Atmos Soundbar with projector (no arc)

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I just purchased a projector without any HDMI ARC and I was curious if there was any way I can achieve Atmos sound on a soundbar without any HDMI Arc.

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
I am leaning toward the Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 if that makes a difference

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
This community is going to tell you to avoid a soundbar. For much less you can get this non-atmos system that will sound far better:

And for a bit more you can get this atmos system that will also sound far better:

5.1 is the biggest impact, while moving to 7.1 or higher has much less impact on the experience. That's why everyone recommends having an excellent 5.1 setup before worrying about atmos or anything else.

Does that help?

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
This community is going to tell you to avoid a soundbar. For much less you can get this non-atmos system that will sound far better:

And for a bit more you can get this atmos system that will also sound far better:

5.1 is the biggest impact, while moving to 7.1 or higher has much less impact on the experience. That's why everyone recommends having an excellent 5.1 setup before worrying about atmos or anything else.

Does that help?
Hi, thanks for the note. I am no audiophile and I'm just attached to the convenience of a soundbar. I've put together component systems like the above in the past and I just don't want to have to worry about running wires teaching my wife and kids which inputs they need to use for which activity, etc.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
The soundbar and speakers all still need some wire to them - power or signal, so that shouldn't make a big difference once it's installed. There are wireless speaker systems but good ones might be pushing you well out of budget.

From a soundbar perspective there are a few decent reviews out there. Audioholics liked the Polk offering for 5.1

If you're doing a soundbar then I wouldn't worry much about Atmos. The speakers that reflect on the ceiling don't do much, so you're better off with an awesome 5.1/7.1.
I'd be much more confident buying from a brand like JBL or Klipsch or any of the higher end brands since they should put sound quality high up on the priority list. JBL has one with truly wireless surround speakers too:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Since the soundbar will go under the screen, you'll still have to wire an optical cable to it from the receiver. That won't get you Atmos (granted, Atmos with a soundbar is more gimmick than anything) so you may have to run a second HDMI and use a splitter that won't mess up the audio signal. Those aren't cheap.

What's your room layout look like?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just can't imagine that anyone wold set up a projection system and then want a sound bar! You may not be an audiophile but anyone who isn't stone deaf will far prefer a couple of decent speakers to a sound bar.

It sounds to me two or three good speakers will meet your needs just fine. Trying to get Atmos out of a sound bar is just a totally dishonest con. It is simply awful and will be far worse then just two decent speakers.

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
I just can't imagine that anyone wold set up a projection system and then want a sound bar! You may not be an audiophile but anyone who isn't stone deaf will far prefer a couple of decent speakers to a sound bar.

It sounds to me two or three good speakers will meet your needs just fine. Trying to get Atmos out of a sound bar is just a totally dishonest con. It is simply awful and will be far worse then just two decent speakers.
The "soundbar" I am considering is actually a soundbar plus 6 speakers including two subs, so I'm not sure if it is technically even a soundbar.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The "soundbar" I am considering is actually a soundbar plus 6 speakers including two subs, so I'm not sure if it is technically even a soundbar.
Well then, please enlighten us on what you are considering. What you are considering sounds suspiciously like HTIB in disguise, in which case it will be absolute junk and something to absolutely avoid.

If you have gone to the trouble of putting in a projector, you need to do this job properly. When it really comes down to it 90% of the enjoyment and total immersion comes from the audio and not the video. To make this project of yours justify what you have put into it so far, then the audio has to be commensurate or no one will be happy.
I am very worried you are at risk of being seduced by that pit of junk demons. I can tell you that pit is large and pretty full right now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is because the front three channels (or 5) and the height are all in the soundbar. The side surround and back surround aren't.

Have you heard it in person? It's a good brand for sure, but I just wonder if you'd spend a lot and not be satisfied.

You might better off with a good LCR set and maybe some of those upfiring atmos speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
Well then, please enlighten us on what you are considering. What you are considering sounds suspiciously like HTIB in disguise, in which case it will be absolute junk and something to absolutely avoid.

If you have gone to the trouble of putting in a projector, you need to do this job properly. When it really comes down to it 90% of the enjoyment and total immersion comes from the audio and not the video. To make this project of yours justify what you have put into it so far, then the audio has to be commensurate or no one will be happy.
I am very worried you are at risk of being seduced by that pit of junk demons. I can tell you that pit is large and pretty full right now.
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4, have heard it in person and it seemed like a great value that I would be happy with for years to come.

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
It is because the front three channels (or 5) and the height are all in the soundbar. The side surround and back surround aren't.

Have you heard it in person? It's a good brand for sure, but I just wonder if you'd spend a lot and not be satisfied.

You might better off with a good LCR set and maybe some of those upfiring atmos speakers.
That makes sense, thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That makes sense, thank you.
I see you posted what you intended in a lower post. I can tell you that the only shock you will get, will how miserable it sounds for the dollars spent. It is all puff and hype an no proper specs. Then you will have the next shock soon, when one unit in the POS stops working and the whole rig will be destined for the recycling center. That is just the sort of rubbish to avoid at all costs.

By the way that is not the fine Nakamichi of old. The name was bought out of bankruptcy by some Chinese Charlatans to trade on past glories, who trade under the glorious name of Nimble Holdings. Be warned!

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
I see you posted what you intended in a lower post. I can tell you that the only shock you will get, will how miserable it sounds for the dollars spent. It is all puff and hype an no proper specs. Then you will have the next shock soon, when one unit in the POS stops working and the whole rig will be destined for the recycling center. That is just the sort of rubbish to avoid at all costs.

By the way that is not the fine Nakamichi of old. The name was bought out of bankruptcy by some Chinese Charlatans to trade on past glories, who trade under the glorious name of Nimble Holdings. Be warned!
Well ok then, no soundbar for me. Perhaps, I just get a 5.1 or even a stereo setup for around the same price that is upgradable, and do it slowly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well ok then, no soundbar for me. Perhaps, I just get a 5.1 or even a stereo setup for around the same price that is upgradable, and do it slowly.
I would. That soundbar is $1500. That money can be spent on something you'll keep for YEARS. If the main soundbar goes out, then the entire system is dead. That's never a good thing.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is a much better plan and you're likely to get much better results!

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
If it were me, for a little less money I'd much prefer to have Audioengine HD6 powered speakers with an SVS PB-1000 subwoofer. For the same money you could get the 12" PB-2000 but that may be overkill with bookshelf speakers without carefully dialing it in.

For a lot less money you can get something similar that's still a lot better than that soundbar setup, like these Klipsch R-51PM powered speakers with a Klipsch R-10SW sub.

I understand you highly value the convenience of a simple package without a big complicated AVR, and a setup like these retains that convenience and simplicity but provide much better sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis