ATMOS: MartinLogan Motion 4i vs Klipsch R-41SA

MartinLogan Motion 4i or Klipsch R-41SA for ATMOS speakers.

• MartinLogan Motion 4i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Klipsch R-41SA

• Other (please comment your suggestion)

• Total voters
Cylon

Cylon

Audiophyte
HI Everyone,

I’m looking into expanding my 5.1 system into a 5.1.2 system, by adding a wall-mounted pair of height channels. I’m in an apartment, so in-ceiling is out, and I am not using speakers in a bouncy house configuration. The irregular shaped room is wide, but not very deep, and my primary seat is unfortunately on the right side, not centered. So I’m concerned about dispersion patterns being wide enough.

I’m considering a pair of MartinLogan Motion 4i or Klipsch R-41SA.

Current system:
Receiver: Denon x4400h
Left/Right: MartinLogan 35xt
Center: MartinLogan 50xt
Rear L/R: MartinLogan LX16
Sub: MartinLogan Dynamo 700

I’m open to other suggestions in the price range of these speakers, including discontinued/used ones. I know the 4i would be the better voice match, but I’m curious how noticeable that is vs the Klipsch, which I’m guessing, is designed better for Atmos use/wider dispersion. Also, always liked the look of Klipsch’s copper woofer, which might be what’s really tempting me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Cylon

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think those other speakers but these are really ideal for Atmos.

Comes with mounts and everything. Seems like an excellent product. I'm looking to buy a pair in the next few months.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

N

nonametofame

Audiophyte
HI Everyone,

I’m looking into expanding my 5.1 system into a 5.1.2 system, by adding a wall-mounted pair of height channels. I’m in an apartment, so in-ceiling is out, and I am not using speakers in a bouncy house configuration. The irregular shaped room is wide, but not very deep, and my primary seat is unfortunately on the right side, not centered. So I’m concerned about dispersion patterns being wide enough.

I’m considering a pair of MartinLogan Motion 4i or Klipsch R-41SA.

Current system:
Receiver: Denon x4400h
Left/Right: MartinLogan 35xt
Center: MartinLogan 50xt
Rear L/R: MartinLogan LX16
Sub: MartinLogan Dynamo 700

I’m open to other suggestions in the price range of these speakers, including discontinued/used ones. I know the 4i would be the better voice match, but I’m curious how noticeable that is vs the Klipsch, which I’m guessing, is designed better for Atmos use/wider dispersion. Also, always liked the look of Klipsch’s copper woofer, which might be what’s really tempting me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Cylon
I've used the Motion 4i for awhile now with my ML setup (similar to yours, but I have the 60XTs up front, and Motion FX2s as surrounds. If you can mount another set of LX16s, that would be ideal. But if they're too heavy or too deep, the Motion 4is should fill the bill, especially if your room isn't massive. Cross them high (like 150-200hz) on your AVR. They're light and shallow, so bass is anemic.
I also considered replacing them with something more robust like the Ascend Sierra Lunas since they use a similar ribbon tweeter - http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/luna/luna.html
I've also used the Polk OMW3s and SVS elevations in smaller secondary room dedicated to gaming, and the Polks surprisingly aren't bad. SVS were only slightly better, imo.
If I were in your shoes, I'd go cheap on the atmos, and allocate any funds towards another subwoofer, or perhaps a bigger sub. If you're perfect happy with your bass, then I think the Motion 4is are a safe bet.
Good luck!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many like the NHT Super Zero as a smaller Speaker that can easily be wall mounted for Atmos type applications. I personally have not heard them, but they are said to be pretty neutral and accurate. A few of the cats I know that have mentioned these are pairing them with Salk or Philharmonic Speakers.

Cylon

Cylon

Audiophyte
I've used the Motion 4i for awhile now with my ML setup (similar to yours, but I have the 60XTs up front, and Motion FX2s as surrounds. If you can mount another set of LX16s, that would be ideal. But if they're too heavy or too deep, the Motion 4is should fill the bill, especially if your room isn't massive. Cross them high (like 150-200hz) on your AVR. They're light and shallow, so bass is anemic.
I also considered replacing them with something more robust like the Ascend Sierra Lunas since they use a similar ribbon tweeter - http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/luna/luna.html
I've also used the Polk OMW3s and SVS elevations in smaller secondary room dedicated to gaming, and the Polks surprisingly aren't bad. SVS were only slightly better, imo.
If I were in your shoes, I'd go cheap on the atmos, and allocate any funds towards another subwoofer, or perhaps a bigger sub. If you're perfect happy with your bass, then I think the Motion 4is are a safe bet.
Good luck!
I hear the suggestion to focus on subs often, but I’m in an apartment, so I’ve avoided going that direction. Unfortunately the sub I have is turned way down as it is, wouldn’t make sense in my case to buy another one, only to have it at or near mute.

N

nonametofame

Audiophyte
ah, sorry to hear that. It's a huge YMMV on apt, as I've had PB16s in my HT, and my neighbor tells me it's not that audible. I think your setup is just fine, but you may benefit from external amps to offload power from your Denon. What I gained from using amps was more dynamic range, and clarity at LOWER volumes. That's YMMV as well, but I've read many reports from those going from internal amps to external amps have experienced similar improvements.
Also look out for the previous closeout Motion 4s (not 4is), with the only different being the grills on the 4i are removable.

Cylon

Cylon

Audiophyte
Update: found a good deal on a used MartinLogan Motion 15. So now I’m looking for deal on another cherry finish Motion 15 to match it. Once I have the pair, I’ll use them as my rear channels, and use my LX16s as heights.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis