 15" sub makes me think an upgrade might do you some good...but I could be wrong. The newer ported subs do both...go low and musically fit.

In any event, just adding another sealed sub I wouldn't consider...pressurizing a space with different subs is already tricky, having one ported and one sealed only adds to that I think. I still feel like a sub upgrade would serve you well...maybe we'll have some others in here to offer some insight on your CV sub.

Your best money spent now would be the new AVR since you want atmos.

Surrounds...if it's going to be mostly a movie system...I would just get decent pair of book shelf speakers...I wouldn't be overly concerned about tonal matching the fronts. If you decide to playback hi res multi-ch music I still wouldn't be overly concerned but I would probably want some in the same family as the fronts

Last edited:
B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
Lol...I'm sure it can still boom.

There are people on the forum with far more knowledge than what I can offer on subs. As I mentioned I hadn't heard your sub, but my experience with my own older Paradigm 15" sub makes me think an upgrade might do you some good...but I could be wrong. The newer ported subs do both...go low and musically fit.

In any event, just adding another sealed sub I wouldn't consider...pressurizing a space with different subs is already tricky, having one ported and one sealed only adds to that I think. I still feel like a sub upgrade would serve you well...maybe we'll have some others in here to offer some insight on your CV sub.

Your best money spent now would be the new AVR since you want atmos.

Surrounds...if it's going to be mostly a movie system...I would just get decent pair of book shelf speakers...I wouldn't be overly concerned about tonal matching the fronts. If you decide to playback hi res multi-ch music I still would be overly concerned but I would probably want some in the same family as the fronts
Yes I would be interested to hear more about the subs. I know Gene is a big fan of multiple subs but I guess I never considered the effect of a sealed and ported in the same room. I was always told ported goes lower but most people don’t want a huge ported box in the room.
I’ll probably stick with klipsch so I can keep the family reunion going

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well the CV is rated to 25hz but it didn’t say if that was f3 or f6 or what. I’m pretty confident in saying that is a high “Q” low damped subwoofer mainly designed for impact. I don’t know your comfort level of spending, but I have no doubt a 15”er from the usual suspects would be better in every metric. Extension, output, control and linearity would all be improved. As far as ported vs sealed, the only reason for sealed is to save room, and keep mamma happy. It can take as many as 4 to equal the output of a comparable ported sub. At least below 40hz. In a music only system, sealed can work in the right room, but imo a quality ported sub is having your cake AND throwing it around at everyone in the room!!!
I think pics would help, but I would try to rotate the setup so the screen and stuff was on the 16’ wall. My room(not considering the kitchen and foyer etc) is 16x23(iirc) and I went 7.1.4.

B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
Yes I would be interested to hear more about the subs. I know Gene is a big fan of multiple subs but I guess I never considered the effect of a sealed and ported in the same room. I was always told ported goes lower but most people don’t want a huge ported box in the room.
I’ll probably stick with klipsch so I can keep the family reunion going
Well the CV is rated to 25hz but it didn’t say if that was f3 or f6 or what. I’m pretty confident in saying that is a high “Q” low damped subwoofer mainly designed for impact. I don’t know your comfort level of spending, but I have no doubt a 15”er from the usual suspects would be better in every metric. Extension, output, control and linearity would all be improved. As far as ported vs sealed, the only reason for sealed is to save room, and keep mamma happy. It can take as many as 4 to equal the output of a comparable ported sub. At least below 40hz. In a music only system, sealed can work in the right room, but imo a quality ported sub is having your cake AND throwing it around at everyone in the room!!!
I think pics would help, but I would try to rotate the setup so the screen and stuff was on the 16’ wall. My room(not considering the kitchen and foyer etc) is 16x23(iirc) and I went 7.1.4.
now that’s funny as hell! I would love to throw bass cake at everyone, I mean seriously, who doesn’t like cake...

B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
now that’s funny as hell! I would love to throw bass cake at everyone, I mean seriously, who doesn’t like cake...
I appreciate the response from everyone. Now I’m only half as stressed as I was before this forum!

2channel lover

I appreciate the response from everyone. Now I’m only half as stressed as I was before this forum!
I have a friend with a very similar Klipsch system...very much into his system. He has a Klipsch sub that he thinks is killing it (has it turned up to near max). I've told him twice if he wanted to take his system to the next level he would upgrade the subs.

They make a bigger difference than you might imagine.

My system

sound.JPG

IMO...it's great you have ceiling access to install inceiling atmos...if I didn't mentioned...6" speakers work, especially for 8' ceiling...8" speakers have wider dispersion...you don't need to break the bank on these...I used mid level Polks $300/4.
Front

atmos front .JPG
atmos rear.JPG

Rear

Side surrounds...you mentioned something about those not being optimal due to the layout. Just a note, the side surrounds make the 5 channels, you get more content going to those speakers than the rear surrounds

Good you've learned something here, I know I have....good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

B

BassPlace61

Enthusiast
I have a friend with a very similar Klipsch system...very much into his system. He has a Klipsch sub that he thinks is killing it (has it turned up to near max). I've told him twice if he wanted to take his system to the next level he would upgrade the subs.

They make a bigger difference than you might imagine.

My system

View attachment 33866

IMO...it's great you have ceiling access to install inceiling atmos...if I didn't mentioned...6" speakers work, especially for 8' ceiling...8" speakers have wider dispersion...you don't need to break the bank on these...I used mid level Polks $300/4.
Front

View attachment 33871View attachment 33872
Rear

Side surrounds...you mentioned something about those not being optimal due to the layout. Just a note, the side surrounds make the 5 channels, you get more content going to those speakers than the rear surrounds

Good you've learned something here, I know I have....good luck with the project. Keep us posted.
looking good over there . Still lots to plan on my end. Choosing in wall speakers wire, all the appropriate wall plates w/connections, how and where to mount surrounds and will I need a bigger tv. Not going the projector route BTW.
I've had pretty good luck with klipsch in the past. However I have never owned a klipsch sub. Definitely leaning towards SVS when I upgrade.
What are you running, 5.2.4 or 7.2.4

2channel lover

looking good over there . Still lots to plan on my end. Choosing in wall speakers wire, all the appropriate wall plates w/connections, how and where to mount surrounds and will I need a bigger tv. Not going the projector route BTW.
I've had pretty good luck with klipsch in the past. However I have never owned a klipsch sub. Definitely leaning towards SVS when I upgrade.
What are you running, 5.2.4 or 7.2.4
Thanks...total rebuild...currently my 20+ old B&W towers are serving as the rear surrounds...pending gift to my son...enjoying them.

Yes, l live on a slab now, but I've finished one basement with a full HT room bar...fun times. But it can be overwhelming.

SVS...great choice! With the trial period you can't go wrong.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis