Atmos on Android but not Apple TV

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hey
I am a bit puzzled by a weird thing I have come across on Apple Music:
I was trying to find out if George Michael music was available in Dolby Atmos. (Some of it is). Looking at a couple of albums, e.g. Twenty five it shows as Atmos on my Android phone but not on Apple TV... Has anyone else experienced this?
I wish Apple would allow you to filter your search so only Atmos music was shown... A bit tiresome having to open an album to see the format

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey
I am a bit puzzled by a weird thing I have come across on Apple Music:
I was trying to find out if George Michael music was available in Dolby Atmos. (Some of it is). Looking at a couple of albums, e.g. Twenty five it shows as Atmos on my Android phone but not on Apple TV... Has anyone else experienced this?
I wish Apple would allow you to filter your search so only Atmos music was shown... A bit tiresome having to open an album to see the format
Not sure if this is part of the problem you have or if it’s something you already know about, but if you added the song or album to your collection prior to an Atmos update of that album, then, you have to delete the song or album then add it again in Atmos. (Same situation to get lossless)

I deleted most or possibly all of my stuff then re-added it after lossless and Atmos were added. Keep in mind if you actually go a step further and download it, the size will be larger for an Atmos song or entire album.

I have iPhone so I’m not familiar if android does anything special with Apple Music.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Funny thing is that I added it to my library using my phone. And that displayed it as Atmos... Could I persuade someone using iPhone to try and see what formats GM's 25 compilation album is available in?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Funny thing is that I added it to my library using my phone. And that displayed it as Atmos... Could I persuade someone using iPhone to try and see what formats GM's 25 compilation album is available in?
On my iPhone, I see Twenty Five from 2006 in Lossless but not Atmos.

Several other GM albums show Atmos though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Same here on iPhone. GM 25 is displayed as “Lossless” with tracks in 16/44.1, though it contains some tracks in Atmos.
DC74FBA7-525A-4B92-A7CB-6C72A759ECE4.jpeg

Amazon Music Unlimited has a “Clean” version of the album that displays as “Ultra HD” and Atmos on iPhone. Some songs are “HD” as in 16/44.1 and some “Ultra HD” with some at 24/44.1 and at least one at 24/96. Selected tracks are available in Atmos like in the Apple Music version.
F698C9D3-4BDF-47E6-889C-E86B44B49324.jpeg

While albums featuring Dolby Atmos in Apple Music can be played in Dolby Atmos via Apple TV 4K, Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos tracks are not supported on Apple TV 4K and only two channel versions of those tracks are available for playback.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That makes sense why he could get confused. Certain tracks are Atmos but not others on the same album. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You’d think Apple would apply the Atmos label to the album on its own service using their own devices.o_O

D

depechefan

Audioholic
The issue is that I have no way of actually using it to play in Atmos in my home cinema...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple TV 4K will output the Atmos tracks in Atmos. What is it about your system that will not output Atmos?

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Well... The whole point is that the album is NOT Atmos on the ATV. Only on my Android phone

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple Music album’s Atmos tracks will play in Atmos using the Apple TV 4K even though the album is labeled “Lossless.” I’m currently listening to “Last Christmas” from the album in Atmos using my Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:
D

depechefan

Audioholic
Interesting. I will try that. It didn't play Atmos last time I tried though

D

depechefan

Audioholic
You're right, Trepdb83. Last Christmas is indeed Atmos. I was interested in Careless Whisper and that is unfortunately "just" stereo... But at least it makes a bit more sense now

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It’s silly that you have to select each track on the album in Apple Music using an iPhone or Apple TV 4K to see which tracks are available in Atmos as the tracks are not labeled as such when viewing all of the album tracks.

This not the case when using the Amazon Music app on iOS and an Atmos label is attached to the album and to each track that can be played in Atmos when viewing all of the album tracks.

Amazon and Apple have some of the same and some different tracks available in Atmos on this particular album. Neither have “Careless Whisper” available in Atmos from this or any other album that I can find.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I always know it’s switching to Atmos because of the 3 sec pause. LOL :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis