D

dzzmiller

Enthusiast
New TV (LG C9) and a Denon X3600H with a Atmos 7.1.4 setup. Can I connect my sources physically to the TV, feed the reciever optical out from the TV and still retain Atmos? My sources are AppleTV and Xbox.

In the past I ran my sources through the reciever first. Is there still any advantage to the reciever first setup? Thanks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
New TV (LG C9) and a Denon X3600H with a Atmos 7.1.4 setup. Can I connect my sources physically to the TV, feed the reciever optical out from the TV and still retain Atmos? My sources are AppleTV and Xbox.

In the past I ran my sources through the reciever first. Is there still any advantage to the reciever first setup? Thanks.
Not with optical, has to be HDMI eARC and the latest update was supposed to allow for it. Confirm with LG that it is in fact available now. All HD audio has to be via HDMI.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would just go through the receiver. And Everett is correct.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is ALWAYS an advantage to a receiver first setup. eARC may work fairly well... Even REALLY well. But, not perfectly. At some point you will turn on your TV and it will turn on your receiver when you don't want it to. Or, it will turn something off unexpectedly. It will switch inputs when you don't want it to. This is the lie of HDMI-CEC control that goes along with ARC.

If you just plug everything into all those HDMI inputs that you bought with your A/V receiver, then you just leave your TV on a single input and call it a day.

D

dzzmiller

Enthusiast
There is ALWAYS an advantage to a receiver first setup. eARC may work fairly well... Even REALLY well. But, not perfectly. At some point you will turn on your TV and it will turn on your receiver when you don't want it to. Or, it will turn something off unexpectedly. It will switch inputs when you don't want it to. This is the lie of HDMI-CEC control that goes along with ARC.

If you just plug everything into all those HDMI inputs that you bought with your A/V receiver, then you just leave your TV on a single input and call it a day.
I find that CEC control can be turned off without a problem while retaining the eARC feed.

I'm unclear at this point how well the TV feeds Atmos to the receiver, which may become the deciding factor. I will probably end up running netflix and Amazon Prime Video on the TV, and plugging everything else into the receiver.

When Playstation Vue dies at the end of the month I'm going back to a comcast cable box, so that may further complicate matters.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I find that CEC control can be turned off without a problem while retaining the eARC feed.

I'm unclear at this point how well the TV feeds Atmos to the receiver, which may become the deciding factor. I will probably end up running netflix and Amazon Prime Video on the TV, and plugging everything else into the receiver.

When Playstation Vue dies at the end of the month I'm going back to a comcast cable box, so that may further complicate matters.
I'd just buy a steaming media player and leave the TV as a monitor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis