Atmos Reciever - Denon vs Marantz

P

powermang

Enthusiast
Afternoon,

I have a dedicated movie room and I am currently running a 7.1 set up with a Yamaha RX-V577 and Polk Blackstone TL3 speakers. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my receiver to something with Atmos to better utilize my 7 speakers.

I'm wondering what some good options might be, I really don't know what receiver would best match the speakers I already have. I've been looking mostly at marantz and denon, although I'm open to other brands also. I do like the "warm" description of Marantz sound but I wonder if that matters much as this set up is primarily for movies not music and is it worth the extra $?

Looking to spend somewhere is the 1000 to 1500 range. any advice would be appreciated.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company if you didnt know that. The general consensus seems to be that Denon is the better value right now, especially if you grab one of last years models like I just did. The X3400 is going for cheap right now if 5.1.4 is ok, but the x4400 will do 7.1.4 with a 2 channel amp. Ive had both receivers before setting on the 4400 and its a fine performer. I came from an older Marantz and the Denon is blowing it away. Atmos is pretty awesome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you plan on mounting the speakers you have on the ceiling?

I'd disregard that reputation about Marantz being warmer...especially with current Denon & Marantz products as they are far more similar than different.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for replying, This is good to know. I had it in my head that marantz is superior.

I'm looking at a 7.1.2 set up.

So you're interested in more than simply using your current 7 speakers....if you really want the immersive tech (like Atmos/DTS:X) that is different than using your current 7 speaker format. Generally to improve your experience I'd say aim at better speakers, not just additional speakers. However, the additional speakers do give you access to a different format, which may or may not be worth the expense of a new avr to you....

P

powermang

Enthusiast
So you're interested in more than simply using your current 7 speakers....if you really want the immersive tech (like Atmos/DTS:X) that is different than using your current 7 speaker format. Generally to improve your experience I'd say aim at better speakers, not just additional speakers. However, the additional speakers do give you access to a different format, which may or may not be worth the expense of a new avr to you....
So...if I'm reading between the lines, are you saying that upgrading to an atmos receiver with my current speaker set up may not give me a much different experience than what I have now?

I can do atmos with the 7.1.2 set up as displayed in the diagram, can't I ?

My long term plan was to upgrade my receiver and then over the next couple years invest in better LR and C. Like you say I'm kind of excited to get into the format.

Would assume the TL3's would be more than adequate for the surrounds.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I
So...if I'm reading between the lines, are you saying that upgrading to an atmos receiver with my current speaker set up may not give me a much different experience than what I have now?

My long term plan was to upgrade my receiver and then over the next couple years invest in better LR and C. Like you say I'm kind of excited to get into the format.

The speakers will definitely have the most impact on SQ, but for Atmos...I would recommend wiring for a 7.1 system, but go with a 5.1.4 system initially and expand if you see fit later...4 atmos speakers are more convincing than 2 imo and the vast major of content will be in 5.1 format.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I can vouch for 7.2.4 being awesome! Its a whole nother level of surrounds and very worth it, even if only some content use it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for replying, This is good to know. I had it in my head that marantz is superior.
That is understandable, as hearsay is very powerful, plus D&M marketing and customer support probably seemed to start planting such ideas in their potential customers head since the time they joined force. The fact is, their AVRs are very comparable, while both brands made high end integrated amp. In Japan, Denon's integrated are even higher end than Marantz (price wise.), so both have the capability to make "superior" products.

If you are interested in others thoughts on the M vs D, I have a thread on the topic.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/denon-vs-marantz-facts-marketing-hypes-best-available-deals-what-else.112571/

I would never recommend the SR7012 over the AVR-X4400H because you would pay much more simply for the multi-channel analog pre-outs and the inaudible effects of the HDAM, but things just changed because the gap between the two has now narrowed to "only" $300. That is still a lot of money for nothing that would result in better sound quality, but if you have the idea in your head already, I think you may as well go for the Marantz. It was $1799 only days ago, now $1199.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-XUQNQ5Y7UGM/p_642SR7012/Marantz-SR7012.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iK0nydlx5wJ/p_033AVX4400/Denon-AVR-X4400H-IN-Command.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you have the room, the more the merrier. :D

But any of these configurations will do, especially if your room is no bigger than 18x20x10.

What is your room size?

Now for a commercial break. :D

I was just browsing for ceiling speakers and came across the Def Tech 8" ceiling speakers. According to Def Tech, this little thing can do 26Hz-30kHz! :D

I mean we've seen some stupid specs from DefTech before, but 26Hz on an 8-inch ceiling speaker?

That is some good laugh in the morning. :D

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/di-8r

Okay, commercial break over. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can vouch for 7.2.4 being awesome! Its a whole nother level of surrounds and very worth it, even if only some content use it.
Seem like you are really into Atmos, aside from BR disc, how else are you getting 7.2.4 movies? I have all the amps I need for 7.1.4, but still wondering if I should wait for more availability without having to buy more BRs considering the time and efforts needed to mount 4 more speakers and hiding four long runs of wires.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seem like you are really into Atmos, aside from BR disc, how else are you getting 7.2.4 movies? I have all the amps I need for 7.1.4, but still wondering if I should wait for more availability without having to buy more BRs considering the time and efforts needed to mount 4 more speakers and hiding four long runs of wires.
Probably from iTunes and Netflix.

I can vouch for 4 Atmos speakers also because I think just 2 Atmos speakers will be overpowered by the rest of the 5-7 regular speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably from iTunes and Netflix.

I can vouch for 4 Atmos speakers also because I think just 2 Atmos speakers will be overpowered by the rest of the 5-7 regular speakers.
Thanks, but I bet that Netflix US, not CA..:(, will do some research on this..

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
We've streamed a few movies. Generally just the netflix originals that arent available on disk. It's not good. Even without atmos streaming its a waste of a nice sound system. Blurays are still the only option for amazing audio.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

If I’m looking at the right image that you posted, that includes a pair of upfiring modules piece on top of the mains. I would absolutely recommend pushing forward to Atmos land, but you’ll need to buy a couple pairs(one at least) of speakers. Either AE(atmos enabled) or one or two pairs for the ceiling. Fwiw, if it’s not toooooo much for you, I would also recommend x.x.4 vs x.x.2
IME 5.x.4 is better than 7.x.2
Edit: if the above has been covered and I missed it, I’ll go in a time out...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

If you change just avr without changing speaker setup, you aren't getting any of the benefits of the immersive tech. If you're adding speakers (which your post didn't indicate) on the ceiling that's going to let you take advantage of the immersive tech for Atmos/DTS:X type soundtracks (or upmixing older content). I thought you were talking about taking your current 7 speakers and placing two of them on the ceiling (5.1.2) format and I was more curious how you were going to mount two of the TL3s up on the ceiling.. Personally I'd go 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 if I were going to go with the immersive tech (and I haven't as I am not ready to get into the ceiling mounting at this time). The dimensions of your room and where your seating is also come into play...

P

powermang

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I've attached a screen shot of the front half of my media room. My LCR speaker placement is based on pre wiring that had been done in this room.

with 5.1.4 in mind wondering about placing atmos add on speakers L and R on the built in cabinetry. Would this be crazy considering my regular L&Rs would be above?
IMG_4306.jpg

L

Leemix

Audioholic General

I've attached a screen shot of the front half of my media room. My LCR speaker placement is based on pre wiring that had been done in this room.

with 5.1.4 in mind wondering about placing atmos add on speakers L and R on the built in cabinetry. Would this be crazy considering my regular L&Rs would be above?View attachment 25863
Suppose you could move the center down and use with new L R speakers and use the high ones as front heights. Getting upfiering atmos speakers to work with LCR that high would be crazy yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

with 5.1.4 in mind wondering about placing atmos add on speakers L and R on the built in cabinetry. Would this be crazy considering my regular L&Rs would be above?View attachment 25863
Sorry but that would absolutely not work at all. What might work is putting the mains where you’ve indicated to put the add ons. You would then run the avr with “front height”(not the same as old skool pliiz)vs top height. You’d also need to lower the center channel. That should be simple.
this image shows the difference locations supported.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis