K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Hesitate to post this on this site as I know the reaction that's coming :)

For my upstairs setup, I have in ceiling canton's for Atmos. They are great and I upmix everything to Dolby Audio and I think it's pretty immersive

Downstairs, I don't think speakers in the ceiling is possible. I have ELAC toppers that fit perfectly on top of 4 Infinity R263's (got 4 for $100 total a couple years back used so hard to turn that down). I also was upmixing all as I figured why not make use of them. I'm finding that at the right levels they do add something. But I was thinking something is not real impressive about my 263s (and might be right). But i've found that I get better sound in many instances out of just going 5.1 with the 263's. And I'm appreciating my 263s more now.

So question is anyone else upmixing all content using Atmos enabled speakers and is that proving to be a benefit to you? OR are you picking your spots based on the content and whether it contains Atmos material? I hate to trash them since they are there and do benefit at times. But curious if others are using these and how often they leverge them via upmixing

Thanks

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Heya,

It would help to know more about your room they're in. Reflection atmos is a different animal all together and really only shows off in a room that is ideal for it. Otherwise, its a gimmick it seems.

I would have to wonder, what's different when you're using your 263's in 5.1 versus when including atmos and upmixing to that. Something must be happening there if it changes your 263's. I would look into this first.

Very best,

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I think I just meant that when I upmix, it sends more of the signal away from the 263s to the Atmos. By going 5.1 all the signal is passed through the much larger and stronger towers and it sounds better overall. Now that's when I'm watching network tv, etc.

For content that has Atmos content then using the upfiring sounds good.

But i'm regaining a little comfort in my 263's.

Moral of the story might be that upmixing has it's place for not for all content necessarily. And YES I would like ceiling speakers but can't have them in this setup.

Thanks for your reply

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, I also have a full Atmos setup upstairs and a 5.1.4 downstairs in my office. I got the toppers that match my Pioneer towers, but only use the front now since my current receiver doesn't support Atmos...yet.

They seem to work OK in my room, but without an adequate receiver it's hard to make a call.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis