Atmos Speaker Placement?

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I have a few ? on a Atmos set-up the pic’s below are of my room’s back wall I’m currently running a 5.1 set-up will be upgrading to at least 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 very soon…so ? 1 given that in my living room there are small (the one with the window is only 12" approx. in width) sidewall placement options where could the extra speakers could be placed? 2nd ? Should I use stands or wall mounts given my limited options maybe the Pioneer "Atmos enabled speakers bookshelf" again either on stands in the corners or on wall mounts angled
towards the MLP????Thanks!!

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/photoguy995/media/20160619_212557_zpsibunrzif.jpg.html?o=0

P.S the rear speakers will be gone I know hey are in the wrong spot!
these are the pioneers I'm talking about.....http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catalog/product/297926-Pioneer-SP-BS22A-LR

Last edited:
BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
So I take it you are not considering in-ceiling speakers?

ManBarra

ManBarra

Enthusiast
Do you have a picture of the front stage? If you start with the .2, I'd take care of the front stage first. Then when you eventually go to .4 you can wrap up the rears.

The Pioneers you mention look like they have a fixed angle. That makes it tough when trying to dial your reflection points.

The sides seem pretty open in your photos so I'd probably wall mount bookshelves above your existing front and rear speakers and with proper angles you should get the full Atmos affect.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
No not an option for me!
Ok, needed to know in order to form my opinion.
From what myself and others have discovered, I would forget about any upfiring or enabled speaker unless it's an absolute must, they are your biggest compromise in getting a quality experience.

I'm your room I would:
Plan on 5.1.4 for sure, using Front and Rear Heights for your overhead speakers.
I'd place some bookshelves in the corners, one on top of the shelf where the plant is and one on the opposite corner shelf. These would be your new Surrounds.
Then use 4 of the speakers that you currently have mounted on the wall for your height speakers. Mount the front two directly above your mains, right at the ceiling, then place the rears in the same position on the back wall. (Even though they are heights, you can change their location designation in the AVR to which ever sounds best to you, FH/RH, TF/TR or any combination of.)
If you start with 5.1.2 do the FH first.

Unless you "Absolutely Can Not" do 5.1.4 eventually, then for 5.1.2 mount those same speakers at the 2/3 point (which is the rear most angle for TM) on the side walls, again right at the ceiling, facing straight out.

Some side notes:
By placing the surrounds on those cabinets or on stands/shelves, as opposed to mounting them, you can tweak their angle for "best sound".
For the heights, mount them with as little angle as possible, "Do Not" aim them at you, it completely throws off the positioning of sound be the renderer and creates an undesirable localizable sound.
Atmos rendering does not work like PLIIz w/ Heights.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis