Atmos speaker suggestions

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for in-ceiling speakers for a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system that will tonally match my current Martin Logan setup. I'd like to stick to ML if possible but open to other suggestions. Currently I'm running a 5.1 Martin Logan system consisting of Sequel II's for the Mains, Cinema for the Center and Scripts for the surrounds. Recently upgraded from an Anthem MRX 300 to an Anthem MRX 720 that is being used as a preamp with an Anthem MCA 5 5ch amp 225w x5 running the mains, center and surrounds. I have a NEC AVA-505 3/5 ch amp which would have 4 channels at 40w/ch at 4 ohms that I was planning on using for the 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers. The basement room is about 38'x 14' with 7' drop ceilings, only the first 1/3 of the room is being used for the home theater the rest is open to a guest bedroom on the other end.

My initial thoughts are the ML Motion MC6-HT or the ML IC6-HT both have a 6.5" driver with the MC6 having a folded motion tweeter and the IC6 having a more traditional 1" titanium dome tweeter. Both also have a built in 30º angle baffle which I thought could help steer the sound to the MLP to compensate for the low ceiling height.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I'm a super noob at this sort of thing, but I was looking for a similar suggestion/advice myself in the last few days. The advice I was given was to buy the in ceiling speakers that matched my front soundstage, and had the same tweeter.

Cheers.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
If you have a Paradigm Dealer I would consult with them. Martin Logan and Paradigm are made by the same company and will be the most likely to "match" what you are looking at in expansion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s nice to keep the entire system one brand.

I would get an in-ceiling with Aluminum Woofer and Titanium, Aluminum or Soft-dome tweeter.

6.5” woofer would be my minimum, and I prefer 8” for more dynamics.

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast

I would get an in-ceiling with Aluminum Woofer and Titanium, Aluminum or Soft-dome tweeter.

What are your thoughts on the folded motion tweeters, the ML rep seemed to be pushing those more than the dome tweeter versions.

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
If you have a Paradigm Dealer I would consult with them. Martin Logan and Paradigm are made by the same company and will be the most likely to "match" what you are looking at in expansion.
Some of the ML are built in the Paradigm plant in Mississawga, CN but the main designs and engineering are still done at the ML home base in Lawrence, Ks. And so while they share the same manufacturing plants they are still very separate companies. I believe the only thing they share are some of the Anthem room correction files to help match certain models together.

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
I'm a super noob at this sort of thing, but I was looking for a similar suggestion/advice myself in the last few days. The advice I was given was to buy the in ceiling speakers that matched my front soundstage, and had the same tweeter.

Cheers.
Only issue is all my speakers are electrostatics and they don't make a electrostatic in-ceiling speaker that I know of so that's why I was asking if their dome or folded motion tweeter speakers would be ok for the height speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are your thoughts on the folded motion tweeters, the ML rep seemed to be pushing those more than the dome tweeter versions.
Doesn’t matter if it’s folded or dome to me.

Do the rest of your ML speakers have the folded tweeters? If yes, then I can see a case for the ceiling. If not, there’s no case at all to me.

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Doesn’t matter if it’s folded or dome to me.

Do the rest of your ML speakers have the folded tweeters? If yes, then I can see a case for the ceiling. If not, there’s no case at all to me.
My center ch, model Cinema has a 1" soft dome tweeter. The rest of the speakers are hybrid electrostatics. Sequel II's for the mains and Scripts for the surrounds.

Last edited:
B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast

I hear conflicting reports on the Atmos channels, one side wants a larger dynamic capable speaker and the other side seems to think there's very minimal information and pretty much any decent speaker will be fine. I'd prefer the 8" but right now I'm not sure how long I'll be at my current residence and don't want to blow the budget on speakers that might not work for the next place so maybe the 6.5" models will be a good compromise but the good thing is we have a drop ceiling so it'll be easy enough to install and remove them if we do end up selling the house.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hear conflicting reports on the Atmos channels, one side wants a larger dynamic capable speaker and the other side seems to think there's very minimal information and pretty much any decent speaker will be fine. I'd prefer the 8" but right now I'm not sure how long I'll be at my current residence and don't want to blow the budget on speakers that might not work for the next place so maybe the 6.5" models will be a good compromise but the good thing is we have a drop ceiling so it'll be easy enough to install and remove them if we do end up selling the house.
Yeah I prefer 8" in-ceilings, but the 6.5" is a good healthy size. :D

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Yeah I prefer 8" in-ceilings, but the 6.5" is a good healthy size. :D
Hmm, I just remembered the Scripts actually come with a wall braket that allows the speaker to swivel. I could mount them to the ceiling joists and have a perfect timbre match to my mains. Not sure how the wife will like the look but I'd have to remember to duck. Lol I kid

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis