Atmos Speaker placement- compromised seating

C

chiguy

Audiophyte
New here, so thanks in advance for your insights…

I’m retiring my workhorse Onkyo TX-NR5007 and have a shiny new Denon AVR-6500 to take its place. My room presents compromises but I was hoping to take advantage of Atmos. The sofa/seating area is against the rear wall of the room- I can’t change that. There are two existing KEF ceiling speakers placed about 4 feet from the side walls and 12 inches from the rear wall – I don’t want to change that either. The rest of the system consists of KEF iQ9 mains and a KEFiQ6C center. My sub is a JL Fathom F113.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but based on what I’ve researched so far the big issue seems to be the rear/ceiling speakers not being behind me. I’m open to adding some rear side speakers at ear level as surrounds and use the ceiling as part of Atmos duty. I’m also open to adding additional ceiling speakers midway to the front (or wherever). I attached a simple layout with dimensions to help visualize everything. I’m eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

LR2.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Since certain things are fixed, like not moving off the wall, I would consider 5.1.2. Do this by adding ear level surrounds(as you said) and using the IC KEF’s as top fronts. You should know, that they should be moved forward. If you can’t or just don’t want to, do know that the Atmos presentation will be compromised as pans from back to front will likely seem to teleport from the back to front with the big gap there. Still, some Atmos is better than no Atmos so I would still do it. So no. You don’t want them behind you for Atmos. You’ll want them in front of you. Also, if you used them as regular surrounds, them yes, you’d want them behind you. So really they’re not in a good spot either way, but are closer to .2 Atmos.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Yea, since you don't want to move anything, the only thing you can do is get some ear level surround speakers. Then use the ceiling speakers as atmos speakers. That will still be an improvement from what you have. You can get some inexpensive small bookshelf speakers and mount them to the wall to the sides of your couch.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
New here, so thanks in advance for your insights…

I’m retiring my workhorse Onkyo TX-NR5007 and have a shiny new Denon AVR-6500 to take its place. My room presents compromises but I was hoping to take advantage of Atmos. The sofa/seating area is against the rear wall of the room- I can’t change that. There are two existing KEF ceiling speakers placed about 4 feet from the side walls and 12 inches from the rear wall – I don’t want to change that either. The rest of the system consists of KEF iQ9 mains and a KEFiQ6C center. My sub is a JL Fathom F113.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but based on what I’ve researched so far the big issue seems to be the rear/ceiling speakers not being behind me. I’m open to adding some rear side speakers at ear level as surrounds and use the ceiling as part of Atmos duty. I’m also open to adding additional ceiling speakers midway to the front (or wherever). I attached a simple layout with dimensions to help visualize everything. I’m eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

View attachment 31180
Welcome to AH!

I have atmos, while my space was not ideal for a 7.2.4 system, , I was able to get a 5.2.4 system to fit great with the 4 in ceiling atmos speakers in pretty good position according to the Dolby Atmos layout diagram.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

I do like what it delivers, but I've heard some atmos setups both (in homes and in store) that quite honestly were a waste of money imo. If you don't want to do any drywall repair etc. to get the side surrounds replaced to a better position, and the Atmos moved into a better position, you might be heading down that waste of money street.

My advice...5.1 is pretty darn good when done properly so make the 5.1 work first and build off that. As you said, try to use the existing in ceiling speakers (although not ideal placement, but where they currently are located) as atmos, and see how you like it. I started with 2 atmos, and went to 4...four is much better than two from my experience.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That's the thing with surround, every room isn't the same. Thing is, there are always options. From putting speakers on or in the ceiling to putting speakers at the top of the ceiling with brackets to angle them down. Start out with original manufacturer's recommendations and work out from there.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Are atmos speakers used as height1/2 input on back of the Marantz sr6013?
In other words, is the HEIGHT1 input on back used for Atmos (I have SVS Elevation) speakers

Yea, since you don't want to move anything, the only thing you can do is get some ear level surround speakers. Then use the ceiling speakers as atmos speakers. That will still be an improvement from what you have. You can get some inexpensive small bookshelf speakers and mount them to the wall to the sides of your couch.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Welcome to AH!

I have atmos, while my space was not ideal for a 7.2.4 system, , I was able to get a 5.2.4 system to fit great with the 4 in ceiling atmos speakers in pretty good position according to the Dolby Atmos layout diagram.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

I do like what it delivers, but I've heard some atmos setups both (in homes and in store) that quite honestly were a waste of money imo. If you don't want to do any drywall repair etc. to get the side surrounds replaced to a better position, and the Atmos moved into a better position, you might be heading down that waste of money street.

My advice...5.1 is pretty darn good when done properly so make the 5.1 work first and build off that. As you said, try to use the existing in ceiling speakers (although not ideal placement, but where they currently are located) as atmos, and see how you like it. I started with 2 atmos, and went to 4...four is much better than two from my experience.

Thanks for this info, in regards to the rear heights for Atmos, do we point them straight down or tilted downwards center of listening area?

I currently have 2 top center Elevations for Atmos heights and I am loving it!

John Wick sounds incredible - I felt like I needed to grab my umbrella during one of the scenes.

Would adding rear top be better than front top?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for this info, in regards to the rear heights for Atmos, do we point them straight down or tilted downwards center of listening area?

I currently have 2 top center Elevations for Atmos heights and I am loving it!

John Wick sounds incredible - I felt like I needed to grab my umbrella during one of the scenes.

Would adding rear top be better than front top?
If we're talking about inceiling speakers...I can add something here. I don't know much about the speaker top atmos speakers.

In ceiling...If you have adjustable tweeters, it will help to aim them at the seating area below. Aside from that, the speaker has a dispersion area, as long as the listener is within that dispersion area you should be good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis