S

stangjason

Audiophyte
I have an 8ft ceiling and I plan to install ceiling mounted bookshelf speakers for Dolby Atmost. The listening level of the front speakers of my LCRs are about 3 feet so I measured 5ft from the center listening position and 5 feet to the left and right from that position. So if I mount those speakers on mounts hanging down from the last 5 feet position am in the right spots for atmos speakers? I've also measured a 45 degree angle from the first 5 foot measurement in front or behind and it comes to about the same location maybe a little farther out. Do I have the right idea or am I missing something?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an 8ft ceiling and I plan to install ceiling mounted bookshelf speakers for Dolby Atmost. The listening level of the front speakers of my LCRs are about 3 feet so I measured 5ft from the center listening position and 5 feet to the left and right from that position. So if I mount those speakers on mounts hanging down from the last 5 feet position am in the right spots for atmos speakers? I've also measured a 45 degree angle from the first 5 foot measurement in front or behind and it comes to about the same location maybe a little farther out. Do I have the right idea or am I missing something?
Since no one else replies I will give you an answer. Bookshelf speakers are not designed to be mounted on a ceiling. It will also look odd and basically atrocious. You need to mount suitable speakers in the ceiling in the correct locations according to Dolby specs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In-ceiling speakers are better for Atmos overhead effects.

But if you cannot install in-ceiling speakers and can only install bookshelf speakers on the ceiling edges pointing downward, I think it's better than nothing and may sound good for the purpose of Atmos effects. If the bookshelf speakers are small, it might look okay too. :D

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I also think that mounted bookshelves should work reasonably well, provided they can be positioned and angled properly. An in-ceiling or even on-wall (mounted on ceiling) is the tidier solution though.

My drop ceiling isn't deep enough to support a decent in-ceiling speaker, so I was also looking at this option at one point. Something like Kanto Yu passives with their bottom mounting socket and an articulating mount was my thinking. I ended up going with proper matched on-wall/ceiling speakers and I'm glad I could but I still see no reason why bookshelf solution would not have worked if necessary.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also think that mounted bookshelves should work reasonably well, provided they can be positioned and angled properly. An in-ceiling or even on-wall (mounted on ceiling) is the tidier solution though.

My drop ceiling isn't deep enough to support a decent in-ceiling speaker, so I was also looking at this option at one point. Something like Kanto Yu passives with their bottom mounting socket and an articulating mount was my thinking. I ended up going with proper matched on-wall/ceiling speakers and I'm glad I could but I still see no reason why bookshelf solution would not have worked if necessary.
Have you looked at heavier duty ceiling panels? I’ve mounted speakers in the harder ones. Had no problems.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, there are many people using ON ceiling bookshelf speakers. In fact many claim much better performance. IMO, the main benefit is being able to aim them at the listener. Most speakers sound better on axis and imo, imaging would follow suit. If you can stand the look, I say go for it.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Have you looked at heavier duty ceiling panels? I’ve mounted speakers in the harder ones. Had no problems.
The issue was only having a couple inches between the panels and the floor above. The tiles in one part are the harder style but the speakers were also 16 lbs each, not counting the mounting hardware - I wouldn't have trusted it to hold without some extra bracing.

In the end, I used flush-mount on-walls mounted through 2' x 1' painted board and cut tiles to accommodate them. It worked out reasonably well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The issue was only having a couple inches between the panels and the floor above. The tiles in one part are the harder style but the speakers were also 16 lbs each, not counting the mounting hardware - I wouldn't have trusted it to hold without some extra bracing.

In the end, I used flush-mount on-walls mounted through 2' x 1' painted board and cut tiles to accommodate them. It worked out reasonably well.
Nice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis